Can you spot other lonely people ?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

putter65

Reaction score
Working in retail, I can spot them. Some chat to me that much, I can tell it's probably the only conversation they have all day !

It's sad and talking to customers is the best part of my job and something I enjoy very much. I remember little titbits of information about each person so I can bring it up when I talk to them. I work in a small shop. Large supermarkets you don't get the staff / customer interactions as much !

I served this woman today. I do feel sorry for her. Ive never seen her with anybody else or talk to anybody. She walks in, buys wine usually and then goes. I often wonder what her life is like and if she is as lonely as she looks. I served her today and asked her how she was. She said she was 'surviving' - she smiled though and I could tell she enjoyed my question and the attention.

Of course being a bit lonely and shy myself I do feel drawn to her.

So questions; how do you feel about other lonely / shy people ?
And 'do you come across people worse off than you ?'

And 'are lonely people compatable ?'

Cheers !

I believe so. Quite often they are walking with their heads down, there's just a certain way about them that gives me a vibe for lack of a better word. They just don't have that glow, but this is just me talking. I can't speak for other members.

I'm seem to have tunnel vision, I wouldn't notice a bomb going off of it happened out of my field of view much less notice the tellatale traits of a lonely individual.

I am usually at the mall on weekends by myself. I would be at the clothing section or at the coffee shop. I would envy couples hanging out together. The question, I always ask myself is when is it my turn.

27_guy_ said:
I would envy couples hanging out together. The question, I always ask myself is when is it my turn.

I feel the same way when I'm out of the trail and see a couple hiking together or walking holding hands.

So does anyone go out of their way to talk to these lonely individuals? I am trying to do this in my life at the moment.

There's a girl at a shop nearby work, I go there almost every day. The cashier there looks like the shy/inhibited girl and I try to strike up a comment or short conversation virtually every time, but I do get ignored and no eye contact every time. I guess the next course of action would be to wave my hands like a madman "HELLLOOOO I AM HEREEEEEE" :D

sure....everytime I go to a bar and they didnt put the sign outside " Sauage Fest night".
Which is every night depending where you live......

There's 25 dudes and only 2 chicks in the bar. 1 ugly and the other Old.
They're both the bartenders..hahahahaaaa

Might be a stupid thing to say but sometimes when I see people walking/sitting alone I can kind of tell who is alone because they are shy/lonely and who is just alone at that time. I suppose we don't really know people and how they are actually feeling so it can be hard to tell.

I wouldn't describe myself as a completely shy person all the time, I do have people to hang out with and talk to but I guess the wall I keep up with real life friends sometimes leaves me feeling lonely. So basically if I see someone standing about and I'm standing about I try to say hello or ask a general question just to make conversation. Saying that, there are a few people I see around campus that I feel are lonely people and would love to randomly just start chatting but I think I might be thought of as a creep.

putter65 said:
It's sad and talking to customers is the best part of my job and something I enjoy very much. I remember little titbits of information about each person so I can bring it up when I talk to them. I work in a small shop. Large supermarkets you don't get the staff / customer interactions as much !

I think that's nice and friendly and by doing so, I'm sure sometimes you make their day. I love when people working in stores are friendly or actually pretend like they care about their job and the people they are serving/helping.

switch said:
Might be a stupid thing to say but sometimes when I see people walking/sitting alone I can kind of tell who is alone because they are shy/lonely and who is just alone at that time. I suppose we don't really know people and how they are actually feeling so it can be hard to tell.

I wouldn't describe myself as a completely shy person all the time, I do have people to hang out with and talk to but I guess the wall I keep up with real life friends sometimes leaves me feeling lonely. So basically if I see someone standing about and I'm standing about I try to say hello or ask a general question just to make conversation. Saying that, there are a few people I see around campus that I feel are lonely people and would love to randomly just start chatting but I think I might be thought of as a creep.

putter65 said:

I think that's nice and friendly and by doing so, I'm sure sometimes you make their day. I love when people working in stores are friendly or actually pretend like they care about their job and the people they are serving/helping.

This old woman who comes in, she can hardly walk and she has said it's the only place she goes. So every day she walks to the shops and that's her day. I notice she walks around the shop for a long time, going down each isle many times. This fellow worker complained about her. I said she is probably walking around waiting for someone to talk to her. I always say 'hi' to her and ask her if she is okay.

27_guy_ said:
I am usually at the mall on weekends by myself. I would be at the clothing section or at the coffee shop. I would envy couples hanging out together. The question, I always ask myself is when is it my turn.

I asked that myself for about 20 years.

perfanoff said:
There's a girl at a shop nearby work, I go there almost every day. The cashier there looks like the shy/inhibited girl and I try to strike up a comment or short conversation virtually every time, but I do get ignored and no eye contact every time. I guess the next course of action would be to wave my hands like a madman "HELLLOOOO I AM HEREEEEEE" :D

The cashier ignores you ?

We are told time and time to speak to customers. We get mystery shoppers come in and mark us. Our bonus is based on these reports.

I'm actually really embarrassed about my loneliness, and I am terrified that people see right through my facade. On the lonely eye's comment: this is why I wear sunglasses a lot. I think I don't give off "lonely", I just really make people think of Corey Hart.

putter65 said:
switch said:

putter65 said:

This old woman who comes in, she can hardly walk and she has said it's the only place she goes. So every day she walks to the shops and that's her day. I notice she walks around the shop for a long time, going down each isle many times. This fellow worker complained about her. I said she is probably walking around waiting for someone to talk to her. I always say 'hi' to her and ask her if she is okay.

27_guy_ said:

perfanoff said:

We are told time and time to speak to customers. We get mystery shoppers come in and mark us. Our bonus is based on these reports.

Well, firstly I am in Bulgaria, I seriously doubt the business models are that developed and she can get a bonus depending on her friendliness/performance.

It's not that she IGNORES me, she does say goodbye every time, it's just not about the actual chatting thing, lol!

Sarah_Lbnz said:
I'm actually really embarrassed about my loneliness, and I am terrified that people see right through my facade. On the lonely eye's comment: this is why I wear sunglasses a lot. I think I don't give off "lonely", I just really make people think of Corey Hart.

The embedding link isn't working....

perfanoff said:
putter65 said:
switch said:

putter65 said:

27_guy_ said:

perfanoff said:

Well, firstly I am in Bulgaria, I seriously doubt the business models are that developed and she can get a bonus depending on her friendliness/performance.

It's not that she IGNORES me, she does say goodbye every time, it's just not about the actual chatting thing, lol!

oh I would give up and try chatting up somebody else !

The title of this thread made me lol becasue it reminded me of the special ability that some homosexual persons claim to have to recognize otheres who have thier same sexual orientation...

So loners can recognize other loners? I think so. It has happened to me. I wouldn't know if is something anyone notices tough...

Big difference between being lonely and being a loner.. they're more being exclusive than being the same thing lol.

people usually can reconize when Im feeling really lonely or down an out, even when I try to hide it. I guess they can tell from my blank, sometimes depressed facial expressions. and usually when im at work one of the guys will ask me whats wrong or say cheer up man. and sometimes I may snap out of it or it may make me feel worse. But usually im way to embarased to admit to anyone im lonely, even my own family.

Yeah just by looking in their eyes but I don't go up to make conversation with them simply cause I know they'll get freaked out. But I do nod my head at them or smile if they glance over.

Latest posts

Back