20+ years of loneliness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim103BMS

Reaction score
I'm in my late 20s and was an only child and had no cousins. I had friends in school but not many. I have spent most of my life alone, outside of contact with my parents.

I've only had one semi-serious relationship. Semi-serious because it was a long-distance relationship and only saw each other once. Been trying consistently after that relationship ended looking for another girlfriend. 2 1/2 years of failure after failure has really deterred me from caring about whether or not I'll find someone in the future. I should note that I am able to find girls just for sex... just in-case you think i'm a virgin/nerd that can't get laid.

It's gotten to the point now where I believe that because I've been alone my entire life that even if I did find the perfect girl, I don't think that I would be able to spend that much time with her physically only because I'm so accustomed to being by myself. I am confident in myself. I believe that I am more attractive than the average person. But I'm unable to find someone that is worth calling a partner.

I'm making this topic to ask for suggestions and see if anybody else feels similarly to me. I find that a lot of girls want me to talk to them and put in all of the effort to maintain contact and build a relationship. I am the type of person that waits for someone to contact them first. I am never someone to reach out to someone first. Just feels like every girl that I talked to doesn't care about me as much as I would care about them. They make up excuses about them being too busy and blow off any plans that we had made during the week for dinner or a movie or anything.

It's very difficult to be in the situation because you see everyone else have a significant other and their happy, there able to talk to them, and be with someone physically and I'm 20 years straight by myself independent and have no one to physically be with outside of friends and family. I'm at a loss and I'm to the point now where I've nearly given up finding somebody because it just seems like a waste of time.

Hopefully I phrased this in a way that someone else other than me reading it can understand. If you took the time to read this thank you. I welcome any and all suggestions, information, or criticism you may have.

So you have no problem finding casual sex, but you aren't able to get a date? Okay that's really odd.

The situations in which you are asking women out could be the problem, because, sorry to be blunt, it sounds like they might have just politely accepted your invitations at the time with no intention of actually going on dates with you.

You've doomed your perfect relationship (which will not be "perfect" btw) before it has even happened. You are talking about not committing to fantasy relationships. Of course you're not going to see anything worthy in the real life interactions; you're too busy in your head.

If you want someone to commit to you, you have to be willing to commit to them. You don't get to go around simply dipping your toe in and expect huge results.

There's nothing wrong with being alone, independent and confident in your own life. Why does 2 and a half years have to be failure? What have you learned about yourself in those instances?

I assume you're not on your deathbed.

I’m not sure what tips to give you because the stuff I respond to seem to be a bit odd at times. 
Maybe you can try to be more aggressive? You say that you are never the one to reach out so you could try to be more forthcoming. Every woman is different so that makes it harder I guess. Some like the more softer approach but... being clear about what you are after works with me. 
Anyways. I hope it works out for you. ❤️

So late twenties and 2 and half years of trying. That doesn't sound bad at all man. I know how it can feel to see others just "be" with each other and feeling alone in being in your state but look at the facts.

You can get girls for sex (Which i do not recommend if you're looking for the real thing), meaning you can talk to girls just fine. I would advise you to look for a person with which you have chemistry first before anything. Maybe try just talking to her to get a sense of who she is first?

Also, its great that you have confidence in yourself. (Although i am not sure what that means for your case as some use that phrase as an excuse to be ********). Never compromise that, being with someone you love means being completely comfortable being yourself around them and vice-versa.

I would need more info about what doesn't work for you in these relationships to give more specific advice.

Anyway, hope it helps.

AmyTheTemperamental said:
You've doomed your perfect relationship (which will not be "perfect" btw) before it has even happened. You are talking about not committing to fantasy relationships. Of course you're not going to see anything worthy in the real life interactions; you're too busy in your head.

If you want someone to commit to you, you have to be willing to commit to them. You don't get to go around simply dipping your toe in and expect huge results.

There's nothing wrong with being alone, independent and confident in your own life. Why does 2 and a half years have to be failure? What have you learned about yourself in those instances?  

I assume you're not on your deathbed.

Any time I start conversation with a girl that I'm interested in dating it always feels like to me that I have to put in all of the effort into maintaining contact and initiating a conversation. To me that does not feel fair. A relationship is supposed to be 50/50. All the effort should not be made by one person. And I feel like I fall into this every time I talk to someone new. Essentially if I don't say "hello" to them first, then neither of us will talk to each other again. Doesn't seem to matter how much we have in common are much we like to talk to each other. If I don't initiate the conversation first then we will lose touch and not talk to each other after about a week or two.

I want to feel like I'm valued. Or at least valued the same way that I value the person I'm talking to. That means if you really like talking to someone you can't wait to tell them good morning or good night. And I never get that with anyone that I talked to. I should not be the sole reason as to why a conversation started

Phantimos said:
So late twenties and 2 and half years of trying. That doesn't sound bad at all man. I know how it can feel to see others just "be" with each other and feeling alone in being in your state but look at the facts.

You can get girls for sex (Which i do not recommend if you're looking for the real thing), meaning you can talk to girls just fine. I would advise you to look for a person with which you have chemistry first before anything. Maybe try just talking to her to get a sense of who she is first?

Also, its great that you have confidence in yourself. (Although i am not sure what that means for your case as some use that phrase as an excuse to be ********). Never compromise that, being with someone you love means being completely comfortable being yourself around them and vice-versa.

I would need more info about what doesn't work for you in these relationships to give more specific advice.

Anyway, hope it helps.

The relationship only lasted eight months. That's why I consider it two years of failure because I was not single for a very short part of my life. Just a blip on the radar. It's embarrassing and depressing to think about. Especially because, and believe me I know every guy thinks this, but I know how much of a good person I am. I have a good job, dress well,, I care about my appearance, I'm kind and it just feels like fat slobs with deadbeat jobs that physically and mentally abuse their partners get women easily. But people like me can never find anyone. After a while that really deters you and can give you a defeatist attitude about finding someone. Unless you've gone through a similar situation you'll never understand what a male like this goes through.

Good morning and good night. I thought that was a pretty common way of showing someone that you value them. It should be. I do think that if you keep on searching and not allow yourself to grow cold and resentful, then someone is probably going to come your way. At least you got a better chance of attracting a girl.

Look on the bright side OP: you at least have some pre-endorsement in the form of a short relationship, and not being a virgin you won't have to overcome the “serious concerns” over that issue either.

Latest posts

Back