A couple guitar instrumentals I've written

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always loved piano, been trying (and completely and utterly failing) to teach myself how to play. It's one of those thing's I really want to be able to add to my music, although thought it would add another level of depth and emotion to it.

Anyway, does the noise happen only when you're actually playing, or even when you record pure silence? All I can really think is that you could be running your mic a little too hot, or it could have something to do with the way you're micing the piano. Now that I think about it, I've no clue how you'd actually go about micing a piano. I can't imagine it'd be easy to do with a single mic. It might actually be easier to grab a cheap midi keyboard and search for some good software for it (I've actually heard some pretty convincing piano sounds).

But honestly I've never had too much trouble with mic noise. Most of the noise I get is from my guitar amps themselves.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

But actually, my acoustic (but very ancient) piano cracked in half and then I moved into an apartment. Now I have a electric (but very beautiful) stage piano so I just stick the mic infront of the amp. But whatever the problem is, it isn't the piano because it makes the noise when I record pure silence. Since I've had the same problem with a few different programs and a few different mics I thought that was normal. Other people told me they fix it with a mixer, but that wrecks my sound quality. Turning the mic down doesn't help either, because that just makes everything equally quieter; when I turn my speakers up to hear the recorded piano the noise comes back with it.

I'm starting to think I'll just have to try new equipment again.

I wish you luck learning to play piano. All I can say is don't give up! In my experience, it takes longer to get the piano under your fingers than a lot of other instruments.

It's not normal :D

The first thing you'd probably want to do is try a new interface or preamp for your mic, that's starting to sound like the most likely cause.

Here are a few things you could check: Is all of your equipment properly grounded? Are there any devices nearby that could be giving off electronic interference?(check everything from lights to computer monitors, just move your mic around the room and listen) Are power chords running along side audio chords? Are there many other devices/appliances drawing power from the same AC circuit? And sorry if this sounds too obvious, but are you playing too softly with your gain cranked up on the mic? If it is AC noise, then you could look into a power conditioner to help reduce interference in your signal.

Thanks, Mintymint. I never even thought about AC noise....I'm pretty ignorant about electrical technology. I'm going to try out your suggestions. :D

Latest posts

Back