Crappy Neighbor

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theglasscell

Reaction score
Every time my neighbor leaves their apartment or comes home they slam their door so hard that it makes my heart jump.

I sleep during the day too so it wakes me up at least three or four times a day even while wearing ear plugs.

I just wonder what makes a person behave that way. You have to put a lot of effort to make the doors in this building slam like that, I tried with mine. I have to put a ton of effort into making that loud slam when I close it.

Do you think my neighbor is a really angry person and they are taking it out on the door? I just don't get it.

It's just like the guy at work who sticks his gum in the water fountain every day.

What leads a person to have that sort of behavior? It's like they are acting out in anger but acting like a baby throwing a tantrum almost.

Ugh.

you take it for granted that they are thinking of other people and doing it on purpose. but some people, just go through life thinking of themselves and it doesn't even dawn on them how it may affect others.
I see it all of the time. I work in a hotel and get shocked frequently at how may ignorant people are out there. people dump garbage out of the car in the parking lot before they drive away, or drop cups and wrappers in the stairwell or halls as they walk, leave a pile of soaked towels on the bathroom floor, leave half plates of food on the floor in the rooms and then complain when they see an ant, put cigarettes out in the tile around the Jacuzzi, slam doors all night while people are sleeping next door to them, all kinds of rude behavior.
I even saw a guy on camera once that was walking down the hall texting, and out of the blue all of a sudden he reached up and punched a light fixture in the hall and shattered it, for no reason at all. must have got a text he didn't like?
when I started here, I thought.. **** these people are a-holes and MUST be doing it on purpose, because who would do that?
but, as I watch security cameras and see the same acts over and over, I realize that they don't do it for spite or simply to piss me off. they do it because they are concerned only about themselves and don't give a second thought about anyone that they may effect. they don't think of the poor girls working for minimum wage that have to clean up their mess, or the maintenance guys that have to fix what they callously break, or the guy next door that they woke up. at that moment, they are only thinking about No.1 (themselves) and don't want to take 2 extra steps to use a garbage can.
they don't shower before they use a public Jacuzzi because they don't care that the next person will have to sit in their filthy bath water. they don't put a lid on the coffee cup as they take it down the hall because they don't care about the guy who has to clean the carpets ever single day due to carelessness.
they only care when the Jacuzzi has a black rig around it after 2 people used it, or when the carpets look so disgusting that you wont want to step on it even with your shoes on. then they will complain and try to get a discount!

/rant

I used to have a neighbour like that. My dad, being hot-tempered him, would always do the same in return every time that happens. they drove me nuts, that neighbour and my dad. But I attributed it to thinking that my neighbour back then just has some issues understanding what silently closing the door means. Who knows. I just tolerated it. Then again.. I have a high tolerance for almost anything. :rolleyes:

It's stressful having neighbors that don't have any concern for others or good manners. Like Walley said, they don't think of anybody else but themselves. I remember this one apartment where our neighbor to the left constantly knocked on our door, even at the wee hours of the morning, asking to "borrow" stuff...eggs, oil, sugar. And the neighbors to our right had a love-you-when-we're-sober, you're-my-punching-bag-when-we're-drunk relationship. I was just glad when we were able to move out.

Could you have a word with your neighbor about it? He may not realise that you sleep during the day and that he is waking you up.
Re, gum in the water fountain-that is horrible. Others as well as you must find that offensive so maybe a group of you could delegate someone to speak to him about it in a calm and non confrontational manner. I remember once I went out with a man who stuck his chewing gum on the rim of the drinking glass when he had finished with it. I asked him to put it in the bin next time. He was surprised that the habit bothered me, but was happy to comply. Maybe this man you work with doesn't realise that you find his habit horrible.

If that is the worst thing your neighbors have done, you're pretty lucky. I have some terrible neighbors. One poisoned my dog, like 10 years ago.

Oh my gosh Muse, that's terrible! I'm such a hot head when crossed (everyone's got a fault right?) I probably would have stomped over there and had a shouting match. A neighbors much bigger dog bit our tiny dog in our yard because he wouldn't keep him on a leash-like ever. I think I screamed so loud that it must have carried a full city block. He's never done it again, lol.

As for the slamming neighbor, here's an idea-you know when he's coming home I assume. A roundabout time frame for getting off of work. Perhaps what you could do is buy a small thing of cookies (sealed container) or some other sweet item. Attach a card explaining how you appreciate him as a neighbor even though you've not really talked. But that as a day sleeper, the sound of the slamming door wakes you up, and you're wondering if maybe he could try to close the door softer so as to not wake you up every day. Leave the package outside his door right before he gets home. The sweets will soften the blow and act as a peace offering. He'll be more likely to try and remember if you're super nice about it like that. I would certainly try if someone asked in this manner. So much better than an angry crappy complaint if you know what I mean.

^ That is a great suggestion, it beats what I was going to say, maybe I should start making noise, maybe one of my neighbors will bring me cookies. :D

Honestly, i no longer ponder the motives of other people or try to understand their behavior. I just simply think that it is what it is. He slams the door, that affects your sleeping. So, you have 2 choices, ignore it or talk to the landlord or neighbor. The "why" of it, what does it matter?

One neighbor, many years ago threatened me with a SHOTGUN because I was begging the wife not to keep the radio they put near my bedroom high in the morning, as it was waking me up all the time. They belonged to some kind of very racist Christian sect and raised abusively this obese daughter who would occasionally talk about herself in third person with a baby voice. Some people are just bad.

Peaches said:
One neighbor, many years ago threatened me with a SHOTGUN because I was begging the wife not to keep the radio they put near my bedroom high in the morning, as it was waking me up all the time. They belonged to some kind of very racist Christian sect and raised abusively this obese daughter who would occasionally talk about herself in third person with a baby voice. Some people are just bad.

That's crazy!

Worst I've had is being reported for trivial noise complaints. The best one was that we were mashing potatoes to loud... and no, that's not a euphemism. :p

Yeah, it was pretty bad.

They're all a bunch of hillbillies. They are now part of my second house, which we are in the process of selling (we inherited a house from my Grandma, who died 2 years ago, so we're living there), so we don't have to deal with them much. But it's pretty awful what they did. If I could prove it, in a court of law, I would have filed something legally.

The neighbors I am dealing with now...one family is rather eccentric, but nice. One family is also eccentric, but can be mean. And one neighbor is a complete *******, and everyone in the neighborhood hates him.

Peaches said:

Whoa. Gotta be careful there. :\

In these situations (especially the random punching lights kind of situation) I just look at them like they've took a dump on the floor and say "What are you doing? Are you retarted or an *******?" If I get threatened physically I just go "Woohoo a few weeks off work paid by you"

Lol.

What's that saying... "Smile at your enemies - it'll piss them off more". Or something like that. You don't let them get to you, they'll eventually fall flat on their face. In the mud.

Latest posts

Back