A new member for Northern Ireland.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomisfive

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
My name is Simon and I live in country Fermanagh in Northen Ireland.

I'm here because over the past 5 years or so I've been suffering from terrible fits of loneliness and depression. It's has it's moments of beings not too bad to terrible and recently it has become bad again so after some searching online, to find material to read, I came across this place and thought I'd spend a bit of time here and see how it effects me.

It used to be a puzzle why I'd feel this way becuase things aren't too bad with me. I enjoy my work, I am an active member in a great astronomy club, I have a car and enjoy going out for drives, I get pleasure from walking in the country side and also taking photographs of it.
Living on my own doesn't help much but I'm a strong person so I always pull through but when it gets really bad it takes so much out of me that I tend to get ill, whether it be a flu or a cold.

I recently got paid of from my job and instantly decided to go self employed. It's rough sea working on your own but I ride the waves well. Its' only recently that I realised I became depressed over the loss of my job. It's taken away a certain sense of security that I've always been used to with a job and now working for myself is unpredictable and sometimes scary.

I don't have many friends, I'll be honest, most of those I am friends with I don't have much in comon with. I did have a wonderful, close friendship for almost five years but because of my lonliness I made some mistakes - one too many - that has badly damaged it and will probably never recover, but I'm going to try hard.

I honestly believe that the source of my lonliness is to due with the deep desire I have inside to look after someome. Of course that is normal and everyone wants to love and take care of someone but I feel so empty and incomplete and for some reason, I don't know why, women never seem interested in me.
I've been told I'm attractive and hadsome so it's can't be to do with my looks.

I'm a mature and senseable person, self disciplined and open minded but I do have a tendency of letting my mind go around in circles when something troubles me.

I live an active live and keep busy and look after myself very well so I can't find any fault there.
I can have low self asteam sometimes and I can easily run myself down too but the source of that comes from my dyslexia, which is a confronting drain on me emotionally.

I'll stop ranting now becuase it's starting to feel that I am rambling on at random and feeling like a mess.

I hope to get involved in some discussions here and see if it helps me in anyway.

PoWer2tHePeOpLE said:
hey simon,

welcome :)

i like your avatar... a moon possibly? sry i am astronomically illiterate :)

Is it Mars? I thought it was Mars.

Thanks all.

To Power and Nyktimos - it's a moon of Jupiter. The janovian moon "Io", with a voclanic eruption visible in the northern hemisphere.
Which is my favourite moon in the solar system.

nomisfive said:
Thanks all.

To Power and Nyktimos - it's a moon of Jupiter. The janovian moon "Io", with a voclanic eruption visible in the northern hemisphere.
Which is my favourite moon in the solar system.

That's the volcanic one where the gravitation of Jupitor powers it's activity isn't it? Do you think there's life under the ice of Europa? I think there's a good chance.

Nyktimos said:
That's the volcanic one where the gravitation of Jupitor powers it's activity isn't it? Do you think there's life under the ice of Europa? I think there's a good chance.

Yes that's right. The tidal force (the gravatational pull of jupiter and the outer moons) pulls and pushes the moon casuing the crust to move and get heated up just like how the techtonic plates do here on earth.

Europa is a promising looking place and I will be excited when/if they send a probe there but I doubt there would be any life. I do let my imagination wander and think of black smokers at the bottom of the oceans having life just like in our oceans.

Nice to meet you I'm Haven. You must be a Intellectual you have a complicated hobbie or was it a career with you around I might learn something.

I suppose I do have an intellect. I did try to persue astronomy as a career but it didn't work out that way but it has always been a serious hobby and get out observing when ever I can and when weather permits.
I tried going for a PhD in astro physics and was hoping to do a two year study on binary stars in south Africa but my dyslexia in mathematics put a stop to that after 8 months of study.

If there is anything I can help you out on I'd be more than happy to answer questions and help :)

Welcome from Galway Simon. I can identify with that feeling of not knowing where we went wrong. Hopefully it'll be sorted.

Welcome to the forum Northern Irelend. You are cleared for landing! over. *Crackle*

Please do land in Chat if you get a chance. We have air patrol in there. over. *white-noise crackle*

Oh and happy flying around the forum! Will see you around. over and out. *more crackling and then...silence*

:)

Hi Nomis.

I don't know where the lonliness stems from when your life seems fulfilling from the outside looking in. Truth be told, it's because people can't or won't always look into your heart to see what's there. But after being on these forums for a little while, I see how common it is. I'm beginning to think that some of us are just made this way. I can relate where you said that you don't have much in common with your friends. I have few friends as well. I try to accept that they can't reach into my soul and just try to appreciate their company. I eat by myself and go to bed alone because at the end of the day, there's only me. I know it's hard to look at the great things about yourself, because a person is their own worst critic. So let the rest of us point out what's wonderful about you without even knowing you:
1. You are brave: you took a chance and went into business for yourself even though it is risky
2. You are compassionate: you have a desire to look after someone when many others cannot see past their own reflection
3. You appreciate life: photographing nature when others take it for granted. I'll bet you like animals.
4. I'll bet you are an intelligent, deep soul and probably have interesting things to talk about that probably go over the average Joe's head
5. You have the most awesome hobby - astronomy! I'll bet some of your friends don't even want to hear that andromeda is heading right at us.
These are just 5 things and I don't know you from Adam and I'll bet others willl agree. The problem is, you don't know how wonderful you are. And if your friends can't recognize it, then they are at fault.

Latest posts

Back