Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.23 Average
Suggestion for Health and Fitness
Simplest and probably best thing you can ever do is make a scedule, don't do something whenever you have time for it because pretty soon you'll have time but won't be in the mood, so make a scedule, start out small maybe 2 or 3 half hour sets per week, and once your used to it slowly up it if time allows. Don't make a scedule in your head or make it too generic, state the day, starting time and duration, and put it to paper!

So once again, make a scedule and stick with it.
(12-27-2016, 06:01 AM)Starlightdawn Wrote: Hi, I've not read all the posts, so please forgive me if I missed this.

I have no motivation when it comes to excercise...or anything else for that matter.....I've been a member of a gym for the past 2 years, (with a swimming pool - I can swim) and how many times have I been there...?
None.
Not one.
I can't even get myself out for walks....although I will get a dog when I retire...that might help then...but not now.....and I certainly don't want to rely on meeting up with other people to walk/swim...that idea freaks me out.....so if anyone can suggest anything.....please help!

Sorry to sound so negative, but thats the way it is.

Best wishes to all

Maybe cardio isn't your thing....maybe exercising in public places also isn't your thing....do you watch tv or use the computer a lot? Because I have an idea for you that doesn't require a whole lot of moving.

You can set a time for every half hour or hour if you're using the computer, or if you watch television you can wait until every commercial break, or between each episode. SO...how do you feel about bicep curls, huh? Not a lot of motion there....and you can do it sitting without leaving your current spot. Plus there are a lot of household items that can replace a dumbbell (milk jug, water bottle(filled with water or with dirt for more weight) bag of rice, heavy pair of boots). Try doing 15-20 curls on one side, then switch to the other. If the item is too heavy for that many, then do less.

This is a relatively safe exercise, and does not commonly result in any kind of injuries.
I have a lot of other "desk/couch exercise" ideas but I typed so much already  I figured one was enough Smile

You might discover that you prefer weightlifting to other styles of exercise. It can make a big impact on your body over time, without dedicating a ton of time to exercise. Plus, your heart rate will generally stay a lot lower than other forms of exercise, so you're less likely to "run out of breath" or feel exhausted afterwards.

Personally, I have vertigo, so weightlifting has been a hugely awesome discovery for me.
No more falling over and crashing into people while I try to do jumping jacks or burpees at the gym. Ain't NOBODY got time for all that jumping around, I will keep my feet FIRMLY PLANTED on the ground, thanks. Big Grin

Better yet, do 80% of my workouts while sitting or lying down !
(12-29-2016, 07:38 AM)TrishTrash Wrote:
(12-27-2016, 06:01 AM)Starlightdawn Wrote: Hi, I've not read all the posts, so please forgive me if I missed this.

I have no motivation when it comes to excercise...or anything else for that matter.....I've been a member of a gym for the past 2 years, (with a swimming pool - I can swim) and how many times have I been there...?
None.
Not one.
I can't even get myself out for walks....although I will get a dog when I retire...that might help then...but not now.....and I certainly don't want to rely on meeting up with other people to walk/swim...that idea freaks me out.....so if anyone can suggest anything.....please help!

Sorry to sound so negative, but thats the way it is.

Best wishes to all

Maybe cardio isn't your thing....maybe exercising in public places also isn't your thing....do you watch tv or use the computer a lot? Because I have an idea for you that doesn't require a whole lot of moving.

You can set a time for every half hour or hour if you're using the computer, or if you watch television you can wait until every commercial break, or between each episode. SO...how do you feel about bicep curls, huh? Not a lot of motion there....and you can do it sitting without leaving your current spot. Plus there are a lot of household items that can replace a dumbbell (milk jug, water bottle(filled with water or with dirt for more weight) bag of rice, heavy pair of boots). Try doing 15-20 curls on one side, then switch to the other. If the item is too heavy for that many, then do less.

This is a relatively safe exercise, and does not commonly result in any kind of injuries.
I have a lot of other "desk/couch exercise" ideas but I typed so much already  I figured one was enough Smile

You might discover that you prefer weightlifting to other styles of exercise. It can make a big impact on your body over time, without dedicating a ton of time to exercise. Plus, your heart rate will generally stay a lot lower than other forms of exercise, so you're less likely to "run out of breath" or feel exhausted afterwards.

Personally, I have vertigo, so weightlifting has been a hugely awesome discovery for me.
No more falling over and crashing into people while I try to do jumping jacks or burpees at the gym. Ain't NOBODY got time for all that jumping around, I will keep my feet FIRMLY PLANTED on the ground, thanks. Big Grin

Better yet, do 80% of my workouts while sitting or lying down !

Thanks for the ideas....but it's the motivation I lack...about 5 years ago I lost well over 2 stones, and went swimming and walking regularly....but I had a great motivation....he was 6'5" and, in my eyes, amazing! I lost the weight without any real effort because I was always high on adrenaline, if you get my drift.
Now, sadly, nothing to motivate me....I am a saddo I know...!! But thanks anyway...
Personally I think a lot of the health information that is out there right now is simply wrong. To the extent that exercise is good for you I believe it is due to an increase is oxygen that happens when you exercise. But you can achieve the same effects via breathing properly. One reason Yoga gives similar effects on your health though you don't work out hard.
When all else fails......Walk.

Does it for me every time.

Shy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets Be Proactive and Excercise Together for Better Health & Self Improvement Bones 253 32,468 01-30-2017, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Cavey
  A Lonely Life help and suggestion thread Fira 0 3,868 02-27-2014, 12:00 AM
Last Post: Fira
  Really need some help/advice on dieting and health Josh 22 6,702 04-11-2013, 05:54 AM
Last Post: itsthejae
  fitness program Syber Tiger 8 3,790 08-01-2011, 05:14 AM
Last Post: cumulus.james
  Old smoking may possibly cause harm to thought health and fitness Sundberg 3 4,340 03-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Last Post: slappopkarl
  Health Topics Skorian 19 7,675 07-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Last Post: lonely7