question for the other lonely 30/40 somethings

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaches

Reaction score
how in the world do you do it? I know (really, really know from hard experience) that loneliness is just as bad in college and maybe worse, but I am finding it so unbelievably hard to make friends, sometimes I suspect it is because of the age, although other times I think it's just that I must be a very annoying person, and honestly I am at my wits' end.
After moving to a new country three years ago, I did all the things they say to do in self help websites and books, I went to meetings, pursued hobbies, volunteered, and for the last two years I managed to stay calm and hang on to the scarse faraway friends and family for support, but recently I see that I am beginning to "tailspin" so to speak, and I see myself begging for a connection with acquaintances, and even I realize that that is not very attractive. I hardly ever meet people my age who are not in couples, and the younger ones are not very interested in including me in their lives, so you can imagine I don't get many invitations.

Where do you find the strength to live alone day by day? this is really killing me, I changed place and life already 10 maybe? (!) times since I was 19 because I would get too lonely and depressed, I cannot keep doing like this for the rest of this life, this time I have to just stay in one place, but I just don't know what to do. Do you think this age (late 30) brings some special challenges?

I am looking for a therapist, but I already did a lot of work in that direction and I feel I rather need a coach, someone to tell me why I suck so much at making connections and how to improve, or why I am so hideous and unattractive (at this point, I must be doing something wrong).

I miss so much living in a community like college, haven't had a boyfriend in years, actually I must say I haven't seen single men in years, except for five or six who were incidentally really deranged people or geographically/chronologically unsuitable, the nice ones are taken, and anyway usually I am invisible. It doesn't really matter if I am some kilos overweight because now I don't care for relationships that are not first of all friendships, but still, men just don't like me, or they like me only for one thing, if they are really easygoing on the looks.

I know this attitude is very immature, and to be "grown up" I would have to suck it in an accept the loneliness, but I just have so much pain day in and day out, I cannot even take medications for it first because I can't for other physical problems, but also because the second I feel a bit loved, like, that second, this pain goes away like snow in the sun. After all I enjoy my own company, I don't know what boredom is, but if I don't feel emotional contact for even just some days I go into a panic and since this year also into depression.

I meditate, I try and have faith (don't believe in God but I believe in other things), I brainwashed myself into believing that "stranger is a friend you ve never met" stuff, but nothing changes, no one cares for me and I try to care for them nevertheless so at least there is some caring going on in my life but the pain is so vast, some days I fear I am going to lose the battle with this pain and do something extreme and final.
For many years of my life I have been very dramatic, talking about suicide but (almost) never doing it, now since an equal amount of years I am on the balanced side, but this time I am afraid one day I will just go away silently or start drinking. I am losing all hope.

Forgive me for this long post, and for the complaining, I don't know where to turn to, all this emotional pain is scaring me, I cannot resist much more. My nature would be to drown it into work, but that's what I did before, and then I would be so desperate that I would move somewhere else to start again, this is not a decent lifestyle, and the older you get the more difficult it is. Where do I find the minimum of happiness I need to survive?
I phantasize about throwing myself in front of busses to save children so at least my life is not completely wasted. This is a low point.

It isn't immature. We're all human.

People have this tendency to stick to their established friends as if there's some sort of friend quota that's been filled, but I think it's just that spare time is limited and they want to spend it with those whom they are familiar.

Sorry I've got no real advice... continue with the hobbies, maybe something like tramping or mountain biking involving longer outdoor excursions. Exercise helps lift your mood too.

I have no idea... I find myself in a very similar situation, so if u find a way, let me know plz. Its hard to cope with loneliness day by day. Sometimes I feel I cant bare it anymore, but we have to make our best.

