Are you spending Xmas alone?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the exception of last year because I was stuck in the hospital and unable to walk, I've always spent it alone. It was never celebrated, like any holiday, when I was kid. I don't even remember ever having a birthday party.
Usually I stay in a hotel and get drunk and/or high because I can't work with it being holidays. So I may as well drink.

JHK said:
With the exception of last year because I was stuck in the hospital and unable to walk, I've always spent it alone. It was never celebrated, like any holiday, when I was kid. I don't even remember ever having a birthday party.
Usually I stay in a hotel and get drunk and/or high because I can't work with it being holidays. So I may as well drink.

Oh man, you sound like an alcoholic who hasn't had a very nice time in life. My childhood wasn't idyllic either. In fact, I've been through a lot, and I did for a time resort to alcohol to cope in my late 20s and early 30s. Don't do it to yourself is all I can say. It's a self defeating coping mechanism, which can get you through periods of loneliness, isolation and despair, but I always found that alcohol caused more personal problems than it solved.

Solitary man said:
JHK said:

Oh man, you sound like an alcoholic who hasn't had a very nice time in life. My childhood wasn't idyllic either. In fact, I've been through a lot, and I did for a time resort to alcohol to cope in my late 20s and early 30s. Don't do it to yourself is all I can say. It's a self defeating coping mechanism, which can get you through periods of loneliness, isolation and despair, but I always found that alcohol caused more personal problems than it solved.

Hard life, I guess. Don't we all? I feel a lot older then 20 most of the time.
I am an alcoholic/addict... Much more practiced in the art of alcohol. I tried quitting but it wasn't worth it. I have a much easier time dealing with myself when I'm not sober. I may as well enjoy it for whatever amount of life I have left.
I never did get why holidays seem to make everything worse but when you're laying in a hotel bed and flicking threw the channels it's all so ******* happy - the families and everything. Sort of thrown in your face when you have none.

I agree-the 'family, family, family' stress really rubs salt in the wound when you have no family.

I'm sorry guys... to everyone who has to spend Christmas alone. It's hard, it may seem like a rut, but I'm sure you can try to turn it into something positive.

It might not be the best advice, but treat yourself to gingerbread cookies and hot chocolate. :D

It used to get to me but doesn't anymore, because I still enjoy having time off.

In fact I hate traveling and getting packed on the airplanes and roads with all of the other scum just to visit relatives you don't really want to see anyway.

Seeker_2.0 said:
I'm not spending Christmas alone but I really want to. Don't know why though.

My Dad rung me to try to get me to go round there for Christmas. I don't want to. I feel no less lonley round there than I do on my own. we have little in common (them being Daily Express UKIP types and me Guardian reading to the left of Chomsky type.

I think there is no problem in the fact you wan't to spend it alone.

cumulus.james said:
Seeker_2.0 said:

My Dad rung me to try to get me to go round there for Christmas. I don't want to. I feel no less lonley round there than I do on my own. we have little in common (them being Daily Express UKIP types and me Guardian reading to the left of Chomsky type.

Every year I "have to be with the family on Christmas". That's what's getting on my nerves. Never mind that they always invite distant relatives they don't even like, just because they feel they "have to". I live in a traditional country, where social obligations are seen just as that: obligations, which must be kept. So every year I have to sit there and talk with people I don't care about and who demand that I explain to them why i'm still single etc etc. Ugh

Seeker_2.0 said:
cumulus.james said:
Seeker_2.0 said:

Every year I "have to be with the family on Christmas". That's what's getting on my nerves. Never mind that they always invite distant relatives they don't even like, just because they feel they "have to". I live in a traditional country, where social obligations are seen just as that: obligations, which must be kept. So every year I have to sit there and talk with people I don't care about and who demand that I explain to them why i'm still single etc etc. Ugh

oh dear.

Seeker_2.0 said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting to spend Christmas with people or family. Sometimes they're not really good company, or you just don't get along with them and it's difficult to force yourself and pretend, it's pretty exhausting. I've had to do this for a lot of occasions, not Christmas though, and it always frustrates me at the end of the day and leave me feeling so ... wound up and stressed.

It's just not for everyone and that's perfectly fine.

And I totally get that too, the question being why am I still not getting married like all my other cousins and relatives have. *sigh*

ladyforsaken said:
Seeker_2.0 said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting to spend Christmas with people or family. Sometimes they're not really good company, or you just don't get along with them and it's difficult to force yourself and pretend, it's pretty exhausting. I've had to do this for a lot of occasions, not Christmas though, and it always frustrates me at the end of the day and leave me feeling so ... wound up and stressed.

