Am I trying too hard?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jocsaint

Reaction score
Don't know if this is the appropriate section for this but... Do any of you think I try too hard? Posting the link to my "networking" post to newcomers... Posting too frequently... Replying instantly to peoples private messages... It feels like I'm trying too hard to be liked around here and I don't think it's helping me out any. I feel like I am alienating people here. I've burned enough bridges in my life, somebody please settle this dilemma I have...

Do you think you are? If this is something you are noticing about yourself maybe you feel you are trying to hard. That's usually a good indicator to back off a bit. I'm not saying you are, haven't really noticed to say the truth. One's own gauge of themselves is the best self control.

Well, Joc...I cant speak for anyone else, but I haven't heard a single bad thing about you since you got here. I think you do just fine.

You aren't trying too hard. You came here in search of support and solace. A person who is looking for friends. You already have my respect for the courage you've shown by sharing your thoughts with us.

Until you give me a reason to dislike you, I already consider you a friend. A courageous and kindhearted one. You just be you. If some don't like you for who you are, to Hell with them.

Sci-Fi said:
Do you think you are? If this is something you are noticing about yourself maybe you feel you are trying to hard. That's usually a good indicator to back off a bit. I'm not saying you are, haven't really noticed to say the truth. One's own gauge of themselves is the best self control.

Yes, hence why I created this thread. I think I'm going to limit my time here, only log on once every Friday in the afternoon. I wish I never posted in the "networking" section, I knew that wouldn't turn out too well.

Unlike LoneKiller (fantastic name for someone who considers everyone a friend from the get-go, by the way) I view most people as initially grey and this slides slowly into the black until they single me out, I guess. Plenty of people ignore me, which doesn't bother me enough to suddenly attack them with an axe etc, but it does largely let me ignore them. Or something. I DON'T KNOW.

Anyway, from what I've seen here, no one expresses their feelings about others without wrapping it in a perception filter first - I.E you'll see a couple of threads where people are saying they'll leave and placing a trail of breadcrumbs about why, hoping someone will follow. So don't worry I guess, since what I'm trying to say is ultimately no one cares. I don't think anyone here is materialistic enough to care about post count, though maybe one or two like to think of it as a personal score, I dunno. That's about the only thing I can think of that could make you look like you were "tryharding" by spamming every thread you can to raise your post count.

Hell, the only other thing I can think of that I sometimes do wonder what people will think, is by reviving old, dying threads when bored and lurking. I see a thread no one has posted in for like a year (lol) and then I go ahead and post my rather pointless opinion..suddenly it's there in the list of recent activity and I like to think it sits there mocking everyone, being annoying. Soon gets buried though.

Anyway not seen many of your posts, but I can't see there's anything wrong with posting friendly stuff unless it comes across as sappy and a blatently obvious post to make yourself look good - many people would assume that of LoneKillers above post, since generally it's a sappy, friendly post built from assumptions and not facts, but generally, LoneKiller is pretty much genuine and friendly.

Also I get lost very quickly, and now I don't even know where I was planning on taking this when I started writing it.

Basically, you can't control peoples opinions, so don't try. Stick your nose everywhere - if people don't like it, so what? It's a forum, a PUBLIC BOARD so long as you don't break the rules, what you post is never wrong.

It might get you hated, shunned, and talked about behind your back, but IT'S NEVER WRONG. It's wrong to put on false personalities in the hope people will like you. It's wrong to lie about yourself and claim things that aren't true. Most people won't ever find out - but it does more harm to you than us, I guess.

WHOA WHERE THE HELL AM I. I've completely lost track now, derailed, even.

Do you like shellfish?

Jocsaint said:
Sci-Fi said:

Yes, hence why I created this thread. I think I'm going to limit my time here, only log on once every Friday in the afternoon. I wish I never posted in the "networking" section, I knew that wouldn't turn out too well.
I think a mod can delete it for you if you wish.:)

Given that we all sought out and found a forum for the lonely I wouldn't worry too much about judgement. Each and everyone one of us found ourselves here for a reason, we sought a forum like this for a reason. I have my reasons for why I find myself here and you have yours. I am in no position to judge anyone here and they are in no position to judge me. Unless of course I say something to rightfully elicit judgement. I think that rule applies to us all. Maybe some are new here like me, maybe some are veterans of the forum. But there is still no right to judge on an issue such as the one you worry about.
I know you haven't mentioned that anyone is judging you, nor am i suggesting they have - how would I know. But at the root of your question is the concept of judgement from others. Plain and simple, who gives a f**k!! Nobody can judge you, your reason for being here, your frequency of posts, your swiftness of response or indeed what you hope to find. Relax my friend and go about your business.

That's a hell of a lot of repetition of the word judgement ive used there. Who cares.

Jocsaint said:
Sci-Fi said:

Oh I wouldn't say that you need to limit yourself that much. Like Eve mentioned, there haven't been any complaints about you, and if people aren't giving you a hard time about it you really have nothing to worry about. You seem like a person who probably over thinks or reads too much into situations then start to worry. I have that same problem, that's why I mentioned about ones own self.

Unlike LoneKiller (fantastic name for someone who considers everyone a friend from the get-go, by the way)

Friends are easier to lure into my home where I can spike their drinks with a paralytic agent making it much easier to kill them then burn them to the ground.:D

Jocsaint said:
Don't know if this is the appropriate section for this but... Do any of you think I try too hard? Posting the link to my "networking" post to newcomers... Posting too frequently... Replying instantly to peoples private messages... It feels like I'm trying too hard to be liked around here and I don't think it's helping me out any. I feel like I am alienating people here. I've burned enough bridges in my life, somebody please settle this dilemma I have...

That's what the forum's for, right? Just because you're enthusiastic isn't necessarily a bad thing, but be aware that some people could find it slightly intimidating, suppose it's all about finding a balance.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into it, ugh, need coffee...

If you're looking for validation, then no.

LoneKiller said:
Unlike LoneKiller (fantastic name for someone who considers everyone a friend from the get-go, by the way)

Friends are easier to lure into my home where I can spike their drinks with a paralytic agent making it much easier to kill them then burn them to the ground.:D

Well the fact that you are the killer of all that is lone, considering everyone a friend right off the bat is the way to go. Forge ahead, Jethro!

Latest posts

Back