Anyone ever try therapy?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure everything is a choice. But when the ability to make certain choices, the right choices, becomes uncontrollably distorted due to the unintended misinterpretation of information, you have to choose to seek help from others. Particularly those who you feel understand the specific situations and mental states you experience.

We all have flaws and weaknesses, some more manageable or changeable than others. I don't know what a therapist provides, and you may be right about all of it. Everything is a choice, but not everything is black and white. And many things are not in your control - even if everyone has the potential to control what is in their own mind, it is more difficult for some on their own. Whether genetic or environmental, the personal causes must be vetted and understood, then tailored solutions are planned and executed. Results will vary, and you try again. Some seek guidance during this process, whether it is therapist or, if you are lucky, a friend.

LoneHistoric said:
Sure everything is a choice. But when the ability to make certain choices, the right choices, becomes uncontrollably distorted due to the unintended misinterpretation of information, you have to choose to seek help from others. Particularly those who you feel understand the specific situations and mental states you experience.

Everyone fails greatly at this. There is distorted information everywhere. It happens because no one has an absolute sense of truth vers untruth. However, when someone wants someone else to be responsible for their weakness, then of course they look for someone to tell them what to do. The problem is then your life is theirs, rather then your own. The only way around that is to get multiple opinions, which you generally can't get from a single person. No one really has half the answers they claim. That is why arrogance = ignorance.

We all have flaws and weaknesses, some more manageable or changeable than others. I don't know what a therapist provides, and you may be right about all of it. Everything is a choice, but not everything is black and white. And many things are not in your control - even if everyone has the potential to control what is in their own mind, it is more difficult for some on their own. Whether genetic or environmental, the personal causes must be vetted and understood, then tailored solutions are planned and executed. Results will vary, and you try again. Some seek guidance during this process, whether it is therapist or, if you are lucky, a friend.

Skorian said:
LoneHistoric said:

Everyone fails greatly at this. There is distorted information everywhere. It happens because no one has an absolute sense of truth vers untruth. However, when someone wants someone else to be responsible for their weakness, then of course they look for someone to tell them what to do. The problem is then your life is theirs, rather then your own. The only way around that is to get multiple opinions, which you generally can't get from a single person. No one really has half the answers they claim. That is why arrogance = ignorance.

I agree that information is distorted and part of helping yourself involves seeking honest opinions and preventing ignorance. But specifically the issue I address is mental illness, where a person may in fact possess neurological disorders which affect the control or interpretation of incoming stimuli, and may even cause the brain to manufacture stimuli or incorrectly compensate for an inability to filter emotions and experiences.

Due to such conditions, some may not even recognize they have a problem. For those who can recognize the problem but cannot solve it on their own, help is needed. Where to turn? Doctors, medications, etc... I don't know. I read a lot, but I have a hard time trusting people (and apparently from my experiences the fear is very well-founded) so talking is very difficult. Again I don't know if a therapist would hurt or help, but at least it's something, an option in a world void of trust.

I see a therapist, and med Dr, monthly.
I am taking several drugs due to being Bi-polar, and BPD- and I really don't love having to take pills everyday of my life, but if I were not taking the pills I would be laying in my bed all day crying. at least with my therapist I have SOMEBODY to actually talk to, as in my everyday life I have nooooobody.

and with the holidays coming up, and I feel I am already getting even more depressed. so at this point I am gonna ask for even more pills (happy pills) because I HATE the stupid holiday commercials about family and love bull crap... because not everyone has a family, or like in my case I do, but am just ignored.

a therapist is a good thing. I say go for it.
good luck, and really give it some thought.

princess....

Nolife, what you are saying essentially is that you have no to talk to, or no family that cares for you. So for you a therapist is a surrogate friend/family member much like a hooker is a surrogate lover. However much unlike a prostitute the mental health field makes very weighty claims about being able to set patient's lives onto a better course and cope with some artificially human constructed defect that is purported as genetic which they need chemical and other treatment for.

If everyone in this thread pimping this modern Efaistos had your candor the relative truth of your collective perceptions would be much more obvious. Someone can make a part of their work time to care about your life, and you can perceive it as such. But absolutely you don't know their real opinion of you, since their professional capacity imposes a false decorum which hides too much. Too many confound this with a real therapeutic difference being made in their life from otherwise failed mental health interventions.

paulo said:
see a psychologist they are not qualified to put you on medication.
so they cant.

Many psychologists work in the same office as psychiatrists. They often work together.

but its always up to you if you take anything or not.
its even up to you if you listen to them or not.

It can be hard to really ignore someone completely. As far as meds go, it is likely they will sit there with a DSM and give you a disorder, especially if you are not paying out of pocket as they need to give you a label to get paid. It is very common that if they decide that you have something that they will suggest drugs and claim you need it to deal with your illness. That is what they do. It can depend though.

or if you talk or not and what you talk about.
they cant make you do anything.
they are there to help you help yourself.

The problem with this is that they put themselves in a godlike position. Can claim to have answers that they do not have. Of course they can't legally force anything unless you are a danger to yourself, but they can try to convince you of things that are completely untrue. That is the power of belief and suggestion. All people can influence one another. You have to be careful how much power you give a stranger.

If you had heard some of the real life stories I have heard.

what you do with it is up to you.

theyre not almighty know it al beings or something :p
i disagread with mine quite a lot and you can just tell em so.
thats the point really.
finding out what the problem is, you argue you discuss, its the process thats importand really.
you have to put in a lot yourself, you cant just sit down and have him fix things.
basicly hes just sitting there while you fix yourself :p
he just knows a little bit more about what kinda questions might be helpfull and usefull to think aboub.
if you get nothing out of it your more to "blame" than he is.
hes just a tool for you to use to help yourself.

You sound like a talking advertisement.... I wonder if these are your own words or your repeating what you have been told? Just because you are told that, doesn't make it true.

Considering.... I think it would make more sense to buy self help books or just books and learn something. It is ALOT cheaper. There are better ways to spend $100+ dollars.

Maybe you don't realize this, but it is "sort of" possible to buy friendship. You could advertise and offer to pay someone the same rate for, 5 instead of 1 hours, for them to pretend to like you. And you could go and do something with them rather then sit in an office. You could pay someone to sit and watch you play a video game. Or all sorts of things. You could actually make a real friend from it, depending upon the person.

312855_255304871187542_106745079376856_811808_1158012638_n.jpg

That would work a lot better.

In real life it's "I'll sadistically watch you thrash around in your agony and charge you $250 for doing so for 45 minutes. Maybe it will work next week. You have to do the work, you know. I just get paid for it."

Latest posts

Back