Anxiety

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJosher24

Reaction score
Is it normal to feel like something's wrong with you when you're by yourself, as if if you need other people, that without them, you're helpless and lost?

With me, it's like this. And when I'm around people I feel better. But when I go back to being by myself, that anxiety comes back and it's usually stronger. Is it normal to need other people for perpetuating sanity?

Yes, same for me. I feel helpless and lost when I am on my own and thoughts rush through my mind, especially at night. I also sometimes feel very depressed and most of the time very lonely.

I find being around people helps forget about the worries and helpessness but that is really quite normal for anyone. I do think I sometimes use it like a blanket to shut out the bad thoughts and feelings though which is bad.

The problem I have that others may not is that fact that I have social anxiety so I do not have many people at all to go out with or see because I suck at socializing.

What are the symptoms for Social Anxiety? I mean, is it as simple as being impotent at socializing? Is it that it's difficult to make friends or is it that the intuition is out the window in terms of talking to people?

"Social anxiety is anxiety (emotional discomfort, fear, apprehension, or worry) about social situations, interactions with others, and being evaluated or scrutinized by other people. The difference between social anxiety and normal apprehension of social situations is that social anxiety involves an intense feeling of fear in social situations and especially situations that are unfamiliar or in which one will be watched or evaluated by others. The feeling of fear is so great that in these types of situations one may be so worried that he or she feels anxious just thinking about them and will go to great lengths to avoid them."

I took that from the wiki as that is quite an accurate description. Also some people with social anxiety can experience panic attacks which are rather uncomfortable to say the least. Ofcourse anyone can get panic attacks, people who are not diagnosed with social anxiety can get them but I think people with social anxiety are just more likely to get them because, if I am correct, they are brought on by anxiety. I am not a doctor though and am not an expert on this area.

That sounds pretty severe, to feel immense fear in social situations. So what do you do for socialization? I mean, does it interfere with your virtual socialization or not? 'Cause it'd be virtually the same, I imagine, as talking to a person face-to-face, the same process of talking, at least, the same uncertainty in other people's response or thoughts or judgment(s).

No it is not the same as talking to someone virtually, atleast for me. The fact I have been talking to people online, have had my own computer and the internet since I was 10, probably helps a bit. (I am now 25)
Then again online you do not have to deal with certain things like eye contact and you have time to think about what you are going to say so it is very different... No pressure basically.

I think its normal to be that way, when i get bad with the panic being around people helps me. I have social phobia/anxiety too so i know how it feels but i'm a lot better than i used to be. :)

ShybutHi said:
No it is not the same as talking to someone virtually, atleast for me. The fact I have been talking to people online, have had my own computer and the internet since I was 10, probably helps a bit. (I am now 25)
Then again online you do not have to deal with certain things like eye contact and you have time to think about what you are going to say so it is very different... No pressure basically.

Yeah, online conversations may be comfortable, but with me, it's as if the anxiety I feel in person extends to the virtual world. I become nervous in even approaching people, even those I know and have talked to in person. It's strange, this feeling.

Grey said:
I think its normal to be that way, when i get bad with the panic being around people helps me. I have social phobia/anxiety too so i know how it feels but i'm a lot better than i used to be. :)

Does it affect you, being around people? Or is it just when you try to make contact with them?

Latest posts

Back