Clueless as to my future, disappointed with the present.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Needles

Reaction score
First of all, I'm sure most of us are unhappy with the way our lives are in the present. But I'd like to keep this discussion in terms of school or work, whichever you are doing at the moment.

Ever since I got out of high school in 2005, I have been dreading school more and more each day. I find college work to be identical to the work I did in high school just with longer page requirements and tougher grading. I don't find the work to be challenging at all in the sense that I don't have to use any part of my brain except the part that memorizes and regurgitates information given to me by 80 year old monotone speakers who seem to despise the topic they are teaching. I can't bring myself to put in enough memorization effort to obtain anything higher than a B, though. I find this work I do each day incredibly tedious and monotonous to the point of me not even caring if I pass or fail. If it weren't for the fact that I don't want to work as a cashier for the rest of my life, I don't know if I would be sitting in this dorm room bullshitting Aristotle's teachings of virtue to get a B in a class where I learn information that is valid for the three months I'm here and then meaningless for the rest of my life.

I find my major completely uninteresting after just the first 2 semesters and I find my field in general to be something that I despise now (political science). I only have 1 semester left, but I feel as though it has all been a worthless experience in which the only benefit I have received is a slightly higher IQ and a piece of paper saying I did bullshit work for the last 4 years that qualifies me for jobs. I have no interest in working in anything related to politics or government anymore. I have no interest in having a career in anything, really. I turn on the TV or read the news and all I feel is anger and sadness for how everything is turning out all around the world. I feel as though I will be stuck in some shitty job anyway, even though I went to college to escape that fate.

I've had ample time to decide a career, or at least a field that I would like to work in after school, yet I have no desire to work in any field that I have thought of thus far. I think after all this time I've had to think about it and all the new worthless information I've learned, I actually dislike more fields than when I started college. Every time I see someone in a suit it pisses me off. Every time I see how much of an ******* a boss is it pisses me off. Every time I see how dreary and depressed everyone looks after coming home from work it pisses me off. I don't want to be a part of it yet I have no choice but to get a job, and pay taxes to the retarded government. Then, for the last 10 years of my life, poop myself during the night, pee in a plastic cup hanging from my walker, eat mushy food and sit lazily and stare at a TV screen full of people and shows that piss me off. That seems to pretty much be the plan for everyone's life. Is there any real way out of that? Even if you find a job you love, you still ultimately end up in the same place.

Do you ever really accomplish anything? Does anything you do actually matter? Is anything you do unique? Can it not be done by anyone else? Even if you accomplish something in a job, does anyone really appreciate it? I've seen stories of a woman who saved her bosses life and he fired her a week later. Surely he appreciated her, right? I don't want to experience this honeysuckle. I don't want a ******* career where all I do is meaningless work to make a profit. It's a retarded circle of meaningless honeysuckle. It seems to me that regardless of your job, you still end up completing the same cycle. So far my only shining light in the dark sky has been working for an organization like the Peace Corps. But even then, if I do that for most of my life, where am I going to get the money to support myself when I'm too old to do the job? I won't have it. Which means I can only do something enjoyable (if I find that something) for a couple of years before I am forced into some honeysuckle position just to make sure I'll have enough money to live in a nice nursing home that smells like moth balls and dirty sheets while I wither away.

The present seems shitty and the future seems shittier.

Depressed as a start button I guess. Not really sure what to do or what careers to look at. There's not really a question in here either, but feel free to discuss the topic and how you feel about it. Thanks for reading.

i was just about to say "peace corps" but you beat me to it. im still in college, and still have 3 more years to go, so obviously i dont have as much experience as you in this. and as the naive little person i am, i guess the only thing i can say is... just keep searching.

as you said in your post, partly the reason why you went to college is so you wont end up in a shitty cashier job. well, you know, you could get a phd and STILL end up in a shitty cashier job. theres other avenues to work in though. i think the way your in peace corps right now obviously shows that your the kind of person who wants to find work thats meaningful.

judging from your post, it sounds like your saying every things pretty much pointless because yes, most likely theres a bunch of other people who can do the same job, and ya, when your old, it pretty much sucks for everyone, and most jobs ARE pointless ill agree. its the same for me - essentially, i do think a lot of things are "pointless" when you get down to it.

the main problem i have with todays generation is that it seems almost like a requirement for everyone to go to college when it really isnt for everyone. i thought one of the main points of a vocation was to find something that brings YOU fulfillment, regardless, whether its in politics, being a baker, a cashier, doctor, counselor, teacher, restaurant owner, etc

... i think i just repeated everything you think already. i spent too much time on this post though, so im posting it anyways...

You know I feel the same way sometimes.

I've been wasting away all these years in medical school. I graduated, so eager to finally do something meaningful in this earth ... and then life screws you over. I ended up doing things I don't want. And now I don't even know what the heck's gonna happen to me in the future.

Right now I'm trying to find ways to remedy the situation but I don't know ... some people just like screwing your life without thinking of what they did, and you're just left here trying to pick up the pieces.

Latest posts

Back