Peaches said:
how in the world do you do it? I know (really, really know from hard experience) that loneliness is just as bad in college and maybe worse, but I am finding it so unbelievably hard to make friends, sometimes I suspect it is because of the age, although other times I think it's just that I must be a very annoying person, and honestly I am at my wits' end.
After moving to a new country three years ago, I did all the things they say to do in self help websites and books, I went to meetings, pursued hobbies, volunteered, and for the last two years I managed to stay calm and hang on to the scarse faraway friends and family for support, but recently I see that I am beginning to "tailspin" so to speak, and I see myself begging for a connection with acquaintances, and even I realize that that is not very attractive. I hardly ever meet people my age who are not in couples, and the younger ones are not very interested in including me in their lives, so you can imagine I don't get many invitations.

Where do you find the strength to live alone day by day? this is really killing me, I changed place and life already 10 maybe? (!) times since I was 19 because I would get too lonely and depressed, I cannot keep doing like this for the rest of this life, this time I have to just stay in one place, but I just don't know what to do. Do you think this age (late 30) brings some special challenges?

I am looking for a therapist, but I already did a lot of work in that direction and I feel I rather need a coach, someone to tell me why I suck so much at making connections and how to improve, or why I am so hideous and unattractive (at this point, I must be doing something wrong).

I miss so much living in a community like college, haven't had a boyfriend in years, actually I must say I haven't seen single men in years, except for five or six who were incidentally really deranged people or geographically/chronologically unsuitable, the nice ones are taken, and anyway usually I am invisible. It doesn't really matter if I am some kilos overweight because now I don't care for relationships that are not first of all friendships, but still, men just don't like me, or they like me only for one thing, if they are really easygoing on the looks.

I know this attitude is very immature, and to be "grown up" I would have to suck it in an accept the loneliness, but I just have so much pain day in and day out, I cannot even take medications for it first because I can't for other physical problems, but also because the second I feel a bit loved, like, that second, this pain goes away like snow in the sun. After all I enjoy my own company, I don't know what boredom is, but if I don't feel emotional contact for even just some days I go into a panic and since this year also into depression.

I meditate, I try and have faith (don't believe in God but I believe in other things), I brainwashed myself into believing that "stranger is a friend you ve never met" stuff, but nothing changes, no one cares for me and I try to care for them nevertheless so at least there is some caring going on in my life but the pain is so vast, some days I fear I am going to lose the battle with this pain and do something extreme and final.
For many years of my life I have been very dramatic, talking about suicide but (almost) never doing it, now since an equal amount of years I am on the balanced side, but this time I am afraid one day I will just go away silently or start drinking. I am losing all hope.

Forgive me for this long post, and for the complaining, I don't know where to turn to, all this emotional pain is scaring me, I cannot resist much more. My nature would be to drown it into work, but that's what I did before, and then I would be so desperate that I would move somewhere else to start again, this is not a decent lifestyle, and the older you get the more difficult it is. Where do I find the minimum of happiness I need to survive?
I phantasize about throwing myself in front of busses to save children so at least my life is not completely wasted. This is a low point.

Im sorry but all the 'nice ones' are not taken !

Then her problem is she doesn't know where the non taken nice ones in her area are. :p From the sounds of it she's tried various methods to find them but to no avail.

I just hit 30 myself, so I'll be in a similar situation in no time. For me I always just kind of knew this is how I would end up so it's been easier for me to accept. It helps too when I see a lot of the shitty relationships "or relationshits" as Dane Cook calls them that my friends have and can't help but think sometimes that I dodged a bullet. A friend of mine who looked like he had the perfect family once confided in me that he didn't love his wife at all, but stayed with her only for the sake of the kid. Outwardly the two of them put on the perfect married couple appearance and you wouldn't know it unless they told you otherwise.

Not sure what else to say, I've got my hobby that I've completely lost myself into at a passionate level, so its enough to keep the lonely at bay for the most part. But it sounds like you've tried that already.

Limlim said:
Then her problem is she doesn't know where the non taken nice ones in her area are. :p From the sounds of it she's tried various methods to find them but to no avail.

I just hit 30 myself, so I'll be in a similar situation in no time. For me I always just kind of knew this is how I would end up so it's been easier for me to accept. It helps too when I see a lot of the shitty relationships "or relationshits" as Dane Cook calls them that my friends have and can't help but think sometimes that I dodged a bullet. A friend of mine who looked like he had the perfect family once confided in me that he didn't love his wife at all, but stayed with her only for the sake of the kid. Outwardly the two of them put on the perfect married couple appearance and you wouldn't know it unless they told you otherwise.

