Can I get him to understand or am I being too selfish?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melly

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m new to the board so please bear with me if I waffle too much, I would really like your opinion.

I have always been a pessimist with low self esteem but never been depressed before until now. It started few months back with arguments with the boyfriend for silly reasons though sometimes I think I have a valid point but he just can’t see things from my point of view and only his view is correct.
I’ve always been lonely choosing to have few friends who are really there for me and vice versa and I tend to tell it like it is (and like to have the same done to me so I know where I stand) so people sometimes get pissed off with that. I have always been shy so find it difficult to chat to strangers and make new friends but have been working on it (I think it’s a confidence thing) and recently this has been much easier.
The boyfriend is a very outgoing person with zillions of friends, basically he admits it matters to him that everyone likes him, tho he does have a large group of very nice friends and at least dozen would put a hand into fire for him. As he wants to be liked he is naturally very friendly and outgoing having no problem at all to strike up a long, fun or meaningful (sometimes all three in one combo) with total strangers at parties etc.
Perhaps we are a living proof that opposites really do attract each other. Anyway it started as casual sx buddies over three years ago when I was breaking up from a marriage but over time we started to chat about common interest – movies – slowly discovered same taste and as we chatted I guess we learned about each other more, cuddles started to happen too, we went away for weekends few times and spent the odd night together then once I got separated we started to stay together at each others place a lot. It was easy going full of affection and eventually we fell for each other. So scratching my head as to how we ended up where we are now.
Anyway I have always felt that he is way out of my league being very good looking being tall and broad and handsome, lovely with all his friendliness, all the chicks are falling at him all the time. Its not that I’m not a stunner being slim tall long hair and pretty but I guess being very direct and shy are not attractive qualities. On the other hand on a good day I am very funny and witty which my friends love about me and he has put on huge amount of weight (basically lost most muscles and gained big stomach) after bad back problems. Yet I can not think of myself as worthy of him. And I think it comes from this: he is doing a lot of gaming a- on consoles on his own and b- role playing with friends which involves two nights every week without a fail and at least once per month a full weekend. When we started to officially be a couple two years ago he had given up a lot of console gaming to spend time with me. I have never had an issue with him also having the odd boys night out either so as time progressed he is going back to his console gaming more and I feel left out. I try to understand that its normal but then when he brings his console to mine and spends time on it with my housemate (our mutual best friend) I feel like all I do is cooking, cleaning, washing and occasionally satisfy his sx appetite. The sx life used to be really great but seems to have declined – not due to my depression. As you can imagine this causes lots of conflict and I am working really hard not to be narky about it and try to find some compromise. I had told him I was diagnosed clinically depressed and am trying to work through it, asked him to read a booklet from GP which I found helpful and try to sear him in direction of what I want as a support. For example last night he took me out for dinner and bought me a wii game (the only platform I am any good at playing and he takes no interest in it) to cheer me up. The plan was to go back to mine after and go straight to bed to carry on with the nice chilled mood and cuddle up. Yet when we got to mine he sat down in front of tv chatting to my housemate. I thought its fine for a bit to be social but then he put on a game as he wanted to show him something. I still thought ok this should be quick but once he showed him what he wanted he played another game and that’s when I got pissed off. I seem to be taking a sideline an awful lot and whilst CBT is helping me not to be too narky and jump down his throat the first instance a negative thought pops into my head I don’t feel he is making an effort to compromise on things. I told him I want us to spend good quality time just the two of us as its starting to feel like the housemate (only moved in with him a month ago) is taking part in too many things. Its not that I’m jeleous of him its that I feel the boyfriend is not paying me as much attention as he used to and we did agree that we need some quality time on our own.
So what is your opinion? Could he do more and try to meet me half way? I have tried to get him to read websites to just understand what I am going through, I even tried to give him examples of situations and the rubbish negative irrational thoughts that pop in my head and how I try to cope with them so that he can understand how some things cause me to feel. Am I asking too much? Am I being oversensitive? I feel like I would like the relationship to move on and us to be a bit closer and more open with each other, talking is very important to me but he seems to just relax more and do more of his stuff in my house which I don’t count as quality time with me just because I am in the next room reading a book.

sounds like a pretty typical situation. Not that it's not unique because it's yours. I'm not the best advice giver, but i bought a book a long time ago called "Men are from mars Women are from Venus... by John Gray M.D." I haven' read through it completely myself, but from what I read seems like it has a lot of valuable information.

