Are there really so many of us?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wah

Reaction score
A significant number of us loners seem to be prone to self-comfort and the good old "I'm not the only one, there are so many of them like me out there. It's a normal thing these days." is usually the first on the list.

But is that how it really is? Are there really so many people out there doing the same?

Lately it seems like not a day goes by that at least once I don't read or hear about how the new society is generating an increasing number of people (especially young people) that are getting sucked into the closed circle of failing social skills and more and more frustration. How the technology has estranged us from one another. How the capitalistic gore has left room for nothing but fear and rage.

I want to believe this. But I walk down the street and I don see it. I browse through online communities and I don't read it. I talk to people and I don't hear it. I'm working so hard to convince myself that everything I've been told and have eventually grown to believe is true, but I don't feel it.

Everywhere I look they've been going out since before they even hit puberty. They could always pick who to hang out with today.

They've had their first relationship before 18. Most of them have had their first kiss before 15. I don't even want to start about other intimacies.

I don't have any friends and I'm not ashamed of it. The more I think about it lately, the more proud I actually am about it.

But it wasn't always like that. I used to have a lot of friends. Maybe I didn't call them that for one reason or another, but it did feel like they would call me that if asked.

Whoever I talked to at the time had absolutely no idea what I was talking about when even just a fraction of my daily feelings pack happened to surface. When I really opened up, 98 % of them (even some who I thought I had a thing or two in common with) first looked at me in shock and disbelief. Then in blame. Needless to say, none of them could even imagine not having sex before say 20, much less not kiss a girl.

Every forum I turned to in the past (dometic Croatian forums and international forums alike) took less then three posts to stamp a label of "weird" on my forehead. But usually it was "sick" (my favorite). You have real problems, kid, go to therapy, you're the only one with issues, give us a break will ya, and so on.

Yes, it could all just be a bunch of your usual forum heroes and know-alls. No doubt some of them fall into that category.

But then why is RL no different? Why have I been told virtually the same things from real people all my life? Sometimes even face to face?

Are we only kidding ourselves here? Is it just easier to believe that we're not just an irrelevant minotry vote in the world?

Is it just too hard to accept that we're so exceptional, and not in a positive way?

Why do so many of us have such a hard time believing that a group of five in a park might actually be happy? That they aren't just "kidding themselves"?

Or a couple holding hands? Even the in crowd at school? Even the least among the interest marriages?

Yes, most of us will rather be like this forever than comply to a single one of their rules of engagement. I'm the first to admit it.

But why is it so hard to believe there might actually be some truth in having a full phone book or 300 Facebook friends? Is their laughter really never a candid expression of joy?

I try really hard to convince myself otherwise. But lately I really need convincing. Something like I'm just a member of some new first-generation movement on the rise and I don't know it yet. That maybe I'm just going through a phase in my life. Maybe it's all a conspiracy.

But I have yet to hear a line that can make up for the images in the tram, on the bus, in a coffee shop, in a park.

Is it time for us to come to terms with some things that those we have damned in the past have been telling us all along? Were they just calling a spade a spade?

Just putting down thoughts as they come, sorry. I hardly ever write here, as you can see, but this is something I believe well worth discussing. Sorry for the long rant though.

That was a very, very interesting post to read, and you raised some good points. I wish I could add to it in some way, and contribute to this thread, but you've pretty much said everything worth saying regarding the topic.

You know am just in the mood to reap your post to bits and really stick it in good.

But why? Cos am in pain and I am angry so I feel like taking it out on someone I don't really get on with. Ye that's why. But I can not.

Reason?

This =
wah said:
I don't have any friends and I'm not ashamed of it.

I do have one friend = A cousin. I even have another much older person that would put her self out for me even if she dose not understand. Only cos I choose to keep it that way.

End of the day. I and You are in the same vote.

Still stuck here on me own every day and night. still walk into a empty home alone.

I know its easy to do when you live alone. Thinking to much that is. There is such a thing as over analyzing stuff tho. I mean that in the most honest and sinser way possible. life to short to be hating ppl on line that really you know nothing about. There a nuff ppl in relay life to be hating that you do know something about.

If nothing else you got passion. Gotta love ye for that. shows ye got some spunk in ye.

Since i've been one of those loners myself when i grew up, the only logical reason to Your questions that i think actually is correct here, is that loners either don't actually go out or visit those communities You mention (You don't see them, because they avoid public places both online and in the real world) and/or that they simply are really good liars (hiding it, pretending to be happy just to fit in.) I did both. Maybe they only show up in places like this? Maybe that's why we only hear about it here? And there doesn't seem to be so many places like this on the net actually. Then of course, there seem to be lots of people who are so used to feeling crappy that they simply don't think that they're doing bad "enough" to complain about it. I was one of them, my soul-mate was one of them, and so was probably most of us before we found this place, i think (considering how people either take it slow and seem to have troubles showing their real feelings infront of unfamiliar people, or wreak total havoc since they have been holding it inside them for too long and just are so dead inside that they just have to let it out when they find an appropriate place to do so at.)

I think people simply need to find a place to feel allright to rant at, or they fear that they'll just end up loosing the few friends they have and/or to become even more unattractive in their own eyes.

Yeah...being a loner has it's advantages and it quirks too.
I told myself today I'm going to make the most of what I have no matter what.
So far it's been okay and I've been lucky.

I try not to think to **** much about whatever. I played the **** tape
in my head a million times already, she's not going pop out of her grave anytime soon or ever.
It's wrong... all fucken wrong , no matter how i feel or think about it.

A sort of disconnect I guess...on a good day I'm more tolerance for people,
on a bad say i assume they all can just eat honeysuckle and die.

Well, I actaully went to the mall today. I saw a crap loads of people buying stuff...
It actaully seems retarded to me. Then there's the corky moment of a complete
stranger smiling at me. I looked at her from head to toes...
Then the crazy thought runs through me **** head..."was that her ? Is she the
one that can save me from myself ?....**** it, the honeysuckle that gose in my head.
I did manger to put on a half ass smile instead of just banging her right then, right there.
It's wrong...it's all freaken wrong.

I need to get out more often :p

perhaps, everyone is afraid of confessing their loneliness, and they pretend everything is ok. they go out with their friends, have a relationship, but they are lonely still. its just hard to confess your loneliness, thats why its hard to find lonely people in public.

and people's opinion are just a few in a trillion. who the fresia cares? so other people on other forum made fun of you or tell you to fresia off, but if u do the same in this forum, no one will make fun or ignore you, thats for sure.

SighX99 said:
and people's opinion are just a few in a trillion. who the fresia cares? so other people on other forum made fun of you or tell you to fresia off, but if u do the same in this forum, no one will make fun or ignore you, thats for sure.

Well said.

And if anyone did try and take the piss here about that. well-I don't see them being here for very long.

Latest posts

Back