a word I've been dying to learn for sooooo many years now

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jjam

I hope it exists!

Ok. See if you all can follow me on this.
I'm sure you've seen it before in a variety of fashions. Take the example of a speaker (could be a professor) who wants some feedback from its audience. When a question is directed to the audience, which anyone could freely answer, most people are quiet. You probably have good potential answers in your mind, but you don't shout them out. Someone else might actually respond with what seems like a great potential answer, or even dead on the money. There could be a zillion correct answers, depending on who's answering the question; depending on what answer is in mind.

Is there a word to describe this scenario?

jjam said:
I hope it exists!

I'm sure you've seen it before in a variety of fashions. Take the example of a speaker (could be a professor) who wants some feedback from its audience. When a question is directed to the audience, which anyone could freely answer, most people are quiet. You probably have good potential answers in your mind, but you don't shout them out. Someone else might actually respond with what seems like a great potential answer, or even dead on the money. There could be a zillion correct answers, depending on who's answering the question; depending on what answer is in mind.

i dont get ur question...its some general situation in classroom...who or what exactly ur pointing out or whatever...how to name those students that dont give a f about answering or the professor whos pissed at them..
are u the prof?

All I can think of is describing it as an open ended question (in a forum or whatever), or are you asking more specifically in relation to the other people being nervous about answering? Brain's a bit gummed up at the moment though.

Describe the scenario...one of 2 things come to mind..an analytical inquiry or a type of theory. It would depend on the type of feedback. If it was an open-ended question, it would leave me to believe the speaker wanted you to draw your conclusion and offer theories relative to the solution. If the speaker already gave you the theory and wanted feedback on the results, then it would be more of inquiry to determine future progress. If this helps at all this is the closest definition I could come to...Conjecture-indicates a proposition which is presumed to be real, true, or genuine mostly based on inconclusive grounds. Hypothesis-(theory,axiom, principle) a tested statement based on accepted grounds. Maybe you could expand on this..I went looking in Wikipedia.

jjam said:
I hope it exists!

lol, if no one answered, I'd say that was a pregnant silence. But if you mean that someone actually answers, then I'm not really sure what you're looking for.

Latest posts

Back