._.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally conveys that feeling of loneliness. One on a line by itself? I think the poem's structured in such a way that every line is a part of a "leaf" falling. A leaf falling usually conveys sadness to me.

Edit: The more I reread it or think about it, the more depressed I get... Also, the poem is supposedly written like so:
l(a

le
af
fa

ll

s)
one
l

iness
Someone on some blog commented that Cummings would've had to use the lowercase l on his typewriter to type 1, so loneliness could also be interpreted to be 1-one-1-iness, or one-one-one-ness.

I have to say, this might just be one of my favorite poems. Thanks for sharing.

Chris 2 said:
UneTortue said:
l(a
le
af
fa
ll
s)
one
l
iness.

e.e. cummings

I don't get it?

l (a leaf falls) oneliness
^ and that's a lowercase 'L' not an I. :3

Basically, the poem is in every letter. In the first line, the l is separated from the a. The two 'L's in the fifth line being a couple (two 1's). The isolated 'S'. Then the word 'one'. Another lowercase 'L' representing a 1. And then the poem concludes with 'iness', or 'the state of being I.'

retypepassword said:
Totally conveys that feeling of loneliness. One on a line by itself? I think the poem's structured in such a way that every line is a part of a "leaf" falling. A leaf falling usually conveys sadness to me.

Edit: The more I reread it or think about it, the more depressed I get... Also, the poem is supposedly written like so:
l(a

le
af
fa

ll

s)
one
l

iness
Someone on some blog commented that Cummings would've had to use the lowercase l on his typewriter to type 1, so loneliness could also be interpreted to be 1-one-1-iness, or one-one-one-ness.

Yes. it stands as my favorite poem ^^. I plan on getting it tattooed on my back xD.

And you're right. The structure is in the form of a leaf falling, but that's superficial really. Notice how some letters are separated by a parenthesis (some people relate this to a window), also, the lowercase "L"s look like uppercase "I"s, and also 1s. The two Ls (or 1s) in the fifth line could represent a couple. The word "one" spelled out is self explanatory. Followed by the isolated L (or I or 1).

Then it ends with "iness" which, if you're familiar with your suffixes, suggests "The state of being I."

UneTortue said:
Chris 2 said:
UneTortue said:
l(a
le
af
fa
ll
s)
one
l
iness.

e.e. cummings

I don't get it?

l (a leaf falls) oneliness
^ and that's a lowercase 'L' not an I. :3

Basically, the poem is in every letter. In the first line, the l is separated from the a. The two 'L's in the fifth line being a couple (two 1's). The isolated 'S'. Then the word 'one'. Another lowercase 'L' representing a 1. And then the poem concludes with 'iness', or 'the state of being I.'

Also, e.e. cummings always wrote in lowercase. it was his signature style. He even legally changed his name to all lowercase letters, hence the e.e. cummings at the end.

samba101 said:
Wow lucky you spelt it out for me or I still would be guessing.

:) I had to have my english teacher explain it to me in my senior year of high school, so don't feel bad :p

Woah... Pretty deep stuff. I would have never seen the meaning behind it though unless someone had explained it. English is not my best subject in school..yuck

retypepassword said:

l(a

le
af
fa

ll

s)
one
l

iness

you shouldn't feel sad when reading it, it makes me feel happy because it is all about making you not feel lonely for a second, the leaf falling is one of those little things that make loneliness go away for a second I think that's why he put it so that it messed up loneliness, a really cool poem thanks for sharing it

NeverMore said:
retypepassword said:

l(a

le
af
fa

ll

s)
one
l

iness

you shouldn't feel sad when reading it, it makes me feel happy because it is all about making you not feel lonely for a second, the leaf falling is one of those little things that make loneliness go away for a second I think that's why he put it so that it messed up loneliness, a really cool poem thanks for sharing it

Of course, you're welcome ^^

Latest posts

Back