Anyone had any luck volunteering or joining a group

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libby08

Reaction score
I just this past week started volunteering at a food pantry. I am thinking of trying a needling class in a few weeks. All of this of course in the hopes of meeting some new people. Anyone had any luck with these type of endeavors?

I have done lots of different volunteer work, and have witnessed first-hand the positive effects it can have on a human being. Personally I have never found purpose in such endeavors, nor made real friends, but nonetheless I'm glad I tried it. And I'd say about 90 percent of my former collegues did find either meaning or companionship while volunteering, prompting me to recommend it highly :)

Well, let's say that after three years of doing that I have tons of acquaintances through two, maybe three different groups, which makes life a bit easier for practical things: you need to know the name of a plumber or borrow a printer you know who to ask to, that helps. It also helps mental health, when I am really depressed I try and go in the group, I don't talk to much about my problems, but the general friendliness helps cheer me up.
Friends, that is another story, out of maybe a hundred people I spent time with in the last two years maybe there is - one? one and a half? that I can call friend and trust, they are like needles in a haystack.
Also, there are several people who hate my guts for reasons unknown to me, that's social life for you.
All in all, a positive experience.

I love volunteering! I've been doing it for almost 20 years. The people you meet are genuinely good people. They want to be there so they usually have very positive attitudes.

I volunteer during the summer at a village here that houses adults with mental disabilities. Since I am a Sped teacher during the year, it's kind of the place where my heart lies. I go three times a week and read a story to them in ASL. It gives them an opportunity to learn sign as well, really helping some of them communicate better. I find the time I spend there very fulfilling.

If anyone is looking to volunteer, I always suggest to them doing something that's close to their heart.

libby08 said:
Anyone had any luck with these type of endeavors?

Personally, no. I've been volunteering since I was 11 years old, have joined various groups and taken classes. I have yet to make any friends (though bullies are aplenty, and will be no matter where you go. For reasons unknown to me a number of people have expressed hatred towards me and sabotaged my work.) I don't particularly derive any enjoyment or fulfillment from it, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try it.

I have been going to various groups-reading groups, a French group, discussion groups-for three years and like some people above have found a lot of aquaintances but no new friends. I haven't been and I'm not hated in any of the groups I have been to or in those I still go to, though I am not one of the in crowd either in any of them. All in all, if the choice is between sitting at home feeling overwhelmingly alone or going to a group I would take the second option.

I've volunteered at a few things. Sorting through clothes at a charity shop, volunteering at a kitchen, and with Meals on Wheels. Every time, I was, at first, given nothing to do. So I would start doing what looked like needed to be done, or just doing what everyone else was doing. And I would get told off for doing something, or doing it wrong ... and then shown how it should be done ... until someone else told me off because I wasn't doing it the way THEY thought it should be done. So I would then be back to having nothing to do. Would never get thanked for volunteering, or even offering to volunteer. And the last straw was, at one large, internationally known charity group, being told that they didn't want "my type" hanging around. I didn't even care to find out what they assumed the type of person they thought I was, because by then I was done with volunteering.

Granted, these have only been my experiences, and many other people would have had positive experiences in volunteering. So I would say try it, if you want to. But don't let them walk all over you or take you for granted.

I am volunteering in a theater. In fact it's my only connection to a so called social life. Before this I have been working as spokesman for an organisation against corruption in public life. Since the latter was extremely frustrating and demanding and ended in a couple of rather unpleasant and threatening situations, the first is actually very satisfying. In a creative way. And yes- I happen to meet a couple of interesting people. Plus it is pretty international. And that always stimulates the intellect.

I volunteer to do some house work each week, apart from that - no. But perhaps I should to fill my time of doing nothing.

I used to volunteer at a International Language Institute teaching English to non-English speakers. It was fun for me and I gave me a way to conquer my fear of speaking in public. It's already hard try to get to know new people but to teach them is frightening. I always had this thought of the students not liking me. The students were very nice and they always brought make food for the lead teacher and I. I really want to apply to a program to teach English overseas because I like teaching a lot.

I'm a volunteer cook at a homeless shelter and womens domestic violence shelter (The two are run by the same organization.) I haven't made any friends doing it, but I don't think volunteer work is necessarily the best place to make friends anyway. People from all walks of life spend their time helping others, so you might not meet anyone who you want to spend a lot of time with.

It has been a good experience for me though.

I've considered doing this, just to have things to put on my resume.

But when I've volunteered before, I've made friends. I don't have trouble making friends. Keeping them is the hard part.

If I didn't have a job I would definitely work in one of the many charity shops near me. A few days a week, keep me occupied and have something to get up for. They are always advertising. A lot of young people work there, obviously unemployed hoping to gain some experience.

I just completed a course that will lead on to some volunteering later in the year. I met some nice people, who I may end up volunteering with, but I don't think I will become good friend with them. We have add each other to Facebook, so we will keep in touch like that, so that is nice for me.

I hope you enjoy it :).

I've been doing community service/volunteer/charity work for 14 years now. It can sometimes help out with being lonely... unless there are cute females there.

Where can I find volunteering work?

Nothing interests me, but i want to change my life and try to get involved in something.

Latest posts

Back