Anybody recommend something to numb emotions?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alcohol. Cocaine.

Problem is, you can't ever numb them forever, no matter what sort of therapy you take.

I used to take anti-depressants and stopped when I realized they were making me gain weight. I'm not fat and I don't really care about that, it's the having to buy a whole new wardrobe I can't afford, that bothers me. They helped numb my feelings and even helped a bit with my anxiety issues but I found I wasn't expressing them, they weren't just going away.

I was sabscribted with Prozak, and i use Retaline...
Kinda helps i guess =/
But of course alcohol and music too

sothatwasmylife said:
Time doesn't heal....time numbs....any chance you can get some talking therapy and reclaim part of yourself

I just found my favorite 2015 phrase....

Yep I was pretty impressed when I heard that phrase....and especially from a Phychiatrist it was almost as if he had no problem disregarding the rules...pretty exceptional bloke

feelings-image_zpsab51186d.jpg

But people are already robots. Appreciating little things works for me, also tried Lexapro it worked on my anxiety. You should meet a doctor or take my advice on little things. :) I know doctors aren't Always useful but anything is a solution.

Attacking the feelings head on often works for me. If i need a quick escape i use oxazepam, which probably has some other name in the US. Just only use it in a supportive role, not the main healer, as it's addictive.

Emotions are not bad or destructive things in themselves, for most people ( I am not speaking of more serious psychiatric disorders here, such as bi polar or schizophrenia, chronic depression or other mental disturbances).

Emotions, like physical pain, are what we have to alert us to things that are wrong in our lives, not physically, but psychologically, spiritually ....

Numbing them therefore is not necesarily a good idea, particularly if one is not addressing the underlying causes. If your hand is in a burning flame, would you ask for something to stop the pain or first take your **** hand out if it?

Sometimes numbing emotional pain just means a person can avoid dealing with what is the underlying problem. Is that really a good thing? I wouldn't say so, myself.

That being said, for some people emotional turmoil can be unpleasant and cause tremendous upheaval. It might make working on problems slow, painful or difficult. But learning to walk after a terrible accident might also be difficult, and there comes a point where basically, one just has to get on with it.

If this sounds a bit harsh I don't mean it to be, but I do think anything legal or illegal that you take to numb yourself will just get in the way of healing, and had the added risk of adding addiction in to the mix.

I tend to think healing is not always possible.
Coping is the more accurate term for emotional difficulty, whether a personality disorder that is chronic, or from core trauma suffered.
Learning to live with such circumstance is the challenge. Working through efforts may help overcome distorted thinking brought on by negative / bad circumstances, but not a given, that is certain.
My ex suffers from BPD, but she wont ever agree to get help she is fine as is, because it is more familiar to her, and she can do what she wants without any regard for other people's well being.
Another friend suffered serious molestation as a young child. It has permanently affected his dealings socially and professionally in his adult life. He hasn't healed but he has learned to cope with hard work.

I appreciate all the comments but i was just having a really bad day that day so no need for more input really unless you all are wanting to discuss it thats kewl no worries. But im good now thanks. Well good as can be considering.........well nevermind thats a totally different post.

Hope everybodys doing okay and thanks for the input and replies.

Benzodiazepine type drugs will help for a while. They are also highly addictive and can cause serious cognitive problems. Numbing emotion is pretty much the goal of any drug addiction, so alcohol, pot, all of those things can achieve that end, temporarily. However, what I am trying to do myself is start meditating, which is intended to control more than numb them. Seems like a healthier course.

Latest posts

Back