A lot of times after a relationship progresses we have to pay attention to what doesn't get said and how we go about the process of give and take in the relationship.

What i know from experience...hmm...

I know sex gets boring unless you actively seek to keep it interesting and try new things.

Intimacy gets boring because once you know some one and are comfortable with them... there is nothing more to learn or anything new to expierence. Would you want to eat the same food every day for the rest of your life? Honestly I tend to be in your position and haven't completely figured out how an issue such as that gets resolved. I think it might just be the way I am and I can't really change it.

i mean what can you do?

well you could stop being selfish and try to include yourself and just try to join in what's he's doing and set your desire for intimacy aside. but you probably wouldn't "really" want to be doing it... so it would be fake and you wouldn't enjoy it and you'd just resent the fact anyway...

you could view situations like that as an opportunity to have time to yourself and be happy to enjoy a little free time away from him... but then again if your just thinking about the problem the whole time your not really enjoying yourself and your just going to fuel your resentment...

as far as your depression goes and wanting him to "understand"...

i don't think it's that you want him to "understand"... you want his support, care, and concern...

i mean unless he feels exactly the same as you do... he's not going to understand...

I don't feel i'd be the best advice giver for ya on this one though.

I suggest checking that book out though...

and as far as the depression crap goes... depression just isn't that big of a deal to me. I've delt with it... deal with it constantly, but i've experienced much worse things...

for me when i'm depressed... i'm glad... because at least i know that everything is ok... If i have time enough to sit around and feel crappy then i know things really arn't that bad. When things are bad for me I don't have time to sit around and think about it... i have to deal with the real problem...

so as far as your depression goes.... hey at least you have a boyfriend? that's a plus... remind yourself of that...
and i don't trust doctors psychology and psychiatry... it's not a science... never has been... and medication like it or not... is damaging long term... no mattter what med it is...

personally i've been getting into meditation. It's all about perception. and if you can sit and find your inner peace and calm... you can find the keys to the doors that need opening to give you new perspective on life. not as easy as taking a pill, but what good things in life are just given to us? you have to work to get what you want out of life...

Even still though I meditate, I still am generally depressed and apathetic, but that's also part of the conclusion and consuquence of the life i've made for myself. But at least I can meditate... take breaks from my stupid thoughts and their utter futillity... and enjoy what little i have left in life to enjoy while taking comfort in the fact that.... yeah I'm sad...depressed, but at least I can be... cuz it could be A LOT worse.

Good luck to you!

Sounds to me like there is boredom in your relationship. This happens when there is no tension between you two. He is comfortable with what you guys are and what to expect out of the relationship.

Time to mix it up. Find something simple, maybe ask him to help with a meal. Pack a picnic for the next time you both have a day off. Be sexy for him, throw on some lingerie and and be ready when he comes home.

Maybe this relationship has run its course. Maybe it is time to be only friends. Not every relationship will work out. Then again I am probably the last person you should take advice from. As I have no experience with relationships and am only repeating what I read when I was trying to get my ex back.

yesm said:
sounds like a pretty typical situation. Not that it's not unique because it's yours. I'm not the best advice giver, but i bought a book a long time ago called "Men are from mars Women are from Venus... by John Gray M.D." I haven' read through it completely myself, but from what I read seems like it has a lot of valuable information.

A lot of times after a relationship progresses we have to pay attention to what doesn't get said and how we go about the process of give and take in the relationship.

