Celebrity Suicide

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're committing suicide then you're clearly not happy. Whatever your definition of happiness and whatever you believe it's source to be. If you're suicidal then happiness is not present. Full stop.

Scotsman said:
If you're committing suicide then you're clearly not happy. Whatever your definition of happiness and whatever you believe it's source to be. If you're suicidal then happiness is not present. Full stop.

I do agree with you, sir. I simply want to learn the viewpoint of others, so that i can perhaps learn from them. :)

-Sai- said:
Walley said:
happy or not, it all has nothing to do with it when we get right down to the core imho.

This is what i was getting at, except for that i think that right down to the core, those people might not be happy. As you say, those kids/families/job/wealth don't matter when you get to the core. What i see in that, is that one can be unhappy even when one appears to have all, since they cover up alot. I don't see happiness as something that is gained from material things, as your explanation seems to suggest.

However, i have the feeling that that is not what you mean to imply, and merely my inability to understand. May i ask what your definition of happiness is? Maybe our definitions differ.

Also, it is most certainly not that i am without experience either. Evidently, different people learn different things from experiences that are roughly alike.

I personally find the cause you seem to imply, namely "psychological issues" to be very vague. And again, this is most likely my own inability to interpret information in the way it is presented.

May i ask you one more thing? Have you ever seen a person commit suicide while they were truly happy? And i'm not talking about having the materialistic stuff, but truly happy?

I'm looking forward to your reply and answer to that question, so that i can learn from your experiences.

i'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing.. but you made me have to sit and think about how to respond lol.
to answer your first question (and the most difficult) I guess my interpretation of happiness would be basically a synonym for contentment. someone that is happy is someone who is not feeling tortured or miserable in their lives.
I don't consider suicide a rational thing. it's not something that people who are thinking clearly do, for any reason based in reality. and therefore it's not connected to any real reasoning or based on anyones particular life situation.
for me personally, you would find me living in a ditch alone and crippled with everyone in the world hating me, and I would STILL not consider suicide.
where as others tend to accept it more and have a tendency for it. whether it's in the genes or the upbringing, who knows.
as it was for one of my old friends that did it, he always seemed to have inside him. I remember friends saying he had a death wish many years before it ever happened, just because he seemed to take risks and was a moody type personality.

which leads me to your next question.
Have you ever seen a person commit suicide while they were truly happy?
that answer to that would be, yes.
one of my friends that I was referring to,(not the one mentioned above btw) who jumped his car off of a dead end road and into the lake one night, was at the time doing well. he had recently gotten married, had material gains and by all descriptions he was happy and content.
he had suffered depression and anxiety in the past (mostly based on real drama in his life) but it was all behind him and things were looking up, and the last time I saw him I even noticed that he was all smiles and had a positive outlook.
why did he kill himself?
to me, there is NEVER a good reason.. but what happened to him was a result of taking anti-depressant medication and alcohol. (he went out to play pool and have a few drinks, and had a few too many. then on his way home he went straight instead of making the turn in what was probably a quick and weak passing moment.)
so for him, it wasn't about happiness or anything like that. it was a psychotic episode brought on by drugs and a tendency for it combined.

-Sai- said:
Scotsman said:

I do agree with you, sir. I simply want to learn the viewpoint of others, so that i can perhaps learn from them. :)

I know what you mean, Sai. Makes sense. Cheers for the rep my friend. The accompanying comments are maybe not so accurate. I'm a pussycat, me ;)

Scotsman said:
I know what you mean, Sai. Makes sense. Cheers for the rep my friend. The accompanying comments are maybe not so accurate. I'm a pussycat, me ;)

It's how i feel about you, already during my time as Rosebolt, as well. A real man.

-Sai- said:
Scotsman said:

It's how i feel about you, already during my time as Rosebolt, as well. A real man.

A real man is little more than an idea. I'm no different from any other.

African_weasel said:
If money was the key to happiness that would happen less often

Actually, the world population would decline by about 20% in a couple of days.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Money really doesn't buy happiness.

money-cant-buy-me-happiness.png

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Money really doesn't buy happiness.

Maybe so, but for most of us, it's a hell of a lot harder to be happy when you're broke. I agree that luxuries aren't the key to happiness--frankly I don't think there is such a thing. But how many people without shelter & three squares a day are happy? In such conditions, suicide is understandable.

A lot of unhappiness I see in people seems to come from expecting too much from life or feeling entitled to certain things.

Latest posts

Back