Brother problems.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready RSG

Reaction score
me and my family and I are having problems with my younger brother. He's 18 years old and at the age where he won't listen to anybody he thinks he has everything under control and he has all the answers. He he goes out and parties all night steals things of value like jewelry and electronics. He drinks cough syrup in does pain killers. We've tried talking to him as a family but he treated like idiots. I am at a loss. It's funny I remember when he was still just a little runt begging me to teach him how to ride a bike.

Hi Ready RSG,

I am sorry to hear that you and your family are having problems with your younger brother. You have mentioned that your family have tried to talk to him. I am curious if this has been a one onto one discussion or as a group of family members at once. In the past as a youth worker, I have found that one will re-act defensively or tell family members, what they think is expected when confronted by more than one person. I have also found that some youths have problems that they are too ashamed to tell anyone. Some youths mask their problems by ruthless behaviour; a usual sign of this is a rapid behaviour changed in the youth. There are also some youths who think that they are indispensable and can do whatever they want. These youths usually require some tough love.

As I am in Australia, I realise there are many different culture upbringing's. I hope that I have not offended anyone with my reply.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Ugh, 18 year olds...I know one who thinks his honeysuckle don't stink and is one inconsiderate selfish little a-hole. Hopefully it's a phase he's going through, albeit a criminal one. If talking didn't help maybe some tougher love, if he's stealing from people maybe turn him in. A night in jail and repercussions might do some real good. Also what Amethyst said, some one on one discussion might do some good if you haven't tried that already. You are the older sibling here he might listen to you if he knows how disappointed you are in his behaviour. Or, worse comes to worse, what Punisher said, your parents should throw him out. All situations could go two ways though, it'll either scare him straight or make him plunge worse into his bad behaviour. That's an outcome you'll have to be prepared for too.

Im not sure what you can really do, but I will tell you this.
It's been my personal experience that a person won't make life changes until they are ready to make them. No amount of force is going to change that.

Throw him out and watch him come to his senses as he realizes that the world doesn't revolve around him and he actually can't survive on his own.

my mother thinks if she kicked him out someone will find him dead in a gutter somewhere.

Latest posts

Back