What i know from experience...hmm...

I know sex gets boring unless you actively seek to keep it interesting and try new things.

Intimacy gets boring because once you know some one and are comfortable with them... there is nothing more to learn or anything new to expierence. Would you want to eat the same food every day for the rest of your life? Honestly I tend to be in your position and haven't completely figured out how an issue such as that gets resolved. I think it might just be the way I am and I can't really change it.

i mean what can you do?

well you could stop being selfish and try to include yourself and just try to join in what's he's doing and set your desire for intimacy aside. but you probably wouldn't "really" want to be doing it... so it would be fake and you wouldn't enjoy it and you'd just resent the fact anyway...

you could view situations like that as an opportunity to have time to yourself and be happy to enjoy a little free time away from him... but then again if your just thinking about the problem the whole time your not really enjoying yourself and your just going to fuel your resentment...

as far as your depression goes and wanting him to "understand"...

i don't think it's that you want him to "understand"... you want his support, care, and concern...

i mean unless he feels exactly the same as you do... he's not going to understand...

I don't feel i'd be the best advice giver for ya on this one though.

I suggest checking that book out though...

and as far as the depression crap goes... depression just isn't that big of a deal to me. I've delt with it... deal with it constantly, but i've experienced much worse things...

for me when i'm depressed... i'm glad... because at least i know that everything is ok... If i have time enough to sit around and feel crappy then i know things really arn't that bad. When things are bad for me I don't have time to sit around and think about it... i have to deal with the real problem...

so as far as your depression goes.... hey at least you have a boyfriend? that's a plus... remind yourself of that...
and i don't trust doctors psychology and psychiatry... it's not a science... never has been... and medication like it or not... is damaging long term... no mattter what med it is...

personally i've been getting into meditation. It's all about perception. and if you can sit and find your inner peace and calm... you can find the keys to the doors that need opening to give you new perspective on life. not as easy as taking a pill, but what good things in life are just given to us? you have to work to get what you want out of life...

Even still though I meditate, I still am generally depressed and apathetic, but that's also part of the conclusion and consuquence of the life i've made for myself. But at least I can meditate... take breaks from my stupid thoughts and their utter futillity... and enjoy what little i have left in life to enjoy while taking comfort in the fact that.... yeah I'm sad...depressed, but at least I can be... cuz it could be A LOT worse.

Good luck to you!

Thanks for that. Yes I have read the Venus Mars book and whilst I agree with the general though I have never had to put any of its advise to use much. I have never been this overthinking, overanalysing and evercomplicating person. In fact I think that’s part of why I don’t have many girly friends and get on with boys so well I’ve always been rational and logical and almost one of the boys.

You are spot on with progressing relationships and give and take but herein lies the problem. What am I getting from him when even little bit of intimacy no longer happens. Have I turned into one of the boys who cooks and cleans whilst the others are playing? Hang on that sounds more like a mother.

Again spot on with the variety in a bedroom but again that was never an issue, we always experimented to make sure we don’t develope a routine and get bored so why has it suddenly stopped? I feel like I gave him too much space and he filled it with games where I was hoping he would wanna see me a bit. Hm, serves me right? And again intimacy gets boring you are right but you know I don’t feel like I know him as well as I could and vice versa. Every time I try to talk to him about things he tells me I’m creating an issue and an argument. I simply just wanna compare notes and see who feels how about different issues – its called a debate. He can spend so much time bebating things on social networks with his friends but that is ok them arguing their point is just called debating whereas mine are issues. How is that fair?

Do you know I have tried to include myself, not just to show him we can have great time including friends but I recognise that unless I drug my arse off the sofa and get active I have no chance in hell to shift the depression. In fact over the last 6 weeks we have spent each and every weekend doing stuff with friends. It was great but – and these were his words – it would be nice to have a quiet weekend and just be alone and have sex. Hello? As it panned out he is spending this weekend with the boys and I plan to get back on the horse of my hobbies and catch up with some chickflicks he will never want to see.