Not sure what else to say, I've got my hobby that I've completely lost myself into at a passionate level, so its enough to keep the lonely at bay for the most part. But it sounds like you've tried that already.

whats your hobby ?

I have some hobbies that can be done alone. Hiking, geocaching, photography, jogging. I try to immerse myself in them.

I also go to Meetup groups (www.meetup.com). There are a couple of groups that I've made friends in. I actually met one woman who I'm "interested" in but since I'm pretty sure the feeling isn't mutual I haven't pursued it.

It did suck spending Thanksgiving alone and I have a feeling that Christmas is going to be worse, but I'm hoping to go for a long hike on Christmas day since most people will be with friends and family. I can have the whole trail to myself. :)

LonelyInAtl said:
I have some hobbies that can be done alone. Hiking, geocaching, photography, jogging. I try to immerse myself in them.

I also go to Meetup groups (www.meetup.com). There are a couple of groups that I've made friends in. I actually met one woman who I'm "interested" in but since I'm pretty sure the feeling isn't mutual I haven't pursued it.

It did suck spending Thanksgiving alone and I have a feeling that Christmas is going to be worse, but I'm hoping to go for a long hike on Christmas day since most people will be with friends and family. I can have the whole trail to myself. :)

I like photography too.

I may not be your age, but I find the strength to keep going for my kitty. Granted once she is gone then I will be gone.

You should really look on the bright side. You are right around a fairly common divorce age. I am sure some poor single dad will come along. I guess that is just part of being the ummm less than appealing. We get the scrapes and second hand goods that no one else wants anymore.

You have found some kind of strength to keep going if you are still here. I am sure you will keep finding it.

AFrozenSoul said:
I may not be your age, but I find the strength to keep going for my kitty. Granted once she is gone then I will be gone.

Amazing the huge value that such little things can have and what we will do for them.

So ya, 37 and single here. It's been almost a year for me now, both the age and the relationship status. ;) It does get harder the older one gets. The pool of possible romantic entanglements shrinks, platonic friendships are less likely as people our age tend to be more focused on career and family, and the club/bar/social scene can just become more and more depressing. Wait, this is a horrible argument! ;) Point being that there are so many different things that we can find fulfillment in besides relationships with others. The trick is finding what will work for you.

JasonM said:
Point being that there are so many different things that we can find fulfillment in besides relationships with others. The trick is finding what will work for you.

Fulfillment in some ways, yes. But not in other ways.

For example, I got a big promotion at work which pretty much doubled my pay. I went home and watched TV all night. I had no one to share in the excitement with me, no one to celebrate with, no one to pat me on the back and say "Good job, I'm proud of you."

AFrozenSoul said:
You should really look on the bright side. You are right around a fairly common divorce age. I am sure some poor single dad will come along. I guess that is just part of being the ummm less than appealing. We get the scrapes and second hand goods that no one else wants anymore.

And this is the bright side...
I didn't think there could be anyone here more negative than me... but.. whoa...that prize is yours

rdor said:
AFrozenSoul said:

And this is the bright side...
I didn't think there could be anyone here more negative than me... but.. whoa...that prize is yours.

*chokes laughing*

I'm 34 and I definitely agree that it is much harder to develop friendships now than, say, when I was in college. The weird thing is that I know way more people now than I did back then, but since people at this age are busy, it's very hard to develop a new friendship with anyone.

As for dating, I actually think it's strangely easier now than in college - I don't know if that's because to pool of available quality men has shrunk, or what, but I find a lot of women much more aggressive than they were in their 20s (for example, my neighbor started hitting on me only 2 weeks after my Jackie passed away - one of Jackie's friends made comments that made me uncomfortable only about 2-3 months after). Maybe it's different for women - I don't know. If you take the negativity out of the way FrozenSoul worded his comment, I think he's right - we are around the prime divorce age, and there are probably as many people coming onto the market as there are leaving.

