Android or iPhone?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeaningIntoTheMuse

Reaction score
Which is better? Thoughts?

I went from an iPhone to an Android, and I don't think I'm going to switch again. My opinion is that the iPhone has a good design, and lots of apps, but the Android (I have an HTC One S) has a lot more options. You also can't play a lot of Android things on iPhone, but you can play iPhone things on Android (there are hacks.)

iCloud and iTunes Match is also pretty horrible, compared to things like Google Drive and Amazon MP3 (one of the best musical discoveries...I have a library of over 32,000 songs, and now I can throw everything together and ditch iTunes.) The Android I have also has a better camera, better apps, and a better look and feel.

I'm not throwing away my old iPhone, though. I can use it as a iPod Touch now. But I definitely feel that Android is a better phone.

Android user over here. I have an iPod touch for music though.

And fully agree with you. :D

Nokia is not Android, I think they use a different OS.

There is also Windows phones, which look tempting, but they don't have a lot of Apps yet.

I'm pretty happy with my iPhone- issue free and very intuitive to use.

As a developer it's only natural I'd say Android. No vendor lock-in. You can develop on whatever OS you want.

Android.

Apple are an annoying company that constantly flood the market with expensive products, which is forever being updated, along with "newer upgrades" seasonally... to say the least.

Dissident said:
It's only intuitive because it has no flexibility. It's about as intuitive as turning on a lamp.

Whatever- it works every time I turn it on, has regular updates, is consistent, easy to activate, and it just keeps getting better....

Consistency isn't a surprising feature if you're on a one-way street. ;) And the same arguments can be made for Android. If you have problems with it it's more than likely because you're using borked software.

Consistency- not necessarily a bad thing, shiny,new, and lots of advertising doesn't necessarily mean better. Seems like Apples one-way street doesn't have a lot of potholes or stoplights along the way and they simply continue to refine a platform that's proven reliable instead of continually trying to reinvent the wheel.

As far as turning on lamps- over the years I've seen touch lamps, lamps that allegedly turn on to clapping or whistling and remote controlled lamps but the irony is that the majority of us intuitively look for a switch. That's why the iPhone is so appealing, it's intuitive, comfortable, and reliable (3 years now, not a problem at all). Just like a switch.

Yeah but the price you pay for it is that it's expensive as all hell, and the reason that nearly all of the useful apps cost money in the first place is because development is such a *****. Being restricted to using an Apple computer, an Apple deployment system, a programming language almost exclusive to Apple, and even an Apple IDE... great if you have tons of money and don't mind being stuck in a cubicle with a typewriter. Development on Android is like pushing over the partitions and painting on a canvas. You can make a mess, yeah, but you don't have to look at drab, black monospace on white letter size paper anymre.

Expensive- maybe so initially but if you buy quality the first time it saves on the growing expense of buying crap and constantly replacing it. I buy Apple products not because I have loads of cash but simply because I want to buy what I need once and not have to replace it frequently thus saving cash (the iPod touch for example- we've had it for a little over six years now- my daughter has taken possession of it and it still works great).

The development side of it means little to me, as the end-user I'm quite happy with the product. I'm assuming the "...cubicle with a typewriter." is in reference to being a developer so it doesn't really apply to me.

Latest posts

Back