Yes I want him to support me and gimme TLC, but he tells me he does not understand hence not sure what to do. Is this a lost battle? I do a Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)online at My Mood Gym.. I thought it was loads of bull but I checked it out as I promised my GP (after dismissing meds) and it actually helps. In trying to help him understand I gave him an example of how a perfectly normal situation made me feel panicked but also how I dealt with it. I was hoping for well done for averting your own negative thoughts but I got told off for making issues out of nothing. Hello – I can’t help it. I really do want to which is why I stick with CBT and kick my own arse into keeping active.

CBT is a bit like a meditation I guess in reflecting on situations and thoughts and feelings and then finding different points of view on them so I’m glad to hear I might be doing something right. Problem is that him not willing to make an effort (that’s how I perceive it although he makes huge effort in trying to cheer me up with shopping) I am continuesly doubting if I am just too needy.

AFrozenSoul said:
Sounds to me like there is boredom in your relationship. This happens when there is no tension between you two. He is comfortable with what you guys are and what to expect out of the relationship.

Time to mix it up. Find something simple, maybe ask him to help with a meal. Pack a picnic for the next time you both have a day off. Be sexy for him, throw on some lingerie and and be ready when he comes home.

Maybe this relationship has run its course. Maybe it is time to be only friends. Not every relationship will work out. Then again I am probably the last person you should take advice from. As I have no experience with relationships and am only repeating what I read when I was trying to get my ex back.

You are right it sounds like a boredom but I dont understand why. I am starting to think of him as a selfish prick and that is no good. We do not hav any future plans as he is massively comitment phobe - so he tells me. Yet he commits to his friends twice a week to play games. Isn't that funny? He tells me he was badly hurt by his exes and I can sympathise but then feel like I am being punished for other peoples bad doing. When I ask him if I am the same as his exes he tells me I am by far the coolest girlfriend ever. I'm starting to think in trying not to be needed I gave him too much freedom? Should I have made him chase me more?

Part of the problem is that I am a carer, that what I do in life. With my family, firends, I take care of people when they are sad or down and now dont' get the same back from the one person I really need it from. Believe me I have made so much effort to look great for him. I consider myself out of his league so I always try my very best. How about the other night: I tried spontanious so went to the bedroom asked him what colour (chose naughty underwear of that one he chose) and never told him what for just told him to make sure he is in bedroom in an hour. I thought I will let him guessing for a bit as he loves intrigue and teasing and them we can have early night. Guess what he was doing an hour later - try gaming with my housemate.

Am I doing it wrong? It scares me but you might be right that if this can not work it should not stress me any more.

Well I can say a commitment to friends is always easier than a commitment to lovers. Friends are much easier to please.

I think the problem is him not you. Had I been you, I would have locked him out of the room. That way I would know he/she is back. Then I would have slept on the couch or hell the floor in the living room. Maybe it is time to call him out.

I think he knows how you feel, about being out of his league. So he can comfortably neglect you and know he will not miss anything. There are many paths you can take. However, I do not see this relationship continuing. I honestly believe it would be in your best interest to end the relationship.

Now it is time for you to decide. What would be worse, being his toy for when his libido rises, or being single? This is the hard choice. I believe you should leave him. Focus on yourself a bit. Get back your self-esteem, and find another man. :p you have entered the big leagues now. You got a man like him and you can do it again. Then again, my whole lack of regular relationships makes it hard for me to have any credibility in these matters.

Thank you for replying. I'm actually glad i got replies from men, I worried that women would run to my rescue and only see it from woman's point of view.

I thought about this a lot over the weekend and have come to some conclusions, not sure if they will resolve anything or not but I am willing to give it a shot. Please feel free to read my next post where I detail what and how I concluded and what to do next as I'm interested in opinions whether this is the right way or not.

Latest posts

Back