Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So they got a picture of a Black Hole.
Big Grin 
I think that's pretty dope, personally.

A black hole bigger than our entire solar system and then some. 50 something billion lightyears away. 

Just a gigantic hole in space time, eating up everything around it. 

Damn I knew they'd find where I hid my heart one day.  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2...lack-hole/
First known actual image of it too. I'm enthused myself. Now, when we're done studying it, we'll finally unlock the secrets of FTL travel and found the UFP and Starfleet... ;-)
Thunderneck did a video explaining the photo with some useful tidbits of info https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbgBlQVfpPk
They pulled it off using an algorithm and pixel layering photo techniques with a digital telescope.
It's actually really cool how they went about doing it.
It took so long for the photos to develop (like 2 years or so) because of how large they were.
Those photos, each, were a petabyte in size.
Or to put that in simple English: Petabyte hard drives aren't accessible to the public, and you have to have a special license for them because that's what the experimental Quantum Computers use.

I absolutely rejoiced. It was a glorious day for science. Big Grin
"Of Fire in Nature, Love in Spirit unkenned,
Life, hath no axle, no spring, and no End"
It is amazing. 🙂
(04-15-2019, 01:51 AM)Richard_39 Wrote: Now, when we're done studying it, we'll finally unlock the secrets of FTL travel and found the UFP and Starfleet... ;-)

Hey, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. After all, it could be a gateway to a parallel universe run by evil versions of ourselves, or a portal to hell. You never know!
Sad No stars on my thread, but at least everyone's chill and happy about the topic.

I've always been completely enamored with black holes, to be honest. There was a video some dude made compiling a ton of footage and it had these parts where the only thing on the screen was this black hole and this awful sound and I just couldn't help but to look over my shoulder. The sense of dread the guy built into the video was amazing.

They're scary things, to be sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD4izuDMUQA Here's the video.

Just one of the bits I'm talkin about is around 8:15 Lol.

The whole video is a god damned existential crisis. Be warned.
Total newbie question here, but are black holes the thing that some people say could be somehow connected to time travel? If so, what do they mean?
(04-19-2019, 03:50 PM)TheSkaFish Wrote: Total newbie question here, but are black holes the thing that some people say could be somehow connected to time travel?  If so, what do they mean?

There have been countless theories about what happens to matter that goes into a black hole. Most probably that matter gets crushed until it's nearly nothing and then released as dust, but we just don't know. We're too far away from any black holes to send a probe in and even if we could, there's no guarantee it could communicate with us from the "other side" assuming it arrived intact.

Two of the more popular, albeit outlandish theories is that black holes can be used for time travel or as a worm hole to another universe/galaxy/dimension. Maybe it's a portal to a universe where Blockbuster Video never closed its shops? Not sure I'm willing to be crushed in a universal compactor to find out.

[Image: bVuB7Zs.jpg]
Partially related...
This above all: to thine ownself be true.
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a person needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good; honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. A man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in.

It would be a spherical object ( as are most cosmic objects due to their own gravitational pull) with extremely high gravitational pull that draws in matter. Everything has a gravitational pull, so my lighter is pulling on the Earth and Vice Versa, but its negligable. (No wonder cigarettes end up in my mouth and I don't even notice.)

I think the only type of time travel you would experience if you were to enter a black hole is that of time slowing down, as it spaghettifies (think being torn in half, and then the part of your body furthest away is torn in half again, and then repeat, I think?) your body from toe to head or head to toe until you're less than dust. It's not like a hole in space time or anything, its just a point of gravitational pull that light cant escape so you cant see it. A black hole follows to same basic principle as anything else in that it's an object with a gravitational pull. You can't jump off of the surface of the Earth because its gravity hold you down. Just amplify that effect to the point that it not only tears you apart but also sucks in light. And since nothing travels faster than light, it can be considered the baseline for time travel or some nonsense. If you could move faster than the light particles, you could get somewhere before you aged comparable to those around you?

I'dunno. I love it, but it also sounds like nonsense to me. But in a scary way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In one picture(or video), post your current mood. mintymint 3,135 374,384 07-15-2019, 07:16 AM
Last Post: PandaSwag
  What was the last thing that you took a picture of? sanguineRose 103 18,928 08-18-2016, 01:09 AM
Last Post: Mick Travis
  Why did you choose your avatar? (Picture icon) HybridWarrior93 8 3,896 04-12-2016, 02:23 AM
Last Post: VanillaCreme
  Post a Picture, GIF, or Video of Funny Epic Fails Bones 9 9,615 06-26-2015, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Magalie
  Baby picture time! VanillaCreme 75 16,404 11-09-2014, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Aisha
Cool i'm back in black...yes i'm back in black... DVEUS 9 3,071 11-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Last Post: DVEUS
  The Slay of Satan Claws, Krampus, and Black Peter Phaedron 0 1,901 12-14-2012, 12:24 AM
Last Post: Phaedron
  Why Do Some White People Act Like They're Black? LoneKiller 20 16,300 03-20-2012, 01:00 AM
Last Post: Poguesy
  My Picture for my friends.. Nolife Princess 12 2,306 01-02-2012, 06:13 AM
Last Post: Bones
  Black Friday Ak5 23 11,005 11-28-2011, 07:55 AM
Last Post: innerfyre