Crux Introduction.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crux

Reaction score
Hello. I am generally lonely, so I decided to make an account here.

I am male, 15 years old, and live in the United States. I have libertarian political ideas, and don't subscribe to any religion or spiritual/supernatural ideology.

My loneliness is caused by a variety of factors, all consolidated into one horrible hindrance of social interaction.

The number one reason being, that I simply dislike most people. Not in a hateful way, I just don't have an interest in them. I find them unintelligent and boring, with very simple interests and limited understanding of the world. Most people don't seem to care much for subjects or ideas, but instead focus only on gossip and events that are relevant to their repetitive everyday lives.

What's even more annoying, is that the majority of people seem to communicate with a façade of politeness and manners that prevents them from saying what they actually think. It makes conversations insincere and disingenuous. I find it annoying that people will hide their opinions and emotions, or completely lie just to protect someone else's feelings. This way, conversation loses its value.

My peers (as opposed to adults) are much better as far as the second problem goes, but are even worse when it comes to the first problem. They are way too glib, and totally lack any capability to be understanding of other people. Most of them don't particularly dislike me, but my relationship with them is very minimal. I am merely an acquaintance.

Also, while I do get a little anxious in social situations, I am not generally shy. However, when in the presence of my parents or teachers (or anyone else in authority), I don't express myself. I don't know precisely why, but I think its because I fear being punished or scolded for an action that they happen to dislike or disagree with. This definitely hampers my interactions with others, but I still continue to do it.

So basically, until I meet someone who is intelligent, interesting, brutally honest, opinionated, emotionally stable, and generally friendly, (or at least, the majority of these qualities) I will continue to be lonely. The internet will keep me somewhat sane for now, and I will certainly have a larger variety of people to choose from once I move out of this terrible rural community that I live in.

Any advice is appreciated.

That's enough whining :D . I look forward to talking to the members here, and reading posts.

The username "crux" has no real meaning, I just like the way the word sounds.

Wow - wish I had been that cogent & lucid at 15 (not wishing to patronise). I'm afaid we live in a world where shallow ideology is the norm - good to see some people still perceive in a broader spectrum!

Feel free to PM for deep & philosophical chat!

I used to drive a truck for a living. Really, I did that for a lot of years out of my life. I loaded stuff and delivered stuff all around the country and sometimes I had to sleep in the truck. There were sometimes also when I slept in a hole in the ground, honestly. I wouldn't mention it but I think also that we shouldn't be what you said, and we should say what we want to say. Thank you :)

That is indeed an impressive mindset for a boy of 15 years. I wish I had already been where you are at this age, but similar ideas were barely developing in my head back in the days of puberty. But as much as I can understand your desire for honesty and the discarding of shallow politeness, these two things don't seem to get along very well. Though I don't condone lying, I have to admit that there's a thin line between honesty and tactlessness which is why I'm a follower of the principle 'If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all'. Not all of my thoughts are inherently good or reasonable - and this probably goes for a lot of people. What we have right now in society is a very fragile balance, but I'm afraid that pure honesty and straightforwardness might tilt this balance and create a rather hostile environment for some of us.

I think most people are a lot more interesting and intelligent than you are giving them credit for. After all, how well do you really know these people that you are so quick to write off? You yourself aren't able to express your true self. What makes you think others don't have the same problem?

Welcome to the forum.

Hello Crux, welcome to the forum. I'm not sure how intelligent people should be to get along well with you, but to me and my standards, everyone is intelligent in their own different ways. Not everyone can be the same, so I do hope you find the sort of people you're looking for here on this forum. In my experience, everyone I've met here is quite intelligent (to me, at least).

kamya said:
I think most people are a lot more interesting and intelligent than you are giving them credit for. After all, how well do you really know these people that you are so quick to write off? You yourself aren't able to express your true self. What makes you think others don't have the same problem?

Welcome to the forum.

Aside from the Internet, where I can search for specific types of people, there are very few. I live in a small community with a relatively small population, there aren't many people to choose from.

I'm not really "writing then off," like I said, I don't really hate them, they are just boring to me.

Maybe they do have the same problem, but I wouldn't be willing to make that assumption unless I saw some kind of evidence for it.

Rodent said:
That is indeed an impressive mindset for a boy of 15 years. I wish I had already been where you are at this age, but similar ideas were barely developing in my head back in the days of puberty. But as much as I can understand your desire for honesty and the discarding of shallow politeness, these two things don't seem to get along very well. Though I don't condone lying, I have to admit that there's a thin line between honesty and tactlessness which is why I'm a follower of the principle 'If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all'. Not all of my thoughts are inherently good or reasonable - and this probably goes for a lot of people. What we have right now in society is a very fragile balance, but I'm afraid that pure honesty and straightforwardness might tilt this balance and create a rather hostile environment for some of us.

I still value honesty more than I do fake kindness, or even kindness in general. I've noticed that people will often block out everything that makes them feel bad. I'm not sure why, but perceiving only half (the good part) of life isn't appealing to me. As long as it's not intentional rudeness, I don't mind people saying things that may be harsh, critical, or offensive. It's what they actually think.

There is a way in which a person can end such conversation using honesty rather than the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it" statement. That is, you simply ask the person to stop.

And honesty would fix the problem that not all of your thoughts may not be good or reasonable. It would usually spark a debate, which helps to refine them.

Personally, I promote a society in which everyone is brutally honest and generally understanding, but different people have different preferences.

Wow, you are precocious, when I was 15 there was no way I had those types of thoughts.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find what you need here.

"A pedestal is as much a prison as any small, confined space."
Gloria Steinem

I'd be taking a good hard look at the quality of the person I see in the mirror before I cast out a blanket statement regarding people as you have. Narcissism is not attractive.....

WildernessWildChild said:
"A pedestal is as much a prison as any small, confined space."
Gloria Steinem

I'd be taking a good hard look at the quality of the person I see in the mirror before I cast out a blanket statement regarding people as you have. Narcissism is not attractive.....

Again, I didn't say I hated these people or that they're doing anything wrong, just that they are uninteresting and annoying to me.

I do regard myself as slightly superior to the majority of people (that I know, especially my peers), and I think it would be naive to believe that everyone is completely equal...but I don't act as though my perceived superiority gives me some type of intrinsic authority over others, nor do I think that these people are "worthless," just inferior to some degree.

Calling another person worthless for being inferior is stupid, since such a judgment is completely relative to the individual judging.

Latest posts

Back