a stupid thing I did yesterday

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lily_Chi

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Could things be worse?? I'm a girl and I tried to ask a girl out yesterday...
Here is a little background for my story: My husband and I have moved to this city for three months. He got a job relocation, and I quit mine to come here together with him. It's been difficult for me since I don't have any friends here and I've suffered a lot from seeking a new job.
Yesterday was my birthday, however, my husband had to travel to another city to work the whole week there, whatsmore, I was rejected by an interviewer from a job opportunity...all that turned me extremely emotional.
Anyways, I had my hair cut and done, went back home, and got dressed. I made a stupid decision that I would ask a neighbor out for a drink or dinner to kill the sad evening...I'm living in a highrise apartment and neighbors are not that close. But as I entered the elevator and went down with it, I was thinking of a girl I frequently met these days. We had smiled to each other, said hello and all those neighbor stuff, and I felt her a very nice person that I'd like to make friend with. The funny thing is, when I was thinking of her, the door opened and she was right there.
I was going down but she wanted to go up, so she didn't enter. Here comes the drama: I opened the door again and asked her if I could talk with her for a sec. She said of course and held the door of the elevator. I felt there was another person beside her, so I could hardly open my mouth to ask her anything. I was already feeling myself ridiculous and was regretting, however, I had to continue. So I said that it was my birthday and I didn't have any friends and I saw her a lot these days and felt her a very nice person blahblahblah... She was always smiling and friendly as I was, till I asked if she would come with me for dinner since I didn't want to spend the stupid evening alone. Her face looked puzzled for a sec but smiled again saying that she'd like to but she would have a Masters' class in the evening. Then she told me her apt number and said I could go there looking for her. You know what was more stupid? I continued asking how about later...she was more confused and asked me "you mean today??" I said yes. She said she was really feeling sick blahblahblah...ok, I wished her a great evening and closed the door.
So, I was creepy huh? I wanted to kill myself after the door was closed...I realized that I sounded like...well, yes I know...that was really the most stupid thing I've ever done...I guess she was kinda freaked out, and so do I, by myself of course.

You shouldn't have said you have no friends and that you didn't want to spend the night alone. It might've seemed like you were guilting her.:( Should've just been a very casual "hey want to go out for dinner later?"

yes Sophia, I thought the same later, but I was not thinking that much when I bumped into her...those words just slipped out of my mouth...

Awww! I'm sorry you had such a horrible moment for your birthday, and it probably wasn't a great way to start your friendship, but you never know. The two of you might still be friends!

I'm sorry about what happened, especially since it was your birthday! But you know, atleast you gave it a try, atleast you put yourself out there. You should be proud of that!

And don't give up!

friends?? don't give up?? well, thank you guys, but I don't expect that anymore. I just hope she doesn't think I was hitting on her!! I guess I acted like a school girl asking her dream boy out...

aw man I'm sorry about that lily, that happens to all of us

*hugs*

try not to dwell on it too much, you're not a creep, it sounds like it was just a misunderstanding next time try to be more casual about it, like try saying hey, if you don't have anything going on would you like to join me for something to eat or something, or I'm planning on going out later for something to eat, would you care to join me

if you want, the next time you she her, just say "hey I'm sorry about the other night don't worry i wasn't trying to hit on you or anything, i was just bored and wanted to grab something to eat with someone"

something along tghose lines

but man you are not alone in this, and this isn't the worst thing that can happen

one time I pretty much flat out asked out a straight girl,.
....stupid deceiving straight girls with their buzz cuts and plaid jackets,..

*sighs* I'm never going to get laid

lol sorry i digress

:p

I think you were brave, it may have not gone down the way you had hoped but **** that was one brave thing you did there. Sounds more like you took her by complete surprise, which sometimes can make people back up a bit.

most of us have prolly done something like and felt like a plank afterhand- i know i have!

omG!
how many of you think i'm a lesbian after reading my post? koz if most of you think so, she do will feel the same way...!!!

...well....that thought did cross my mind when I first scanned your post, then after I read it more carefully I didn't have that impression. But then I thought what a lucky man your husband must be. :D

jk :p

It sounded kind of in the middle of trying to ask her on a date and just really lonely. I do think you should try and catch her some other time when she doesn't seem to be busy and explain. A simple and honest explanation seems like a good idea.

It's been 2 days and I think it's time to let it go. Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions. I'll definitely say sorry to her when I see her again, although it actually bothers me more than her. I guess she won't even give it a thought anymore, after all, it's me who's been stupid while she was totally acting in an appropriate manner.
evanescencefan91, I have nothing against lesbian love, as long as it's real love. Actually it also confuses me why the little scene bothers me that much...I doubt if the desire to make friend with her can also be interpreted as a crush on her??!! That may also explain why I felt so frustrated and even hurt when she turned me down?? CRAZY!! But I'm by no means like a butch...most of my friends comment me as a sweet woman and she also knows that I'm with a man (our parking spaces are next to each other and she saw me and my husband several times.)...well, ok, stop dwelling on it!!
sigh

Latest posts

Back