who is with you?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I realised today I am afraid of life.

Not because I am afraid of life, but because my mum was afraid for me.

She told me today, how scared she was raising a child with diabetes, especially a stubborn child like me.

I love my mum but her fear is always with me. I keep asking myself whether I will be all right. Scared of what might go wrong, it's all I experience. I used to be even more afraid, my mind filled with ridiculous scenarios of what might go wrong.

I figured, it might be her fear? I am afraid for no good reason. I know that. But it is true I am afraid of everything. I can feel the fear and hear my thoughts, repeatedly asking whether I'll be fine, whether I'll survive another day. Those thoughts are not my own.

I think that we are all a bit afraid of life because after all it contains the unexpected. You have to just think positively and life each moment at a time. Nothing can really go wrong and you have to have an 'actually I can' attitude and you will go far :)

I guess it is bound to be that way when someone brings you up repeatedly conditioning you with the same thoughts and worries and fears. You can grow out of it.. not overnight though. And if you don't think you "fear" what she fears then, you could at least now try to tune your thinking of those thoughts as a reminder so that you can take care of yourself. Not sure if I got this right, but I hope it works out for you.

Hang in there, sometimes parents when they love their child so much can go overboard with the protection, and end up doing more damage than what they were protecting them from. I would say that weather they were originally your fears or hers, they have become your fears. I would recommend taking each fear one at a time, take time to look to see if it is a beneficial fear, if not then one by one find ways to face the irrational fears. It will take some time, but the more irrational fears you can conquer the better off you will be. Take care

for me, my dad always had a crippling fear of heights. as kids he always avoided them and made us all feel like it was a family trait. as if our DNA was passed on through generations of Acrophobia.
I thought I was afraid of heights until I was at least 20years old. then one day while at work I had to work up a ladder, and fell 30ft onto a concrete floor, not breaking a bone but bruising my feet and walking with a cane for 3 months after. it then took me quite a while to get back up the ladder again anywhere close to that high.
but over time, I found myself challenging my fears and going higher and higher when I had the chance. learning to ignore my fear.
until a few years ago when I took a job as a swing-stage glazier changing windows in sky scrapers 40+ stories tall.
and I loved it!
I found that not only was I NOT scared of heights.. but I liked it! and wanted to go higher and higher. I have absolutely 0 fear of heights now.
after the job contract was done and I moved to another job, I find myself feeling the urge every once in a while to climb. I can operate an 80ft boom and laugh at the peoples faces beside me as they grasp the rails.

so in the end, it seems it was only my fathers fears put onto us.
but then again.. maybe that's a parents job? to help you stay clear of things they fear. even if it is only in their own minds..

A mothers fears for her child are always irrational and always necessary. Be thankful that your mother cared enough to worry about you.

But I'm afraid (no pun intended) that to be afraid of life makes you a coward. Decide right now if you want to be a coward or not. Nothing wrong with being a coward - they often live long and fruitful lives...but usually are too afraid to do anything truly memorable ;).

I agree, mothers can be very very protective. For example I'm 30 years old and still to this day my mother worries for my own well being. She sometimes worries for no reason, and I picked up how I tend to worry myself for my own well being. It's like her worrying tends to affect me, and in the end I'm left feeling confused. Every mother tends to worry over their child.

I'm sure though once you start doing things on your own more your mother will probably worry a lot more, but once she see's that you'll be okay it will put her at ease. Our minds tend to race like crazy and we worry over the same thing over and over. Try relaxing one day by yourself and reminding yourself that you'll be okay. It might not take affect right away but if you keep reminding yourself that you'll be okay, it will put your mind at ease. Hope I helped you out in some way. =)

Sam_Wright_1988 said:
I realised today I am afraid of life.

Not because I am afraid of life, but because my mum was afraid for me.

She told me today, how scared she was raising a child with diabetes, especially a stubborn child like me.

I love my mum but her fear is always with me. I keep asking myself whether I will be all right. Scared of what might go wrong, it's all I experience. I used to be even more afraid, my mind filled with ridiculous scenarios of what might go wrong.

I figured, it might be her fear? I am afraid for no good reason. I know that. But it is true I am afraid of everything. I can feel the fear and hear my thoughts, repeatedly asking whether I'll be fine, whether I'll survive another day. Those thoughts are not my own.

I had exactly the same experience, or should I say have, because it still haven't gone away. It is really great that you understand that those are not your thoughts, it took me many years. Keep doing things!

My mother was the same way. Certain things I remember growing up with... Were very hard to "break free" of. Not being allowed to do certain things, and always "playing it safe" sucks. You miss out on a lot. It has been a good few years since her over-protectiveness. Still working some "learned habits" out! lol

So, you now know that there's a whole bunch of people who have, or do have, the same issue! :)

*hugs* I think mothers are just prone to worrying and hoping that you'll have a "successful" life. But remember, what they want is not necessarily what you want. And life's short anyway, everyone has a few falls and failures. *hugs again*

Latest posts

Back