And I totally get that too, the question being why am I still not getting married like all my other cousins and relatives have. *sigh*

Hehe, you may not remember it Lady, but we had this exact conversation 2 christmasses ago (with my old account). You understood me then and you still understand me now. Not that anything has changed since then, but still it's comforting to hear from you :)

Seeker_2.0 said:
ladyforsaken said:
Seeker_2.0 said:

Hehe, you may not remember it Lady, but we had this exact conversation 2 christmasses ago (with my old account). You understood me then and you still understand me now. Not that anything has changed since then, but still it's comforting to hear from you :)

OMG I JUST KNEW IT. I didn't see the relations but I see it now!

I had some sense or feeling when I saw you around and felt like I might know you from somewhere, I'm telling you my senses are pretty strong sometimes. Seeker!! Of course it's you!

So glad you're back! :D

Edit: Well not glad that you're back due to issues, but glad to see you again, was what I meant. :)

ladyforsaken said:
Seeker_2.0 said:
ladyforsaken said:
Seeker_2.0 said:

OMG I JUST KNEW IT. I didn't see the relations but I see it now!

I had some sense or feeling when I saw you around and felt like I might know you from somewhere, I'm telling you my senses are pretty strong sometimes. Seeker!! Of course it's you!

So glad you're back! :D

Edit: Well not glad that you're back due to issues, but glad to see you again, was what I meant. :)

Haha, glad you remembered, only you got it backwards, I had problems and didn't want to return then, to avoid getting it out on the members here, but now my issues are gone and I felt ready to return. I'm fine so don't worry :)

Truth is, only you and Peaches remember me thus far but it's more than enough :)

Seeker_2.0 said:
Haha, glad you remembered, only you got it backwards, I had problems and didn't want to return then, to avoid getting it out on the members here, but now my issues are gone and I felt ready to return. I'm fine so don't worry :)

Truth is, only you and Peaches remember me thus far but it's more than enough :)

Ah! Glad that you're feeling better then. Welcome back, you!
Looking forward to seeing more of your posts around here. :)

ladyforsaken said:
Seeker_2.0 said:

Ah! Glad that you're feeling better then. Welcome back, you!
Looking forward to seeing more of your posts around here. :)

Well, I do have some catching up to do, with the new members especially, but other than that i'm trying to get active as much as I can again :)

First time alone for christmas. But it's not too sad because I personally dont celebrate these holidays for about 6 years now. Seems shallow. FINALLY I will be able to sleep all day not caring about.

Brody said:
First time alone for christmas. But it's not too sad because I personally dont celebrate these holidays for about 6 years now. Seems shallow. FINALLY I will be able to sleep all day not caring about.

Turns out none of my kin are visiting my parents Christmas day so now I have to. I envy you. I should have liked to have done a beef and ale stew, stuff myself silly, get drunk and watch Doctor Who and I would have been perfectly happy.

as an aside - when you have social phobia/anxiety like wot I do, and live in a village - the best thing about Christmas day is that all the f****** are in their houses and well away from me.

Solitary man said:
I can go for long periods by myself without feeling lonely, but have found that Xmas time is when loneliness can really creep in on you. Like me, do you live alone? If so, how do you deal with Xmas time? How do you get through it?

Christmas time is the worst for me.

I too live alone and most of the time just get by.

To night its 20:15 Christmas eve and I am struggling a bit with my own company. Tomorrow I will probably see my mum for an hour then ill be all alone again for Christmas day and most probably boxing day too.

I have no advice that would be useful to anyone but just poppet in to kill some time and to say your not alone in being alone.

Bluey said:
Solitary man said:
I can go for long periods by myself without feeling lonely, but have found that Xmas time is when loneliness can really creep in on you. Like me, do you live alone? If so, how do you deal with Xmas time? How do you get through it?

Christmas time is the worst for me.

I too live alone and most of the time just get by.

To night its 20:15 Christmas eve and I am struggling a bit with my own company. Tomorrow I will probably see my mum for an hour then ill be all alone again for Christmas day and most probably boxing day too.

I have no advice that would be useful to anyone but just poppet in to kill some time and to say your not alone in being alone.

I am with my parents and I have never been more alone.

Latest posts

Back