daily mood swings?.. whats wrong with me?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rex-craft7

Reaction score
heres my situation: (and i know i made a similar topic before but..)

art is what i want to do for the rest of my life. i have no doubt about this - i started drawing since i could walk, and my hope is that by the time im gone, i would be known as someone who contributed something as an artist. science is a secondary interest which i am average in at best.

here are my two options:
stay at my current school (UW) and study both biology/art, and graduate having no debt, and while also having paid nothing (at least, so far) for my education (save for food/gas it takes to commute and stuff)

go to art school (CCA or SVA at the moment), and potentially be in a situation where i have to pay 20000+ dollars per year

in the end, im fairly sure that i could find at least SOMETHING in biology that i like, but i doubt ill find anything to the level of art (im talking about illustration/fine arts, as i dont really have an interest in the more "marketable" arts like architecture/industrial design, etc)

judging from common sense, i should stay. but i also get those moments where i feel really emotional about something, and then i teeter the other way, because i feel like i wont be getting to my full potential if i stay here. this is frustrating as all hell, because i keep swaying back and forth about these two options everyday - i found that lately, ive been getting odd mood swings at random times. While studying, i would suddenly just feel depressed, and then i would walk outside for hours wasting time - and sometimes, right after, i would strangely get extremely hyper.

i pretty much waste a third of the day just laying in bed or poring over career/job books and forums when i feel like i already know everything i could possibly know from those sources of information. has anyone been in this situation before? i really need to figure this out before i lose both options...

I don't know what to tell you about the options.

Just that people often make bad choices when they think there are only two. Look for a third... look for a fourth.. keep looking till you find the thing that looks like it might work, the option that fills you back up with hope.

As for the mood swings... I deal with those all the time. I had a few months break where they just leveled out for no reason but I feel it coming back again. I was so irritable today swinging from hopeful to depressed to lonley and back to irritated again.

It's like you look around. trying to say between happy and sad, and it hits you in the back with some other emotion you didn't think about. When you start watching your back... the floor drops out from underneath you. It's like a yo yo. That was put in the blender or something. I don't know. Agh.

I just try to take deep breathes and remind myself that I had a condition that takes me for a joyride every hour. I don't have to act on these random mood shifts handed to me. I can try to set them aside and act logically.

It doesn't work lol. But hey just wanted to let you know I read your post.

Look for a third option. Or other ways to do the two options.

I would say do what makes you happy.
If art school is where you REALLY want to be then go for it.
If you don't, you will probably regret that more than you regret the debt.

I do, however, agree with Solace. There are probably quite a few more options that can work for you.

Latest posts

Back