can the internet satisfy your social needs?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though the internet is a nice way to meet and talk with people far away, I feel that a real group of friends is necessary for a healthy life. If the only human contact we have is with our family, then we eventually get rusty in our social skills. Also, if we go for too long like that, meeting new people could potentially start being viewed as an anxious, uncomfortable experience, ultimately resulting in even more loneliness.

I don't think anything can really ever replace having someone physically next to you. There's just something about being able to see their facial expressions and body language while they're talking to you; you can't get that from online friends. You could probably use a webcam, but I don't really feel like that's the same thing. Plus, I think being around a person is better for receiving emotional support; a simple touch can sometimes convey more meaning and emotion than any amount of words ever could.

I think it's also important to spend some time around the opposite sex. Even if you're not romantically interested in the person, just being around them feels good. Also, being able to feel physically comfortable around them helps out when you do manage to meet someone you're attracted to.

Internet friendships can be a great addition to a real life social network, but I don't think it should ever be used to substitute one.

Blak,

I guess it just depends on how we view our internet friends. I have some very good friends online in whom I confide regularly. In a way, I trust them more than I do coworkers and others with whom I associate regularly in "real life". That being said, perhaps part of the reason I am able to connect with others online and share sometimes intimate details is because of the internet buffer, so to speak. I'm not too worried if someone on here learns too much about me, because it's not like their opinion of me has a direct bearing on how my day goes. For instance, if one of my coworkers knew how depressed I get every now and then, it could potentially ruin my work environment.

You are right, though, in that we need to have friends. Perhaps not "troops of friends" as MacBeth desired, but at least a circle of trusted people with whom we pass the time.

A4S

Well, armor4sleepPA, I'm a firm believer of doing whatever makes you happy, regardless of what others might think. If you find that an online social network is more fulfilling than a real one, then keep doing your thing. I'm happy for you, and I don't think any less of you for doing it.

I think having a physical social life is important, but that's just me. I enjoy the physical closeness of others too much to try and go on without it. You're absolutely right, though, in that online relationships can pose a smaller risk to your day-to-day life. However, I still feel that being able to develop a real, close bond with those around you has many benefits, both for practicality and health reasons. For instance, if something happens to you (e.g., you get into a serious accident), it helps having friends who can watch after your things for you or come to the hospital to provide social support.

Blak, I seem to have come across wrong; I wasn't saying you were wrong at all. In fact, I find that I have a healthy balance of online friends and real world friends. I just wanted to point out that it can be beneficial for some people to have both, rather than solely real world. Sorry if you felt I was attacking your point of view; I was reinforcing it while adding validity to the opposing argument.

Regards,
A4S

Oh, don't worry armor4sleepPA... I didn't get the impression that you were attacking me at all. :) I don't ever think that unless someone outright accuses me of being wrong. If I came off as being defensive, then I think I should be the one apologizing, not you.

There was a mistake on my part, though; I misinterpreted your post as supporting the use of a primarily online social network, instead of adding onto what I was saying. I should have taken the time to read what you had to say more closely.

In the end its all fake, or at least it has been to me. Internet helps, but real life is more important. If you can make internet friends spill over to real life, more power to you.

On some levels, hai, but not all levels.
I don't have friends who are into videogames, but I can talk about them with people at a forum like this and be thoroughly satisfied. For multiplayer gaming, the online medium is strong and is getting stronger.

Online dating is something I haven't been interested in, and although I sometimes feel like I'm just DYING to find someone to love and who'd love me in return, online dating remains unappealing to me. I don't think it will ever satisfy me.

Just a couple of examples! :)

It can't replace 'real life', but if there's nothing much in 'real life', its the next best thing. I have met some nice people online and I think for meeting like-minds its still my best option, but I don't think I can form a close friendship etc without also seeing the people offline.

No, i dont think its enough to satisfy but cause of the internet i met people i would never ever!!!! meet in my real life. People from other countries, culture, social status? (i dont know how to say that in english, sorry), age, etc. One of my friends would make me turn around and start running and another one i would never talk twice. I would never know that i would have something in common to them. One of them i already met and thats the cool part of this new "social life". We meet people, we make new friends and, the good ones, can easily become "real life" friends. Btw, like kyle (the one that would make me run, scared) likes to say, internet friends (not just dudes), are real friends, we are just far from the other (duh!). Its like talking on the phone... Btw, theres nothing better than go meet someone that you already know sooo pretty well and you feel so confortable with and all of that so, if you can do that, just wait the next vacation and go see them or invite them to your house.

no. i have about 70,000 friends on myspace. it doesnt satisfy me. i feel totally empty and dead inside.

i think the amount of myspace friends i have, is to somewhat overcompensate for how little REAL friends i have.

Luna said:
No, i dont think its enough to satisfy but cause of the internet i met people i would never ever!!!! meet in my real life. People from other countries, culture, social status? (i dont know how to say that in english, sorry), age, etc. One of my friends would make me turn around and start running and another one i would never talk twice. I would never know that i would have something in common to them. One of them i already met and thats the cool part of this new "social life". We meet people, we make new friends and, the good ones, can easily become "real life" friends. Btw, like kyle (the one that would make me run, scared) likes to say, internet friends (not just dudes), are real friends, we are just far from the other (duh!). Its like talking on the phone... Btw, theres nothing better than go meet someone that you already know sooo pretty well and you feel so confortable with and all of that so, if you can do that, just wait the next vacation and go see them or invite them to your house.

This is tough.. but I would say yes to a certain extent..If you have developed some friendships with people on the net then yes..but I think still face to face contact is best.. I've met quite a few people from the net..and it seems like now in retrospect they all had something they wanted to keep hidden.. could have just been a bad pick, but eventually their true side comes out in real life and it can be very very hard to talk to someone and connect emotionally when we were once safe and hidden behind this screen.. It's a coin toss really.

Some of the best friends I've ever had have been online friends. It's good because you actually have stuff in common with them. Like, I probably have a lot more in common with everyone on this site than with the people at my school. The friends I find online are more... "fitting" for me. I'm so thankful for them. They actually talk to me! I used to feel lonely all the time, but now, hardly ever-- basically never. They filled the space inside me. It's good, because now I feel... 'satisfied'. But, at the same time, I'm worried that this satisfaction will prevent me from going out and making friends in real life. And we need friends in real life... who am I going to go shopping with? Who will I celebrate my birthday with? I could do it online, but then I'd never leave the house! I already don't, but still. I hope to leave it one day.

While there are some really great people that i value highly, that i only know through the internet, if i was to ever actually satisfy my social needs it would require at least a small amount of some form of face to face contact.

DemonsInside, what an awsome avatar,piece of art. where do u get them? I'll need this one for a different forum maybe when ur done :)

Latest posts

Back