Having more energy than your friends?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MysteriousTelephone

Reaction score
So, this is a slightly unique one, but I can't be the only one.

I'm 31 now, with most of my friends being similar ages. I spent my 20s taking care of myself, eating reasonably healthy and exercising regularly. I also like to party on weekends. My friends did not, many are overweight and do not exercise. A few have had children, and generally grown out of the 'party' times when the weekends roll around.

We're now at the point where my friends all talk like they're 70. They're the same age as me, but all they can talk about is how they can't do things "like they used to", or not wanting to be out till 5AM because "we're not 19 anymore", when I just don't feel like that; mentally I've matured, but physically I feel twice the man I was at 20.

Every time I try to get something together, like paintball or zip-lining, obstacle courses, even club-nights, I just get a round of groans and instant refusals. It's a shame, I love them as people, but it saddens me that they've just allowed themselves to become like this, in a decade where most athletes have their peak years. I don't like to comment on anyone's weight or lifestyle, but I have tried to delicately broach the subject with some, they quickly shut it down and insist it's an age thing.

So for me, I still have energy to burn, I want to do physical things, but the people I love just no longer seem to have any desire for such. Guess I've got to be the weird older due hanging around twenty-somethings to find people who don't mind running around a little? It's not that I'm competitive, I just enjoy doing more physical things.

So, this is a slightly unique one, but I can't be the only one.

I'm 31 now, with most of my friends being similar ages. I spent my 20s taking care of myself, eating reasonably healthy and exercising regularly. I also like to party on weekends. My friends did not, many are overweight and do not exercise. A few have had children, and generally grown out of the 'party' times when the weekends roll around.

We're now at the point where my friends all talk like they're 70. They're the same age as me, but all they can talk about is how they can't do things "like they used to", or not wanting to be out till 5AM because "we're not 19 anymore", when I just don't feel like that; mentally I've matured, but physically I feel twice the man I was at 20.

Every time I try to get something together, like paintball or zip-lining, obstacle courses, even club-nights, I just get a round of groans and instant refusals. It's a shame, I love them as people, but it saddens me that they've just allowed themselves to become like this, in a decade where most athletes have their peak years. I don't like to comment on anyone's weight or lifestyle, but I have tried to delicately broach the subject with some, they quickly shut it down and insist it's an age thing.

So for me, I still have energy to burn, I want to do physical things, but the people I love just no longer seem to have any desire for such. Guess I've got to be the weird older due hanging around twenty-somethings to find people who don't mind running around a little? It's not that I'm competitive, I just enjoy doing more physical things.
Well done for taking care of yourself and not letting your friends take you down with them.

I know you care about your friends; you're an amazing person for - to put it bluntly - putting up with them. But it sounds to me like you have outgrown your social group and maybe need to find some other friends to hang out with that are more suited to your personality.

But that's just my opinion - i'm sure others will give you an alternative perspective.

Get with a different group. Find active people to have fun with that share your interests. There are lots of older people doing exciting things. These friends might get into things later, maybe. If they have kids, that could be one thing keeping them being as active as you.

Well done for taking care of yourself and not letting your friends take you down with them.

I know you care about your friends; you're an amazing person for - to put it bluntly - putting up with them. But it sounds to me like you have outgrown your social group and maybe need to find some other friends to hang out with that are more suited to your personality.

But that's just my opinion - i'm sure others will give you an alternative perspective.

We still get on personality-wise, I guess we've just prioritised different things? Some have prioritised their career, or starting a new family, and let their health & wellbeing take a backseat. Growing up ugly & unwanted, I've had to make my health & wellbeing take a front seat in an attempt to change my situation.

I can completely see from their point of view, they've matured and moved onto other things, and I'm still stuck in my 20s, which is fair, but at the same time I guess I just don't feel ready to slow down. I'm finding it difficult to reconcile that the people I love are growing distant from me.

people come in and out of our lives all the time. it's only a fortuitous occurrence that we're still close friends with someone we met in early school years. at least you have friends, which is more than some of us can claim.

Latest posts

Back