By the way, Peaches, I saw a picture of you and you are good looking - don't be so down on yourself.

AFrozenSoul said:

OOH I pity the poor single dad who will come along - does he need a goddamn medal !

Scrapes and second hand goods,??? what about the people who were dumped on, beaten or cheated upon. Who have more to give than some people put together.

I think a village is missing an idiot somewhere (English phrase for someone who makes ridiculous statements).

Congratulations Frozen soul you are the first person on here to make me furious and quite possibly insulted every person reading it who is divorced, separated !

I'm 36. I find most people around my age are married, or at least have a partner, and more often than not they have children, sometimes children that are now teenagers. So I've been told by people that they don't have time for new friends, or even that they wouldn't be comfortable with having a single male as a friend. Plus, I find it very difficult to connect with people when you don't have the same experiences. By my age, a lot of people's primary concern in life is their family.

In trying to find a relationship, from a guys POV anyway I guess, most women around my age seem to want a man who has experience in raising and providing for a family. Which I obviously don't have. Sometimes they don't want any more children, where as I still want to be a father. And I think they want someone who is more confident and sexually experienced. I'm still a virgin, and although I don't broadcast that to all and sundry, I don't try to hide it either, since I think it is important for someone to know about me.

Although I've never had friends, I find the prospect of finding somewhere to meet people reducing as I get older. Interest groups, hobbies, have all been tried and exhausted. I just find myself left with the feeling that I've been left behind, and the more I try to catch up, the further behind I seem to fall. Been left on the shelf ....

monkeysox said:
AFrozenSoul said:

OOH I pity the poor single dad who will come along - does he need a goddamn medal !

Scrapes and second hand goods,??? what about the people who were dumped on, beaten or cheated upon. Who have more to give than some people put together.

I think a village is missing an idiot somewhere (English phrase for someone who makes ridiculous statements).

Congratulations Frozen soul you are the first person on here to make me furious and quite possibly insulted every person reading it who is divorced, separated !
I don't really agree 100% with Frozen soul or his extreme negative way of seeing things, but at the same time, just because it offends you doesn't mean it's completely wrong.

People that are dumped on, beaten, and cheated upon are usually going to have a lot of added baggage by the time other people get to them. It doesn't make them bad people but that doesn't mean it's not there.

On another note. I was hoping to move around soon to see if it helps me out and it kind of sucks that it doesn't seem to help. :(

kamya said:
monkeysox said:
AFrozenSoul said:

I don't really agree 100% with Frozen soul or his extreme negative way of seeing things, but at the same time, just because it offends you doesn't mean it's completely wrong.

People that are dumped on, beaten, and cheated upon are usually going to have a lot of added baggage by the time other people get to them. It doesn't make them bad people but that doesn't mean it's not there.

On another note. I was hoping to move around soon to see if it helps me out and it kind of sucks that it doesn't seem to help. :(

Everyone has baggage, its just a product of having lived, be it from a previous relationship or not.

Show me someone without baggage and I'd be wondering which cave they'd been hiding in this whole time.

Nothing wrong with saying someone has baggage 'we all do'' but those of us who give a **** don't take such into future relationships = Putting ''scrapes and second hand good that no one wants is highly offensive''.

I don't remember there being an age of divorce either !

The whole terminology of the post is offensive from some 'poor single guy' too

So you can sit on the fence if you wish, But allow others to speak who are offended by the exact terminology of that post.

It is discriminative, insulting and offensive.

I am not the only one offended

Ok others put it less directly, but sorry is that going to stop the same kind of post happening again.

Such puts people off joining forums and as this is supposed to be dealing with sensitive issues - makes it even worse.

So please do not defend a wrong. I am merely pointing out the distress such posts cause to people already unhappy.

added:

I have made my point - just hope Frozensoul can think of others in future and choose words more respectfully.But understand anyone can learn by mistakes and not be condemned for them.

Not saying any more and not inciting a witch hunt, in fact I am being protective.

Latest posts

Back