Books to read?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

What are some books you have read, either recently or a long time ago, that you find have helped you socially?

We are all on this forum for a reason, but this doesn't mean progress is not happening. But if a book helped you, please list it down here for the rest of us to see.

Personally, although I have read self-help books in the past, they have usually been about inner conflict and time management. I would like to invest time in reading something concerning my current issue of loneliness.

By the way, have any of you read the game? If so, what did you think?

Well, I was going to pipe up with my normal spiel of fantasy novels and such. I can't say I've read any pertinent books on loneliness, but if you want something thought provoking to take your mind off of things and engage you, I highly recommend Herman Melville's Moby Dick. I like the Dover Giant Thrift edition. It's not abridged.

As for practical books, I think the best practical book I've read in recent times is 'The Richest Man in Babylon'. It's a very good book which teaches proper money management and principles of building wealth, but it's also an entertaining read as it's sort of in the form of a story. It's also short and sweet, so it's accessible.

ooo i'm reading the new dan brown book

the lost symbol it's quite good :)

dan brown is a great writter

harry potter of course

and oover the summer i got hooked on the house of night series

frankenstein is my favorite classic

and 13 reasons's why, girl interupted an i don't want to be crazy are my favs

:D

thats an easy one
Stephen kings "the dark tower" series. its long enough to keep you occupied for months and bad ass enough to keep you reading!
read it! now!

im about to start reading the stand, any one else read that??

Smack (Paperback)
by Melvin Burgess

and strangly sun tzu's the art of war
i think Sun tzu's book helped me more because u can use it to get threw anything all u have to do is change the word war too any word decribing your problem, for example The Art Of Love. -^_^

I can tell you of two books that deal with the idea of loneliness. It's now a syndicated cable show called Dexter. Believe it or not, the original book, "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" is an intriguing yet inciteful read. Jeff Lindsay portrays the inner sanctum of Dexter Morgan quite well. Blood spatter analyst by day, "justified" serial killer by night. The explanations of Dexter's emotions are incredible. He speaks of being alone in a crowded room, how the ass kissers are always the quickest up the corporate ladder. It definitely lets a person reflect their own morals and values into the read. Give it a shot. Also, Walden by Henry David Thoreau deals with his descent into a hermit and how he lives by himself for 3 years.

scarsacrossthesky said:
I can tell you of two books that deal with the idea of loneliness. It's now a syndicated cable show called Dexter. Believe it or not, the original book, "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" is an intriguing yet inciteful read. Jeff Lindsay portrays the inner sanctum of Dexter Morgan quite well. Blood spatter analyst by day, "justified" serial killer by night. The explanations of Dexter's emotions are incredible. He speaks of being alone in a crowded room, how the ass kissers are always the quickest up the corporate ladder. It definitely lets a person reflect their own morals and values into the read. Give it a shot. Also, Walden by Henry David Thoreau deals with his descent into a hermit and how he lives by himself for 3 years.

I think I'm going to have to read both of those, now. You've caught my attention.

Is the show 'Dexter' any good? I never paid any attention to it...

scarsacrossthesky said:

Wow thanks for those. I'm going to check them out too. Dexter (tv series) is great, but you make the book sound much better.

The Dexter series (4 books) is a fantastic read. Scarsacrossthesky gave a good review, I would only add that the books are littered with black humour that had me laughing out loud over and over again.

The TV series is excellent as well, Michael Hill (Six Feet Under) portrays Dexter flawlessly.

For practical, non-fiction reading I would suggest 'The Six Pillars of Self Esteem' by Nathaniel Brandon, for a western, psychological perspective. Alternatively, I would suggest reading about Eastern Philosophies (Buddhism).

For non-fiction I would recommend the classic three: 1984 - George Orwell; Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury (main character is a fireman Brian :)); Brave New World - Aldous Huxley.

Two of my favourite modern non-fiction books are, 'Blind Faith' by Ben Elton and 'The Wasp Factory' by Iain Banks.

All books deal with or have elements of the themes of social isolation and lonliness.

:)

1984 and Brave New World were excellent. I used to work at a sawmill, and when we went to the break room for lunch or our break I remember drawing a lot of parallels to 1984. I ended up re-reading the book because of it, lol.

Farenheit 451 is on my reading list, eventually.

Naval_Fluff said:
The Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix..or any of his books. That guy is genius on paper.

I remember when I read that ages ago! It was excellent! *goes of to find it*
Maybe I should check out other books by him.

a comforting book for loneliness is 'when things fall apart' by pema chodron. also,'it's easier than you think' by sylvia boorstein. both are about a buddhist approach.
also,'the highly sensitive person' by elaine aron gives good points about relationships and how they affect certain types of people.
and listen to the police's 'message in the bottle'.('i'm not the only one being alone.)

Latest posts

Back