10:41 Saturday Night

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyesonly

Reaction score
(This is a slightly "stream of consciousness" narrative about a lonely Saturday night that I'm currently experiencing. I'm not sure if it will be interesting to everyone, or anyone, but I just felt the need to write it for some reason.)

It's 10:41 on a Saturday night. I'm sitting here alone. Again. Should I read? Yes, of course I should. I want to write, after all, and to do that you have to read a lot. And besides, I actually do love books. I try to divide my reading time between books I need for "informational purposes" (in other words, things to possibly help me get some ideas on how to find a measure of happiness in life, etc.), and fiction, which I'm using for the dual purpose of entertainment and to better learn how to write.

Will I read tonight? I don't know. I have a few days off work, and sitting down to read a book seems maybe a little too sedate for the first night of a short "vacation" period. What will I do instead? Well, I've already watched a movie tonight, so that's probably out, and it's getting late anyway. So I guess this is what I'm doing. Trying to reach out into the vast empty void for some kind of human contact that may or may not be there.

Why aren't I more motivated to do things, to make improvements, to change my life? Why do I have a sink full of dirty dishes while I'm sitting on my ass in front of my computer? I know what I need to do. I've read about how to make social contacts, how to find a better job, how to get things done. I have so many interests, and I have things that I'm good at. I like to be physically active, exercise, etc.

It just seems so futile sometimes. Life, everything. I get so sick of people, their games, their little contests. I get sick of how once you get three people together, a pecking order is quickly established and sooner or later someone is going to find themselves on the "outs" if they don't go along with the majority opinion.

"That sounds like depression." Absolutely. For a lot of my life, in fact. I've been doing, or have done, the usual treatments, etc. I think the real problem is more a "sickness of the soul," though. I'm working now to try and align my life more with things that genuinely interest me and give me more of a sense of "meaning" or whatever. But there are many periods that feel very stagnant and empty, like tonight.

And the tap drips...
Drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip

(If you've made it this far, thanks. I guess this was maybe a little "self-indulgent," but I just felt like I needed to get some things out, and I seemed to get blocked every time I tried to think of a more coherent subject to post about.)

I have been there too.
One thing which might help is if you tackle one or two things only and put the other issues to one side for now. It sounds as if you are so overwhelmed by the number of things you want to change/do that it is hardly surprising that you can't make a start on any of them. Mayne you could decide which of them are the most important to you and start on those.

Hmm.... well bouts of motivation come and go with most people. Why not keep small goals in mind when starting out. After all, if you want to fly to the moon by next week and do not even have the plans for the rocket. Chances are you are going to be disappointed.

Thanks a lot for your responses and your suggestions. Yes, I agree, it is important to focus in on specifics when you're feeling overwhelmed.

I was able to get a few things done today that I was meaning to.

What I got done today (haha!):

- Ran for 35 mins.
- Did laundry
- Washed dishes
- Changed the sheets on my bed
- Watched a DVD (I don't know if that really counts as "getting something done" - maybe, since it was something I've been meaning to see for a while and it could be relevant to the kind of writing I want to do).

I was meaning to cook something, but maybe that can wait until tomorrow. I'm sure you were all just dying to know about my mundane daily activities :).

I think one thing that has kind of contributed to the malaise I've been in recently is that I've been getting a lot less exercise than I have at some times in the past. Regular (and preferably fairly intense) physical activity seems to be a really important thing for me as far as dealing with depression, motivation problems, etc.

I've noticed the snowball effect that can happen with motivation. If something gets in the way of my exercising, or I'm just not as motivated to do it, etc., then not only do I not get the exercise benefits, but I feel less energetic and motivated to do other things as well. And so I end up more or less where I have been recently.

Thanks again for listening to my ramblings. It's funny how self-absorbed you can get when you're feeling "down." I appreciate the responses.

Tiina63 said:
I have been there too.
One thing which might help is if you tackle one or two things only and put the other issues to one side for now. It sounds as if you are so overwhelmed by the number of things you want to change/do that it is hardly surprising that you can't make a start on any of them. Mayne you could decide which of them are the most important to you and start on those.

Absolutely great advice. Not knowing where to start because all you see is a huge wall of things you have to do can be very psychologically immobilizing. It's better to just pick a couple, and start with them, and sort of knock the wall down one brick at a time.

Another thing I've heard about that kind of relates to this topic is the idea of trying to pick the few things to do that will make the most difference right away. That way, not only have you focused on just a few items rather than trying to take on the whole thing at once, but once you can see that you're actually making some kind of progress, then you become more motivated to take on more things since it doesn't seem so futile.

Trying to continue today with the productivity trend. Cleaning, cooking, "getting things done" (haha!)

Latest posts

Back