Biology of Loneliness? Can it be altered?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExploringLad

Reaction score
I really reaaallly hate feeling lonely so much of the time. It affects my ability to get stuff done because for a big chunk of time I'm just overwhelmed by the pain of loneliness. I've gotten to wondering, why do we need social contact so frequently? I know that every couple of hours during the day, I feel the urge to talk or have some type of extended social interaction. I hope science finds the loneliness gene and we can cure this problem. This probably won't be possible in my lifetime but it does get one dreaming...

On a related note, I've been wondering: how DO people who go through solitary confinement for days or even longer survive?! People stranded alone in a jungle somewhere or in solitary confinement in prison or the like? What techniques or strategies do they use to keep from going insane? Anyone have any answers......?

Yeah we all have experienced lonliness at some point of our lives and I guess all of us got on here when we googled "I'm lonely" or "lonliness".I'm still in highschool,but I've felt horribly lonely quite often.I found this sense of depression increased drastically when I was off school for about 4 months which was ofcourse a very long vaccation.During these months I rarely saw anybody.In fact,i think I had myself locked up and everynight was yet another lonely dark depressing one which I started finding a bitter-sweet experience and that freaked me out .That I was starting to enjoy my long lonely nights listening to music that was like "Screw the world" and drawing dark gothic things or fantasies.I guess it's just my tendancy to be desolate and solitary unless company was forced on me like it is when I have school.I hate crowds.I hate loud people.I hate parties.I hate all those things that teenagers die for.Because im a loner.....I thought I could survive without people,which I did for 4 months but ofcourse I started getting into a weird state of mind and once school started about 4 weeks ago I havent felt lonely for 1 single night.That proves to me I was wrong.Even people who enjoy being alone at times need human interaction.I just suck when I have too much free time on me, I need stuff to do or else I become emotionally unstable.

Ok ^^ that was alot.Dunno if u wanted to hear all that but that was how it was for me.And yeah it would be great if there was a new on the counter Lonliness Killer xD

ExploringLad said:
I really reaaallly hate feeling lonely so much of the time. It affects my ability to get stuff done because for a big chunk of time I'm just overwhelmed by the pain of loneliness. I've gotten to wondering, why do we need social contact so frequently? I know that every couple of hours during the day, I feel the urge to talk or have some type of extended social interaction. I hope science finds the loneliness gene and we can cure this problem. This probably won't be possible in my lifetime but it does get one dreaming...

On a related note, I've been wondering: how DO people who go through solitary confinement for days or even longer survive?! People stranded alone in a jungle somewhere or in solitary confinement in prison or the like? What techniques or strategies do they use to keep from going insane? Anyone have any answers......?

i d like to mention something to that tought if you will not mind. i just think its so interesting that a lot of people feel lonely in the world but somehow they never find an attraction to each other, you know in order to stop the loneliness, by completing each other. you are not alone by the way: i felt the same yesterday, and the day before that and mostly when i am on my 30 mn break and when i get off from work at 9 30pm. just looooonely. so hope to find an answer from this forum, this is viviana.

Enchantress said:
Yeah we all have experienced lonliness at some point of our lives and I guess all of us got on here when we googled "I'm lonely" or "lonliness".I'm still in highschool,but I've felt horribly lonely quite often.I found this sense of depression increased drastically when I was off school for about 4 months which was ofcourse a very long vaccation.During these months I rarely saw anybody.In fact,i think I had myself locked up and everynight was yet another lonely dark depressing one which I started finding a bitter-sweet experience and that freaked me out .That I was starting to enjoy my long lonely nights listening to music that was like "Screw the world" and drawing dark gothic things or fantasies.I guess it's just my tendancy to be desolate and solitary unless company was forced on me like it is when I have school.I hate crowds.I hate loud people.I hate parties.I hate all those things that teenagers die for.Because im a loner.....I thought I could survive without people,which I did for 4 months but ofcourse I started getting into a weird state of mind and once school started about 4 weeks ago I havent felt lonely for 1 single night.That proves to me I was wrong.Even people who enjoy being alone at times need human interaction.I just suck when I have too much free time on me, I need stuff to do or else I become emotionally unstable.

Ok ^^ that was alot.Dunno if u wanted to hear all that but that was how it was for me.And yeah it would be great if there was a new on the counter Lonliness Killer xD

Yeh, I've experimented with how far I can push the limits of my solitude as well and usually I can't go beyond a day or so without human interaction before starting to feel really miserable. The need for social interaction is a basic need much like air to breathe or water to drink, I don't think there's anyone who can really withstand prolonged isolation.

That's why I'm so curious about people who seem to be exceptions to this rule -- the ones who go ascetic for example and just venture into the wilderness to live in a cave and meditate all day long. Hehe, I've heard stories about that, but how do these people SURVIVE without any human contact for days and weeks on end?? And are they able to survive happily?! I'd love to hear any info on this

Get Down! said:
Science huh?
Have you heard of Brave new world or Equilibrium? :D

I'm ALL ABOUT science, can't wait till they start making strides in enhancing human thinking abilities, etc., sooo many people could benefit from this as long as it's used responsibly and ethically.

Brave New World was a great book, but it was very dark and pessimistic -- I prefer to focus on the positives that improved science and technology can bring us. My main interest is in the applications that are realistically available within the short-term (the next 5-10 years).

What's Equilibrium btw?

viviana said:
ExploringLad said:

i d like to mention something to that tought if you will not mind. i just think its so interesting that a lot of people feel lonely in the world but somehow they never find an attraction to each other, you know in order to stop the loneliness, by completing each other. you are not alone by the way: i felt the same yesterday, and the day before that and mostly when i am on my 30 mn break and when i get off from work at 9 30pm. just looooonely. so hope to find an answer from this forum, this is viviana.

You're right on target Viviana, it would seem natural that people who could mutually benefit from more socializing would reach out to each other! I think part of the difficulty is just the communication aspect -- social interaction face to face in real time can be challenging. That's part of the reason why I like the idea of this site so much, it serves as a support group of people and one can communicate at leisure without the demands of doing so in the immediacy of face to face.

What type of work do you do? I come across a lot of people at work and that keeps me from being lonely but the thing that bothers me most is dealing with long silences -- I get very uncomfortable with that, lol.

i actually needed some solitary time this weekend. i went to a hotel for two days and it was just me and my dog. it was so nice.

i could definitely be one of those people to go live in a cave somewhere and just be alone. i dont think it would bother me. only thing is i dont like bugs.

heretostay said:
i actually needed some solitary time this weekend. i went to a hotel for two days and it was just me and my dog. it was so nice.

i could definitely be one of those people to go live in a cave somewhere and just be alone. i dont think it would bother me. only thing is i dont like bugs.

LOL, the bugs being the obstacle I can relate to -- I actually have family in another country where they have the HUGEST cockroaches and when I was younger, I would be afraid to visit them because of that!

ExploringLad said:
Get Down! said:
Science huh?
Have you heard of Brave new world or Equilibrium? :D

I'm ALL ABOUT science, can't wait till they start making strides in enhancing human thinking abilities, etc., sooo many people could benefit from this as long as it's used responsibly and ethically.

Brave New World was a great book, but it was very dark and pessimistic -- I prefer to focus on the positives that improved science and technology can bring us. My main interest is in the applications that are realistically available within the short-term (the next 5-10 years).

What's Equilibrium btw?

It's a film with similar plot.

I think I'm afraid of science or any kind of progress related to human abilities. I don't think there's a possible way of using it wisely or responsibly because it's not in every human nature to be rational. Otherwise there would be no addicts around.

Latest posts

Back