Why Be Nice?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sean

Honestly, what's the point of being nice in life?
I'm quite certain that if you put the gains/benefits and costs of being nice on a metaphorical scale, it would seem that the '******* route' would be better.
It's just human nature, you can't blame them for it. People generally take advantage of kind people and will walk all over them if they can.

I always hear . . 'nice guys come last',
Why, as a guy, should I always be nice/kind to others?
It seems, in our society, that the guys who act like/are jerks are always the ones who 'win'.
Winning, in the sense that they seem to always have the friends, attractive girlfriends, confidence, respect . . etc.

/nice.

Discuss.

SocratesX said:
Yes nice guys finish last. You hit the nail on the head.

Someone should hit you on the head for being intentionally dense.

No, nice guys do NOT finish last. Nice guys who make excuses and refuse to work for what they want finish last. Nice guys who are lazy finish last. Nice guys who don't do anything about their situation finish last.

Nice guys who take matters into their own hands (AND REMAIN NICE) do NOT finish last.

'Nuff said.

Badjedidude said:
SocratesX said:
Yes nice guys finish last. You hit the nail on the head.

Someone should hit you on the head for being intentionally dense.

No, nice guys do NOT finish last. Nice guys who make excuses and refuse to work for what they want finish last. Nice guys who are lazy finish last. Nice guys who don't do anything about their situation finish last.

Nice guys who take matters into their own hands (AND REMAIN NICE) do NOT finish last.

'Nuff said.

Yeah, what BJD said. I was just too tired to type anything more than a one-liner.

It's important to distinguish between being courteous, kind, or well-mannered and being a wishy-washy doormat. People generally associate 'nice' with being the latter.

My partner and I at work (actually, my entire shift at work) conduct ourselves in a very kind, courteous, honest manner, and we're probably the most successful, accomplished crew in the organization. Not to toot my own horn, but it's true. We kick ass on work details and patients love us. My partner is the best example. He is the nicest, happiest, funniest guy to talk to and easy to get along with, unless you try to weasel something or wrong somebody. He doesn't hesitate to let you know.

That's the catch, we don't let people walk on us. Be nice, treat people how you want to be treated, all that good stuff. But when you are treated in a way you -don't- want to be treated, or when something isn't right, you say something. Generally speaking, people respect you enough because of your usual demeanor that they will listen on that basis. If not, well, just stand up for yourself.

I believe the saying goes, "Speak softly, and carry a big stick". This is one of the prime factors that makes an actual alpha male, not just being a meatheaded *******. That bites you in the ass in it's own way.

Brian said:
It's important to distinguish between being courteous, kind, or well-mannered and being a wishy-washy doormat. People generally associate 'nice' with being the latter.

My partner and I at work (actually, my entire shift at work) conduct ourselves in a very kind, courteous, honest manner, and we're probably the most successful, accomplished crew in the organization. Not to toot my own horn, but it's true. We kick ass on work details and patients love us. My partner is the best example. He is the nicest, happiest, funniest guy to talk to and easy to get along with, unless you try to weasel something or wrong somebody. He doesn't hesitate to let you know.

That's the catch, we don't let people walk on us. Be nice, treat people how you want to be treated, all that good stuff. But when you are treated in a way you -don't- want to be treated, or when something isn't right, you say something. Generally speaking, people respect you enough because of your usual demeanor that they will listen on that basis. If not, well, just stand up for yourself.

I believe the saying goes, "Speak softly, and carry a big stick". This is one of the prime factors that makes an actual alpha male, not just being a meatheaded *******. That bites you in the ass in it's own way.

Hmm, I definately need to work on standing up for myself,
Only recently have I got better at it,

Thanks for the reply.

Because Karma is a *****? No, I think that's revenge. Wait no it is Karma. If you're a nice guy there'd be lots of people in your funeral. Unless you outlive your friends. But their kids will show up. However, on the other hand if you're an ******* you'll make a lot of people happy by dying. So there's that.

I'm nice when need to be, and a ***** when needed. But really Brian is right in what he says. When I was younger I was door mat nice, now I'll tell you when you get on my bad side luckly it's a bit harder to make me turn super *****.

Why be nice?

Because it's not worth it, imo, to be miserable and nasty in life. I'm not going to waste my time and my energy being a miserable ***** to everyone, especially if no one has done anything to me. If someone treats me horribly, then sure, I'll be ready to swing. But other than that, I see no reason to be mean and nasty.

Hi there, no I wouldn't say this is true. Always be a nice person and do the morally right thing. Anything good is worth waiting for. The A****** route may look more appealing but I would question whether these routes make people truely happy, or do these types of desicions make long lasting happiness - I'd say probabaly not. Anything good is built on firm foundations. If you maintean your high standards you will seek out like mined people, when they come along they will notice you.

Treat me nice..I will be nice.
Treat me unkind..I can be ur favorite prick...

approproate...shift gears...adjust...flexiable

True gravity dont give a fresia if Im mean or nice.

I wouldn't want to feel like **** as a result of being mean to people.

From the movie ROAD HOUSE:
"........I want you to be nice until it's time to not be nice"

0CI355A said:
Because Karma is a *****? No, I think that's revenge. Wait no it is Karma. If you're a nice guy there'd be lots of people in your funeral. Unless you outlive your friends. But their kids will show up. However, on the other hand if you're an ******* you'll make a lot of people happy by dying. So there's that.

Ahah,
Having people at my funernal isn't my #1 priority in life ;).

Why? Because the douchebags & bitches of the world are more lonely & unhappy than the nice guys. Just because it seems like the route to success doesn't make it the right one, & it definitely doesn't mean that the "success" you may gain from it will even feel like an accomplishment.

I also agree with this guy:

'Nuff said.

You can be successful & nice, it's not impossible goal. I think we too often confuse "nice guys" with being spineless. It's **** hard work (for a lot of us) to be happy in life, & with yourself, but it's a feasible goal if you're willing to work really **** hard at it.

Sean said:
0CI355A said:

Ahah,
Having people at my funernal isn't my #1 priority in life ;).

Fair enough. Although I am much more leaning towards not being an *******. You treat people with respect and that's what you usually get in return.

Hi-
I don't believe in karma, just like I don't believe in a punishing god. I believe in doing the right thing not because we might (or might not) suffer or have revenge paid on us at some future date but because it's simply the right thing for humans to do. I agree with the golden rule - treat people the way you want to be treated. If you don't like being treated badly, why would you inflict this pain on others?

Teresa

I've always wanted to be 'nice' and 'good' for as far as I can remember. I think it's because of the way my dad is, the way I was raised and the earliest stories that influenced me: stories of knights, codes of honor and chivalry...
Also, the people throughout history who I have the utmost respect for and who have influenced me the most, all share atleast these things: their belief in the kindness of strangers, that every man/woman is inherently good and their gallant/'gentlemanesque' way of living.

I've always believed it's better to be nice, to stand up for those who can't and to possible die alone and poor, than to be an ******* who cheated and lied his way to the top. Can't say that I've ever questioned those principles, because they give my life a sense of meaning and they add colour to an otherwise grey existence. What more could I ask for?

I can see your point here, but i would always stick with being more like neutral, than going with the full ******* or full nice scheme.

Its like either you drink the whole 6 pack or none or only 3 :)

Latest posts

Back