Anybody else have Avoidant Personality Disorder?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

shadetree

Just wondering if anybody else here had AVPD?

Im going to a therapist but they dont do CBT and i read thats the most effective treatment for this. I cant afford one of the good psychologists for this so i keep going to see who im seeing but it feels like a waste of time.

Just feel kinda beat down by all of this. I think im going to just have to bite the bullet and save up for a couple years and go see a good therapist. I really need to get cured. This is killing me living this way. Ill be turning forty april 6th and the last time i really felt "normal" i was in highschool. I was always socially anxious but i wasnt a total hermit. Just makes me really sad thinking i could be this way from now on when theirs legitimate treatments out there for this but i cant afford them. I think the worst part about mental illness is the scars. If you have a physical illness people can see how much youre hurting but with this they cant see how much you hurt or how deep it goes.

I hope i overcome this one day. Ive never really known what its like to just be myself as crazy as that sounds. At least not around other people and besides the isolation. Thats the loneliest thing of all.

Is this the same as Pathological Demand Avoidence?
I understand what you mean about not knowing what it is like just to be yourself-I have felt this way so many times.

I'm seeing a therapist right now. We work on getting me out of the house more. She's always coming up with these ideas. I get scared and stay at home. I only get out of the house to go to doctor appointments or grocery shop. So I can relate to being isolated. On the rare occasion I'm out, I do act myself. I am outgoing. I just don't like driving places unless I have to. I like staying at home all day in my pajamas.

I hope you can get the help you need. I wish you luck.

Tiina63 said:
Is this the same as Pathological Demand Avoidence?
I understand what you mean about not knowing what it is like just to be yourself-I have felt this way so many times.

Heres a definition of AVPD at the bottom of this page that tells about it. http://www.avoidantpersonality.com/ but its basically like a really extreme form of social anxiety mixed with some OCD and maybe in some cases co dependence because you get so beat down its hard to do things on your own. I depend on my wife a whole lot.

Im sorry you feel like that too sometimes, its a horrible feeling. Im myself on here, i just mean physically in the "real world" not online. It sucks.

bodeilla said:
I'm seeing a therapist right now. We work on getting me out of the house more. She's always coming up with these ideas. I get scared and stay at home. I only get out of the house to go to doctor appointments or grocery shop. So I can relate to being isolated. On the rare occasion I'm out, I do act myself. I am outgoing. I just don't like driving places unless I have to. I like staying at home all day in my pajamas.

I hope you can get the help you need. I wish you luck.

Thank you i appreciate that, you too. I know its a miserable way to live like this i might as well be agorophobic too because i never leave the house. Hey i sent you a pm btw. You dont have to answer if you dont want to but i just wanted to say that if you ever want somebody to talk to im here. I hope you are able to get out there and beat what youre dealing with.

These are just labels, there's nothing wrong with you.

On the other hand, people who need social attention all of the time are the true diseased ones. Be proud to be self-reliant.

shadetree said:
Just wondering if anybody else here had AVPD? Ive never really known what its like to just be myself as crazy as that sounds. At least not around other people and besides the isolation. Thats the loneliest thing of all.

I have it. I used to hang out on an avoidant personality board but gave up because all of them seemed to think they were horrible horrible things that needed serious help. I don't. Though my natural tendency is to want to stay away from people... I do go out and live in this world. But no matter what... my first instinct is to avoid people at all costs. Personally I think that is because I get very little from them.

Personally I'd disagree that AvPD would make you self-reliant lonelydoc. Fears can reach the point where finding employment is difficult due to the social aspects of certain jobs, as well putting those who have it off trying activities they want to do simply through fear of what others will think of them. In fact it can make you dependent on a small group of people, typically family, who are around you.

I often think I probably have this one. I do avoid quite a number of things for the reason of being insecure how to handle them. Also I often choose to be a "recluse" to avoid unpleasant social contacts which could have the potential of making me feel unease or of making me feel prone for criticism ...

I was diagnosed with AvPD back in 2009. I don't think I've improved, despite years of therapy. I've actually become much worse over the past two years. I am almost completely isolated. I don't work. I started going to a writing group once a week, but that ends soon. Other than that, I don't talk to anyone. And I mean ANYONE.

I diagnosed myself as avoidant a few years back. And I definitely had the traits. I am more balanced now as I run my own meet up and do like being social. But some things I am still definitely avoidant. Like I can't be social for a long time, would not feel comfortable. Also employment issues...that is my buggaboo but I am self employed now so I don't have to worry. But to be "whole" I should focus on that.

Latest posts

Back