Assuming the Worst

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Despair

Not really sure if this is the best forum for this. Its more of a personal problem then a social one, but on some occasions it can become quite involving to others.

I have this terrible habit of assuming the worst and worrying about every little thing. It tends to happen when people do not do exactly what they say or when I'm expecting to hear from someone and I don't.

It starts small. I just try to get through my day and be positive, but it begins to eat away at me and by the end of the day I find myself anticipating the worst possible scenarios.

Logically, I know that it's foolish and that I'm most likely blowing things out of proportion, but it doesn't matter: regardless of what I know in my mind I still find myself feeling this way and then my mind runs away with me.

Worry can be a good thing sometimes. For instance, a general who is defending a fort on a hill must try to anticipate every possible course of action the enemy army will use to take it, and station traps and soldiers to prepare for it. In chess it is often a good idea to analyze the potential moves the opponent could make and where it will most likely need.

But for the most part worry and assuming the worst do nothing more then occupy my time with negative thoughts and feelings making those I care about uncomfortable or annoyed, especially if I tell them.

I want to think positive. I value that I care for the ones close to me, but I wish I could stop getting so worked up all the time.

Tonight was such a night for me. The night before I had been drunk when someone IMed me. Once they knew I was drunk I was told there were things they wanted to talk to me about, but felt it was a bad time to do so. This would seem to imply that it was something I would not like, and if hearing it while drunk could blow it way out of proportion.

Well this was fine. I feel asleep in a few hours and went through the day without giving it much thought. They were not online all day and could not be reached. By the time it was later at night it was clear I would not be hearing from them.

That evening I started to worry, and when it got late and I heard nothing at the usual time we talk I started assuming the worst. Now it is 4:39 am and I've imagined many of the disturbing things they might have to say. So instead of possibly feeling bad when I do find out if something is up, I have already made myself feel 10 times worse and cheated myself out of what might have been a good evening.

This is especially difficult and frustrating for me, because, at the moment I am attempting to explore the so called "law of attraction." The idea is to visualize and maintain positive feelings. It's kind of like putting on your bathing suit and walking about town until someone invites you into their swimming pool, but if on the other hand all I do is stay inside and feel sad because I don't have a pool I am sure to get more of the same results. Like attracts like and that sort of thing.

The point is positive thinking and imagining is more pleasurable and harmless even if it doesn't get me anything, but the scary part is that by constantly thinking and feeling negatively with worry and assuming the worst, I could find that the law is working against me and making this state of mind a reality.

Philosophy aside, I am simply tired of falling to pieces over nothing and annoying the people I am close to with paranoid delusions. I wish I could stop, but I can't seem to help myself. Every time I try to get away and do something the thoughts and feelings find a way to creep back in.

So here I am stating that I can't seem to help myself, looking for helpful wisdom from others, yet knowing that most likely anything anyone has to say will be sound and logical and I will agree with it in my mind, but it still won't change how I feel or stop my mind from wandering. Since that is likely the case I apologize for wasting your time.

Maybe writing this post and accepting this inevitable masochism will somehow make it more bearable in the days to come.

Hey Despair!
(gah i wish you had a more... i guess positive name for one, you are being a bit hard on yourself before you even begin talking :(

at any rate, i can totally understand what you mean, imagination has big eyes, and an even bigger desire to blow everything out of proportion. (it could totally be that the person is busy, and cannot be online yet, whether working or otherwise, and you are right, you are cheating yourself out of having a decent time :(

i guess that what to me, at some point - it just became clear that there is very little that anyone can say, or think about me that can really truly hurt me. the people that matter will give me a chance to correct mistakes, even if i make them, and will be around for me, and those who won't - must not be the right people for me.

another thing is i guess to be open about things - and if you are really worried about something - talking to the person about it can sometimes help, and if you feel that you cannot talk about it - i would try asking a question here about a specific situation, whether i am right to be worried, and what i should do. sometimes people can see a situation from the outside better than from inside, and give you advice :)

and i guess that if you can't do either - writing things down might help - what you are feeling and why. seeing things written down might give you some insight into what is ACTUALLY going on.

there are many reasons for why you feel this way, and i guess i would try to find them :)

(hugs)

i hope this helps even a tiny bit,

shade.

"i guess that what to me, at some point - it just became clear that there is very little that anyone can say, or think about me that can really truly hurt me. the people that matter will give me a chance to correct mistakes, even if i make them, and will be around for me, and those who won't - must not be the right people for me."

I found this to be helpful and comforting. When getting caught up in worry I tend to lose self esteem and forget that I matter in the least to anyone else. There have been many times that I've had something good and did or said something stupid and totally blew it for myself, and I have had to endure the death of several family members.

By walking on thin ice, and knowing what to say and when to say it, one can attract many associates and successful situations, but your real friends don't leave you when you're sad. Theres no point in even having friends if you can't be relaxed enough around them to be human. If a friendship can be broken so easily it only proves it was a weak bond to begin with.

PS. and yeah Im kinda outgrowing my "despair" avatar, or at least I hope. I think for now I'm just going to embrace the irony.

Despair said:
"i guess that what to me, at some point - it just became clear that there is very little that anyone can say, or think about me that can really truly hurt me. the people that matter will give me a chance to correct mistakes, even if i make them, and will be around for me, and those who won't - must not be the right people for me."

I found this to be helpful and comforting. When getting caught up in worry I tend to lose self esteem and forget that I matter in the least to anyone else. There have been many times that I've had something good and did or said something stupid and totally blew it for myself, and I have had to endure the death of several family members.

By walking on thin ice, and knowing what to say and when to say it, one can attract many associates and successful situations, but your real friends don't leave you when you're sad. Theres no point in even having friends if you can't be relaxed enough around them to be human. If a friendship can be broken so easily it only proves it was a weak bond to begin with.

PS. and yeah Im kinda outgrowing my "despair" avatar, or at least I hope. I think for now I'm just going to embrace the irony.

i am sorry to hear that you have been through some hard stuff :( i hope that you will learn from it, and will have better things come your way :)

and well, yes :) it is being proven to me as we speak, that real friends stick by you :D

(hug)

and well - i hope that you will find a more hopeful avatar :) it sounds like a good idea to me :)

Latest posts

Back