Cell phone network down 😲

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarDust

Life is a journey, not a destination 😉
Reaction score
Many Canadians woke to find out thier Roger internet and cell network is down.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-outage-cell-mobile-wifi-1.6514373
My cell network is down 😠 - nonfunctional. Thankfully my internet provider is a different company that has no network issues. First lesson for today: it is good not to have all your eggs in the same basket.... being, it is good that I dont have my cell and internet service with same company.

Roger's and Shaw Communications are in process of a merger. Two very large communications company. With this ongoing network outage with Roger's, we need to better examine the risks.... Would both Roger's and Shaw eventually merge and share same network? 🤔 thus exposing more users to a single network failure! 🤨

I barely use my phone for actual phone calls, mostly internet and texting. I am able to text many of the people thru FB messenger as my internet remains online. So why is I have this growing anxiety about the cell device being down? 🙄

Many Canadians woke to find out thier Roger internet and cell network is down.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-outage-cell-mobile-wifi-1.6514373
My cell network is down 😠 - nonfunctional. Thankfully my internet provider is a different company that has no network issues. First lesson for today: it is good not to have all your eggs in the same basket.... being, it is good that I dont have my cell and internet service with same company.

Roger's and Shaw Communications are in process of a merger. Two very large communications company. With this ongoing network outage with Roger's, we need to better examine the risks.... Would both Roger's and Shaw eventually merge and share same network? 🤔 thus exposing more users to a single network failure! 🤨

I barely use my phone for actual phone calls, mostly internet and texting. I am able to text many of the people thru FB messenger as my internet remains online. So why is I have this growing anxiety about the cell device being down? 🙄
I don't even own a cellphone. And all our services are through Telus - internet, phone, cable TV.

The network outage is more than just cell service though. It's impacting everything - debit, e-transfers, 911 service, etc, etc. Scary how interconnected we are these days, eh? One little glitch and we're basically fresia(ed) and at a standstill. I'm in B.C. and all the stores are reporting no debit service.

Cash is King once again 💰💵

Attachments

• atm-halifax.jpg
    atm-halifax.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 3
TMobile, atleast in the US, turned off it's 3G service on July 1st. I thought I was fine because my older phone is 4G LTE. I use it for my phone and tether it to my laptop for Internet usage. It's the only connection I have. Well, I realized on June 20th or so that my phone wouldn't work. But, nobody could tell me how it wouldn't work. So, I quickly bought a POS 4G LTE with VoLTE for phone calls.

It turns out that my 4G LTE phone data still works and I can receive text messages. But, I can not send text messages and I can not make or recieve phone calls. The crap 4G LTE with VoLTE works on everything. But, I can not tether it to my laptop and there is no wifi capabilities at all. So, I can not share the Internet. Instead, I have to use my old phone most of the time. When I have to send a text or make a phone call I have to switch the SIM card from the older phone to the newer phone. The nice thing is I rarely need to do that. :)

I read that 4G LTE will be around for maybe another decade. But, I spoke to a tech at TMobile who said they want to move to 5G only in the next couple years. But, I don't see that happening as 5G requires way more cell sites because the waves don't travel as far.

In the next few years I might ditch the cell phone altogether and just use Starlink sattelite for everything because it is unlimited. So, I could use it while camping to watch TV, use the Internet, or whatever. The bad thing is you have to be within 200 miles of a ground based relay station, which really sucks. Also I think mountains may significantly reduce that distance.

Hmmmmm. Things sure have gotten complicated. Ha! ha!

Latest posts

Back