Am I missing something here

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Dougler

Reaction score
Should I just conform and be how society wants me to be? Should I just start listening to whatever the "top 40" says I should? Should I start getting into whatever the the media tells me too? Should I stop thinking for myself and become "normal?"

Like what the hell is wrong with society? You conform or basically get rejected, and I am so sick of being judged and seen as weird or different because I listen to music that isn't played on mainstream radio or TV, I don't go out and spend my money on brand name clothes and shoes that everyone wears, or because I don't care about what so and so are doing because I know they are attention seekers like all the "cool" people.

Almost everytime I'll be one of the least cool guys at the party. I'll be one of the least interesting and have nothing fun to say. I don't act like the other guys, so girls think something is wrong with me. Complete bullshit. ******* not scared to have my own identity, and yet it gets me no where. Girls always say they want a guy who is "different" ( in a good way I presume) well Im here, day in day out alone, no one to relate with. Gotta put on that act for everyone everyday that Im calm and cool all the while I just want to loose it and crush some little douchebags face with my fists.

Do I make any sense here or am I just building it up to much in my head? I feel like there is no way Im wrong and that people just don't figure these things out until they are older.

The Dougler said:
Should I just conform and be how society wants me to be? Should I just start listening to whatever the "top 40" says I should? Should I start getting into whatever the the media tells me too? Should I stop thinking for myself and become "normal?"

Like what the hell is wrong with society? You conform or basically get rejected, and I am so sick of being judged and seen as weird or different because I listen to music that isn't played on mainstream radio or TV, I don't go out and spend my money on brand name clothes and shoes that everyone wears, or because I don't care about what so and so are doing because I know they are attention seekers like all the "cool" people.

Almost everytime I'll be one of the least cool guys at the party. I'll be one of the least interesting and have nothing fun to say. I don't act like the other guys, so girls think something is wrong with me. Complete bullshit. ******* not scared to have my own identity, and yet it gets me no where. Girls always say they want a guy who is "different" ( in a good way I presume) well Im here, day in day out alone, no one to relate with. Gotta put on that act for everyone everyday that Im calm and cool all the while I just want to loose it and crush some little douchebags face with my fists.

Do I make any sense here or am I just building it up to much in my head? I feel like there is no way Im wrong and that people just don't figure these things out until they are older.

Be yourself.

Maybe when talking to girls don't reveal to much of yourself at once, try to be mysterious.

You can be yourself. No one ever said anyone had to do what was popular. You have that choice. If you choose to do what society says is in right now, then that's your decision.

You're not missing anything. You do what makes you happy. Like everyone else has said, be you. People will always judge others, that you can't stop that. There will always be people who will look down on you or put your interests down. But then there are always people out there who share your interests, that's the great thing about the internet now.

I was going to make a big post to try explaining why I wouldn't be happy pretending to be somebody else, but some great guy that left us too soon has already made a short version of it;
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than be loved for who I am not."- Kurt Cobain. :cool:

You can wear being alternative like a badge though. In our local shopping centre for instance there are shoals of kids, sort of emo/goth not sure what they call themselves these days. Anyway they have the chains and the eyeliner and skinny black jeans and dont give a honeysuckle attitude and I guess their counter culture is about rejecting mainstream expectations that they should be like all the cool kids are.

But the irony is they are probably the most conformist least individual social group of all. Their clothes are different but they still wear them as a badge of honour to feel part of something, there is nothing more individual or worthy in how they dress or what they listen to. They are still cripplingly self aware like any other teenager. I want to tell them this, shake them and say 'can't you see this is not being free and an individual? You look down at others just as the cool kids do, your just another social group with the same values just more black eye liner!!' Fashion is unavoidable, to try and be anti fashion is in itself fashion and 'alternative' culture is major corporate money spinner for pople who want to believe they are different. Like bands that declare they are alternative but are on a record label affiniated to Sony. Its all just bull honeysuckle really.

Point is (yeah.. what is my point) , dosn't matter what you wear or what they wear or listen to or talk about, everyone feels the same pressure, anxieties and everyone is just trying to fall in and feel a part of something. No one is free of it, I least of all and I'm much older now, I'm a slave to me ego, I need to feel I have some depth but I'm just as shallow as a puddle. :)

So yeah don't sweat it, be yourself breath and dont take it all too seriously, its actions that make the man, not brands or lack of brands and what music you have on the stereo.

See me listing what I am listening to and readng at the moment below this in my sig? Thats me trying to show the world I'm into cool stuff. Pathetic! But I can acknowledge and smile about it! :)

Be yourself, yeah. You're better off alone and true than with people around and fake. It will consume you if you try to deny who you really are.

The Good Citizen said:
You can wear being alternative like a badge though. In our local shopping centre for instance there are shoals of kids, sort of emo/goth not sure what they call themselves these days. Anyway they have the chains and the eyeliner and skinny black jeans and dont give a honeysuckle attitude and I guess their counter culture is about rejecting mainstream expectations that they should be like all the cool kids are.

But the irony is they are probably the most conformist least individual social group of all. Their clothes are different but they still wear them as a badge of honour to feel part of something, there is nothing more individual or worthy in how they dress or what they listen to. They are still cripplingly self aware like any other teenager. I want to tell them this, shake them and say 'can't you see this is not being free and an individual? You look down at others just as the cool kids do, your just another social group with the same values just more black eye liner!!' Fashion is unavoidable, to try and be anti fashion is in itself fashion and 'alternative' culture is major corporate money spinner for pople who want to believe they are different. Like bands that declare they are alternative but are on a record label affiniated to Sony. Its all just bull honeysuckle really.

Point is (yeah.. what is my point) , dosn't matter what you wear or what they wear or listen to or talk about, everyone feels the same pressure, anxieties and everyone is just trying to fall in and feel a part of something. No one is free of it, I least of all and I'm much older now, I'm a slave to me ego, I need to feel I have some depth but I'm just as shallow as a puddle. :)

So yeah don't sweat it, be yourself breath and dont take it all too seriously, its actions that make the man, not brands or lack of brands and what music you have on the stereo.

See me listing what I am listening to and readng at the moment below this in my sig? Thats me trying to show the world I'm into cool stuff. Pathetic! But I can acknowledge and smile about

well said

I think all humans have the need to "fit" in. I would assume it is a leftover from our early days when you would need to be part of a herd for safety. I wouldnt worry about it all that much though, with perserverance everyone can find a group of folks with similar interests and thoughts. Join a "hivemind" that fits you best.

On a completely unrelated note, if your name is a nod to Undergrads, wtg, I loved that show :)

Latest posts

Back