Advice on a Life Worth Living

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N1616**

Reaction score
Hello,
I live a pretty isolated life. I am not close with my family and I have minimal friends. I've had multiple suicide attempts. I do not want to kill myself, I just find it difficult to find a life worth living. I struggle with severe depression, unworthiness and abandonment issues. If you have the time and are willing, could you please give me some suggestions on how you have managed to create a life worth living. Thank you.

I just want to say "hi". I'm not sure I have any words of wisdom at the moment other than my signature. I'm sorry to hear you're struggling; there are many others here who feel the same way you do, hopefully you will find some comfort here.
Welcome to the forum, by the way! :)

-Teresa

There are so many beautiful things to see, so many wonderful things to do. You don't need another person to enjoy a walk in a park for example.
You can go to the coast and watch the ocean. Listen to the sea gulls or watch the boats. Become interested in things. Sports, photography, films, TV, the arts, music.
Even if you have no friends, you can share your experiences online. Places like this.

I always thought getting a job is the key. Something you can stand to do. You get money and you appreciate your free time more. You have something to look forward to.
I look forward to Saturday 12 o clock when I finish my week of work. All week I will think about what I'm going to do. I don't worry I have no friends. Once work is over I barely talk to anybody. It doesn't bother me anymore.

You are as worthy as everybody else !
Nobody is better than you !

The only beautiful and true things left in the world are those forgotten or abused: philosophy, mathematics, art, and science. There's often a creative/logical divide in modern culture, but it wasn't so pronounced in the past and I don't think it's a real, clear-cut divide. I think they all become part of the same universal flow when you dig deep enough and are always a way back down to something intrinsic and meaningful.

Which is, of course, why philosophy is dead, math is loathed, art is a cry for attention, and science is a weapon.

You are free to find meaning in anything or in nothing at all... there are monks who more or less throw away the majority of their lives doing nothing at all... You have every right to find pleasure in anything you want to or in nothing. It entirely up to you.
This is called existentialism.

Unless you have already done so, I urge you to see a licenced counsellor. Mine was a compassionate lady who set me on the road to recovery. Up to then I suffered eighteen years' misery of OCD ruling my life; it's not even remotely acute now, for I have been relatively free these last two years.

During that time I went to stay at the Taizé Community in Burgundy, France. I am not religious, but found solace there for my troubled heart and recommend it to you. It is a very peacful place where I found stillness and joy within among people my age in their early twenties. There are older visitors, too. All go home feeling so much better.

What Triple Bogey shared was lovely. I also walk down to the coast and watch the seabirds, taking family of kiddos. But I find keeping relatively busy helps. I knit jumpers and sometimes weave a tabard on my loom. I am careful about what music I listen to, because music can affect our mood, and one doesn't welcome morose music.

You could learn to play acoustic guitar. Plenty of free lessons on the internet from basic chords up to advanced. I'm doing that, though not a very good player. Yet!

Or, how about joining a rambler's club in your area? There you get to be with people, and walkers are not necessarily chatterboxes. But after a couple of walks do become friendly.

Same here sir. I just want to die already or perish away but I cant and life is just too painful to keep living on :(

I'm so sorry you feel that way. I understand, I want to enjoy things but it's so hard when you don't have someone to share it with.

When all else fails, N1616**, I find that observing the world's current condition is too interesting to miss out on by leaving it deliberately.

Hello sir. The reason of your problem is Lack of Purpose. What would you do if you were told that u would die after 1 week.??
Life does not come again. Time never comes back.

To live a life worth living, a life worth applause, you have to press the "Factory Reset" button of yourself.
U r not close to your family, then get close. They are not your crushes that they would ignore you/ you would need to impress them.Talk to them. If you have done something wrong, confess and promise to improve. Learn a new skill. It may be anything in the world. Dedicate your time in it, expertise yourself in it. Then teach it to others who want to learn it. Widen your interests. Meet people. Help the needy. Make friends who think like u (but dont run after somebody to build friendship)

Everything will happen, u need to have patience and effort, simultaneously.
Wish you good luck.

Sorry, I wish I had some suggestions. I'm in the same exact situation as you described; depressed and somehow trying desperately to cope
with abandanment issues myself. Hopefully someone will come forward and offer some words of encouragement.

I struggle too with severe depression, feelings of being worthless and abandonment issues. Sadly I can offer no real advice but I wanted you to know that you are definitely not alone in feeling this way.

Hi N1616,

It is a very sad state to be in and it can be hard to focus on something other than the loneliness when it is a gnawing and constant feeling. However, you need to think about taking the initial baby steps and start focusing on something that you can achieve. I simply started focusing on eating better and taking more walks. Now this might seem like a shallow list, but when you are depressed you don't really feel like doing anything.

I researched healthy eating and made a weekly schedule to cook simple meals. This seemed to take my mind off the loneliness and I soon had a new focus. I forced myself to go for at least half an hour walk with a stupid smile plastered on my face, and I was not even feeling cheerful. The schedule helps in that I can tick off my achievement and this seemed to assist with self esteem issues.

Hope my bread crumb contribution helps a bit ;)

Latest posts

Back