A fear that I have

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IsaaKC

Reaction score
This is something I've been reading alot latelty, and am really disheartenedby this fact.

I've been reading alcoholism is genetic. My father is an alcoholic & one of my biggest fears is winding up like him.

How much truth is there in this? Is that all there to become like him? Start drinking?

I dont think so. Some people would have problems coz one of their parents was an alcoholic and then it would be easy to blame the genetics. But Ive known many peopl who had alcoholic parents and decided to stay away from alcohol not to end up like thier parents (they can drink but they are not addicted I mean) So I dont think u should worry about it.

Everyone believes differently on this subject. In my opinion, I don't think it's so much genetic as it is what you KNOW. You grew up with it, you saw it, so you go to that cuz it's what you know.

Your life is just that...YOURS. No one can take that away from you, unless you let them. If you don't want to drink or be an alcoholic, then simply don't. There are no rules saying that you have to do this or you have to do that.

You could also try seeking out help if you don't think you can handle it on your own. whether it be a therapist or al-anon or just simply friends.

Can't speak about genetics but I do know that:

Alcohol inhibits the body's ability to absorb niacin (B3)
B3 deficiency causes depression
Depression leads to drinking in those already inclined to do so.
Alcohol inhibits the body's ability to absorb niacin (B3)
B3 deficiency causes depression
Depression leads to drinking in those already inclined to do so.

And on and on and on.

I was SEVERELY DEPRESSED in December.
And I suspected the booze was the cause of it.
I quit drinking December 23rd and after about 10
days the depression lifted and has not returned.

Countless people will contradict me on this
and swear that there's no connection between alcohol
and depression. I don't care. I've got to do what works for me,
and I'm not selling anything. If I can help just one person by
sharing my story, then it's worth it.

Good luck to you.

unfortunatly yes, about 10% of people or so, are genectically more likely to become dependant on drugs, and alcohalism is often a symptom of this,

but this does not mean that will end up like him, just be careful, maybe don't drink at all, or if you do, just make sure you don't have more than 2 drinks per night, only when your out with friends or something

there's a senses fail song that is basically about the same thing
[youtube]cDjJVccnxSc[/youtube]

There's a cycle that happens in some peoples lives. They have parents who drink, smoke, are abusive, etc and they have kids who grow up and continue this same cycle. It's not the fault of genetics (imo) but what you grow up thinking is "normal" behaviour. My mom has been a volunteer for CAS here for so long she is now seeing the children who were once in foster care having kids of their own that are sadly ending up in foster care as well. A few people learn to break that cycle and rebel against what they've grown up around.

The research in the area is not definitive but a number of studies do believe that they have found a genetic link to a predisposition for alcoholism. That does not mean that if you start drinking that you will automatically become an alcoholic. It suggests that if someone with this predisposition starts drinking, that they are several times more likely to become an alcoholic than children of non-alcoholic parents.

In addition, from a social side, a child from an alcoholic family may be less likely to have grown up exposed to responsible drinking.

You drink alcohol to get pissed or forget about your problems for a while. There's no genetic link or anything like that.

You either touch the stuff or you don't.

Simple.

IsaaKC said:
How much truth is there in this? Is that all there to become like him? Start drinking?

YES.

It's been proven in several studies and inquiries that addiction and alcoholism is genetic, or that at least there's a gene that may affect a person's vulnerability toward certain addictive substances.

As an example, my own dad used to be an alcoholic and drug abuser (before he is what he is now). I don't show addictive traits, because I've never been hooked to drinking or smoking, and I don't drink TO GET DRUNK; I use moderation and self-discipline to avoid any possible dangers. And I'm aware of the dangers.

My brother, however, seems to show that addictive trait quite easily. Gambling, drinking, smoking, etc.

All it takes is a bit of self-control and understanding that you MAY have that tendency to become addictive toward certain substances. Don't drink with a goal of getting drunk; don't smoke more than a couple times a week (AND HOLD IT TO THAT), and when out partying keep to under a few beers or whatever arbitrary limit you might want to set.

AND STICK TO THOSE SELF-SET BOUNDARIES. You'll be fine.

Poguesy said:
You drink alcohol to get pissed or forget about your problems for a while. There's no genetic link or anything like that.

You either touch the stuff or you don't.

Simple.

Wrong. Seriously.

Alcoholism can be genetic, but just because your Father has alcoholism doesn't mean you will. It is your life, and, therefore, your choice if you drink or not. Anyone can have the genes to be an alcoholic, it doesn't have to be genetic. I wouldn't be overly worried about it. And, alcohol is overated! Getting drunk may seem fun until you get sick, and the next day you will feel awful. I went through my days of that, and look back and realize it wasn't worth it. Now I drink a couple of beers here and there, but only when it is in a place where there are cold mugs and are serving my brand. I drink for the taste of it...not to get high or wasted.

i honestly don't think genetics has that much of an influence. anyone who becomes an alcoholic has only themselves to blame

Latest posts

Back