Can't stand pictures of myself

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The selfie trend stubbornly seems to be sticking around. I, too, feel uncomfortable smiling in pictures that I try to pose for because it feels so made up...unless I am genuinely happy at the moment. And I always feel weird trying to take photos of myself while trying to smile.

I've looked at group photos from my past and noticed the variety of expressions people tend to have. Not everyone smiles and flashes all their teeth. Some people smirk or simply gaze at the camera. You do you.

I can't stand photos of myself either. I think I look better in the mirror, lol. I never take photos of myself, maybe only twice in a year, because I don't feel attractive or comfortable at all front of the camera.

For example...

Looking to mirror: ''I look pretty today!''
Looking a photo: ''Eww, so ugly!''

=.=

I took selfies in the 90s and then again last summer ... ooh it was painful!

Now that I am older I feel like whatever good looks I may have had in my 20s / 30s / 40s are swirling down the daily drain of life.

I already know what I will look like in any photo. I don't know how it works, but I always look exactly the same, no matter what lighting, clothing, hairstyle. I don't like how I look in photos, so I just tell myself, I look better in real life, in action. I've noticed that alot of people do.

I'm not a bad looks no chap, slightly overweight and bad but I take a seriously bad picture for some reason. I rarely get my photo taken but all the best pics are ones I didn't know where being taken at the time!

Nice But Dim Jim said:
I rarely get my photo taken but all the best pics are ones I didn't know where being taken at the time!

I think a lot of people are like that. You are more "real" when you don't know it's being taken, so you aren't posing or trying your best to get a decent pic of yourself.

I think selfies have been a good thing. You see selfies and you can see happy, smiling people who are NOT Hollywood celebs, but you can see the spark and joy of life in their eyes and smile. Let go and let yourself have fun. That will come through. No need for makeovers or any of that.
And, spend some looking in a mirror at your own face and appreciate yourself!

Nice But Dim Jim said:
I'm not a bad looks no chap, slightly overweight and bad but I take a seriously bad picture for some reason. I rarely get my photo taken but all the best pics are ones I didn't know where being taken at the time!
My sister inlaw is always trying to take my picture at family functions
99.9% of them she captures my middle finger LOL

Oldyoung said:
I think I look average. But still I don't stand pictures of myself. I like being invisible. And pictures are proof I am not.

Also, I hate posing for pictures. I never know how to smile. I make the most awkward grimaces ever.

And sadly it seems the selfie trend will never end.

- Look average? Great!. There are a lot of ugly people outside. You look better than they.
- If you don't know how to smile, don't smile. Easy rule.
- Trends are for the majority. Just ignore trends. I have no selfie done yet and still live.

BadGuy said:
Never made babies cry ( maybe once or twice) but I have never had to worry about the ladies beating my door down

That doesn't mean you're ugly, though.

Latest posts

Back