Are you spending Xmas alone?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strangely, I'm not saddened that I've spent the last few Christmases with no significant other.
Sure, it would be lovely, but I don't feel (for me personally)that being alone on a holiday is any different than being alone any other time.

I live alone but I will be spending the Christmas with my family. Feeling so blessed.

I don't have a partner and I don't have kids, so I will be spending the majority of the Christmas period alone. I will visit my sister's house on Christmas morning to give my niece's and nephew their presents and I'll stay there a bit. I'll have Christmas dinner with my mum and then the rest of the time I will be by myself.

I can't say it bothers me as much as it does some people. I get by just fine. It's not like I sit inside going "Oh, woe is me. This is so unfair!" - I just get outside and do things that make me happy.

Christmas is nice, I don't celebrate it, but it's always been nice, until the year 2006 when my dad passed away the day after Christmas. So since then, I kinda just skip pondering over Christmas, cos all I see is that time of the year when I lost a loved one.

Dreamer88 said:
Tiina63 said:
Dreamer88 said:
I usually spend Christmas with my family but a couple of years ago I spent it on my own and I hated it. It was horrible, especially because everything on TV is about Christmas and about how everyone should be together and happy, watching that made me feel worse about being all alone. I think the best thing to do would be to keep yourself busy, watch your favourite movies, play your favourite games, listen to your favourite music. When I have to spend another Christmas alone I'm definately buying myself a present, probaby a computer game because I'll be so busy playing it I wont even care I'm on my own.

I am usually alone on Christmas Day and find that watching DVDs rather than what is on is easier as there are no Christmas ads and no 'Christmas is about family and togetherness' messages to sit through.

Yeah, next time I'm alone on Christmas thats what I'm going to do. It was the first Christmas I was on my own and I didnt really know what to do. I ended up making myself miserable. I think next time I'll be better prepared :)

This year I hope to be watching the second series of 'Fame' from the 1980's. There are, I think, 23 episodes, so that is two a night for the twelve nights of Christmas till the twelth night when I will have only one epsiode. Christmas alone is very lonely though and I wouldn't recomend it.

I'm working Christmas eve and Boxing day so I have only Christmas day off.
My Dad isn't very festive, in fact he said he hates Christmas.
I expect the day will be boring. My Dad will probably put some western on or some old film.
I am off to my Mam's in the afternoon. She isn't that festive either. She will probably moan about my older brother not seeing her anymore.

This will be my first Christmas alone... well, I'll be at work with people... does that count as being alone? I'll be going home to an empty house... so perhaps...

I'll probably have some leftovers for dinner and ice cream. Then go to sleep early because I work early and do it all over again. Christmas this year will just be another day.

BFoD said:
This will be my first Christmas alone... well, I'll be at work with people... does that count as being alone? I'll be going home to an empty house... so perhaps...

I'll probably have some leftovers for dinner and ice cream. Then go to sleep early because I work early and do it all over again. Christmas this year will just be another day.

That it is Christmas is the problem. An artificail situation desinged at a time when there were communities and you did not have to have reason (this is my relative, this is my partner, this is my freind because...) to know your fellow man. In victorian times if you chose to be loney it was because you CHOSE to be lonely.

Now we have a world where many of us can not choose not to be lonely.

We in the west need to get our sence of community back and place it at the centre of all things. It should be above politics and ipads and walmart should be at the very bottom.

If I were to snare a fellow loner and fetch them round for chistmas dinner, it would likely be very arkward for both. And it shouldn't be.

I have no plans to be anywhere on Xmas day, so I will be alone. I'm not bothered by it at the moment, but that may change. But there's a Doctor Who episode on that day, so I'll be happy for that, at least.

Case said:
I have no plans to be anywhere on Xmas day, so I will be alone. I'm not bothered by it at the moment, but that may change. But there's a Doctor Who episode on that day, so I'll be happy for that, at least.

Jurys still out on that Capaldi...

Cavey said:
I don't have a partner and I don't have kids, so I will be spending the majority of the Christmas period alone. I will visit my sister's house on Christmas morning to give my niece's and nephew their presents and I'll stay there a bit. I'll have Christmas dinner with my mum and then the rest of the time I will be by myself.

I can't say it bothers me as much as it does some people. I get by just fine. It's not like I sit inside going "Oh, woe is me. This is so unfair!" - I just get outside and do things that make me happy.

I usually go for a drive or a walk, and then immerse myself on the internet and catch up on books I haven't finished reading. Also, the TV is pretty **** good at this time of year.

Solitary man said:
Cavey said:

I usually go for a drive or a walk, and then immerse myself on the internet and catch up on books I haven't finished reading. Also, the TV is pretty **** good at this time of year.

Don't know where you live but something I have always wanted to do is have a wonder about the city (central london) on xmas day. Must be likes something out of an apocalypse movie with no peaople around.

Well, I will be going to the same place I go every x-mas and thanksgiving:

My SIL's home. It is me, my brother, my nephew, my SIL and her mom. Her mom generally makes dinner. And truth... we do have a great time. Secretly, I am grateful as can be for my SIL's family. On some level I think they pity me, but they sure are kind and welcoming and I do truly say a little prayer to god for them.

But, when SIL's mom passes away or SIL divorces my brother, it will just be me and my cat.

On sad year, SIL's dad was dying, and I didn't go. I ended up sleeping until 12 PM and then going to a movie and that pretty much killed the day.

It doesn't bother me as much as some people seem to think it should. I suppose what does bother me is that I don't get any presents for x-mas. That is kind of a bummer. Prior to a few years ago my brother and SIL and I didn't exchange presents but one year I did it because I thought it was stupid that we didn't and so I suppose I will get a present from them. Maybe some day when my nephew is older he will get me one.

I'm not big on Christmas, I usually get the blue's around the Christmas time and I'm not sure why. I just feel really lonely and depressed and I hate celebrating it, I don't do much around the holidays. I usually spend it with my family, we usually eat dinner and go out to see a movie, than we celebrate my mother's birthday cause my mother's birthday is on Christmas. So trust me I know where you're coming from, with feeling lonely. Even though I'll be spending time with my family I'll still feel lonely inside. =\

ladyforsaken said:
Christmas is nice, I don't celebrate it, but it's always been nice, until the year 2006 when my dad passed away the day after Christmas. So since then, I kinda just skip pondering over Christmas, cos all I see is that time of the year when I lost a loved one.

LF, I'd totally throw you a Christmas feast and give you a reindeer headband to wear while opening presents if I could. :D

SophiaGrace said:
ladyforsaken said:

LF, I'd totally throw you a Christmas feast and give you a reindeer headband to wear while opening presents if I could. :D

That would be such a nice time. Perhaps, someday. :)
Thanks, Soph *hugs*

I won't be alone in the sense that I'll be with some family (my mother, my little sister, plus my adopted siblings (I guess -- Mum foster cares)) but usually Christmas is just another day to me, same with my birthday, so I'm not particularly excited about it or whatever. And as it's 'just another day', it is possible that I'll be feeling alone despite not actually being alone, but we'll see.

This post comes across more negatively than I meant it to. Sorry about that.

Christmas is fine, it's just afterwards the loneliness starts to kick in and it makes my moods worse and worse. Because it's summer holidays around Christmas where I live, I can't go out without feeling sad and jealous of people around me having a social life and I have none. Family have their own lives and friends, so I can't really go out with them and I have no one to meet up with or do anything with.

apparently my mother will be here for Xmas, I wonder how it will be, we never spent christmas together since I was like 12 (and I didn't want to) - we both changed so much in the last years, maybe it won't be all bad

but yeah, it would be nice to also have a social life

Latest posts

Back