Are you a social misfit?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
isthatso said:
Do you struggle to connect? Kind of.
Don't feel part of the group? Yes
Others can annoy you easily? No
Feel people are trying to dominate you from the outset? No
Often feel on a totally different wavelength to others? Yes

I guess my style of thinking is way different than other people's. And I have little patience to mold my thoughts in someone else's way. I guess you can say I don't respond to social stimuli that much, I am more driven from within myself. Supposedly I CAN blend and belong as a part of a pretty large group, for me the cons and social responsibilities outweigh the pros.

Rosebolt said:
I think you are a strong individual, and here's why.

Society wants people to behave a certain way, and have their ways of imprinting this on others. You behave as you should, or you're weird/mentally ill/strange etc. etc.

You, and for as far as i've seen pretty much anyone else here, have the courage to be themselves, in the sense that they refuse to bend to the will of society.

What i simply want to say is that you have every right to be proud of yourself! I know from my own experience too that it can be very hard and frustrating to try to connect with others. But know that having and building on your own personality is a very good thing. And there are enough people who do understand you, and who do accept you for who you are. The people on here for example. Be proud of yourself, even if it's just because i am proud of you! :)

Thanks for saying this. I wanted to say that I believe everyone here is a strong person. I feel that people with social problems, for example, see things differently to the average socialable person. We just believe not being able to fit in is bad because we're the odd ones out. Really, we're the lucky ones. Some of us might struggle, but from what I've seen, we all get along here.

Also, Rose, we've been talking lately... All the encouragement from people on here has helped me to feel proud of myself and what I want to do. *end of soppy post*

Suppose I should do this:

Do you struggle to connect? No, but I struggle to get to the stage that we begin to connect.
Don't feel part of the group? Yes
Others can annoy you easily? Yes
Feel people are trying to dominate you from the outset? Sometimes, I sometimes stand my ground though.
Often feel on a totally different wavelength to others? Yes

Do you struggle to connect? - Yes. Definatly. Always have. Even as a child.

Don't feel part of the group? - All the time. Even online.

Others can annoy you easily? - Sometimes ... although it's really the lack of a connection to anyone that annoys me.

Feel people are trying to dominate you from the outset? - Yeah. Being told how I should feel, and what I should think, and what I should want and what I shouldn't ...

Often feel on a totally different wavelength to others? - Yep. What others seem to find relatively easy to do, I struggle with. What works for others, no matter how hard I try, will always end in a steaming heap of failure.

Yes, to all of your questions. In some groups it is a bit easier than in others, but over all I tend to be a social misfit. I do wonder how many others always seem to know the 'right' thing to say, or how they get noticed, while I go under the radar.
Or sometimes I get noticed in a negative way, like the other day in a discussion group I knocked my glass of coke over and it went all over the table and the floor:-(

Woz said:
Also, Rose, we've been talking lately... All the encouragement from people on here has helped me to feel proud of myself and what I want to do. *end of soppy post*

Good. :) And i agree with you that basicly everyone on here is a strong person, not because i want to be nice, but because of who they are.

Do you struggle to connect? Yes.
Don't feel part of the group? Yes.
Others can annoy you easily? Yes.
Feel people are trying to dominate you from the outset? Yes.
Often feel on a totally different wavelength to others? Yes.

Yes to all.
•It's hard for me to connect to people cause at such a young age reality hit me and I felt as if I was aware of things that others didn't see. And everyone seemed so oblivious. People saw me as cold cause I was blunt. I let a few in and showed my true feelings to them but overtime they faded away.

•Do I feel part of groups? No. If anything I feel as if I don't belong cause I've been in a group before and everyone in that circle outside the mall was talking non sense and anytime I tried to speak up noone tried to stop to listen or even acknowledge the fact I was the

•Annoyed easy. Yes I do. How people talk, how rude and cruel.they are. No respect for themselves or others. Wasting away. Having me to watch people waste away. People taking others for granted and insults coming out of their mouth. It sickens me so much. I just don't get people anymore. They confuse me so much.

•Dominate me? I hate feeling powerless I'll say that much. Lots of people in my life manipulated me with lies and I was very naive back than. But now I'm very cautious of others.

•Last one. Of course. I feel very different how I feel and view things about life. Not many people agree. Everyone these days only want to think the way how they think is right and hard to accept another opinion. I'm open on that manner and like seeing people's thoughts before stating mine and trying to compromise if they get upset. Not everyone is willing to do that though it seems like.

Do you struggle to connect? Yes.
Don't feel part of the group? Yes.
Others can annoy you easily? Yes.
Feel people are trying to dominate you from the outset? Yes.
Often feel on a totally different wavelength to others? Yes.

All of those things are a big part of why I'm on this site. I think another member posted a thread recently where she said she was "so lonely that it hurts - literally." I guess that about says it all.

And it's not just in the personal sphere that these things cause problems. So sick of seeing people I work with get away with murder because they're good at "schmoozing," whereas if I make the slightest mistake it seems like people are all over it, and don't forget about it for a long time.

So sick of seeing people I work with get away with murder because they're good at "schmoozing," whereas if I make the slightest mistake it seems like people are all over it, and don't forget about it for a long time.

that resonates with me! Know exactly what you're saying.

Do you struggle to connect? Yep.
Don't feel part of the group? Yep.
Others can annoy you easily? Certain kinds of people, Yes.
Feel people are trying to dominate you from the outset? Actually no, after a particularly nasty experience I decided to put my foot down, although that definately didn't help with the other points.
Often feel on a totally different wavelength to others? Not so much often as all the time.

Do you struggle to connect? Only to the Internet, lol
Don't feel part of the group? I do
Others can annoy you easily? I struggle to feel such an emotion :D
Feel people are trying to dominate you from the outset? People do try to do that here
Often feel on a totally different wavelength to others? A lot of people are on a different wavelength here, lol

Latest posts

Back