dating online

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curly94

Reaction score
do you think its ok to date somone online that you havent meet?
if yes why? if no why ?

Yes, because the world is a big place, higher chance you two would be more compatible than any you'd meet irl. However, you have to be more careful online, more pretense and deception.

I think it's okay just as long as you're very careful. There are many risks to anything you do, and especially even more so online. If you're not sure what red flags to watch out for or if you're already experiencing things that you're not sure of, it's always good to talk about what issues you're facing with someone you can talk to.

I made the mistake of doing everything on my own, and as I was very naive at the time, it resulted me in a lot of issues in my previous relationship. After talking to a lot of people for advice and help, I realise that there were so many things I overlooked and had I talked about my issues then to others, I probably would've woken up from it all. Of course, you have to be selective to the kind of advice or feedback people give you about anything - in the end, it's your call, your decision, what you want to do. Good luck! :)

absolutely

internet is just another means of communication, doesnt mean you cant use it to be with someone.

Long distance can be tough though, but it's definitely worth it if you try.

=)

As long as the person with which you'll date provides some evidence showing that he/she really is who his/her profile claims him/her to be (photos, webcam, etc) then yes, otherwise I wouldn't rush into trusting someone that quickly, you never know who's really hiding behind the screen.

As long as two people online can meet each other in person and eventually make it a local thing then yeah why not? It can make things more difficult but if it's the right person sometimes it's worth it. You just have to make sure that person is really who they claim to be and that you guys have the same relationship in person as you do online.

No

u can't truly know somebody on the computer. Meet them in real life

I think that if you meet someone online, get to know them and start to like their personality and whatnot, you NEED to meet them in person before dating. People are different from the internet and in person.

I think some people find that they only need to be satisfied on an emotional and intellectual level - not a physical one. This opens up a whole new meaning to the word "relationship". To find someone a person considers an intellectual equal with whom they can connect on a deep and personal emotional level can most certainly mean that they have found someone they could call their lover, even without meeting in person. Provided the feeling is mutual, of course. Some folks can feel fulfilled just through sending love letters to one another. That's perfectly acceptable. Really, the only people who write the rules in any relationship are the two (or more, I suppose, if you're into polyamory) involved. Nobody else. If two people decide that a long-distance relationship is more than enough for them, then that is the end of the story. They don't ever have to meet, as far as I'm concerned. They don't need to plan to share a life in person in the future, and no, you don't have to be together in the flesh to share the emotion of love for each other. It's people who make up all these rules about needing to be physically in one another's presence to really call it a "relationship" and all this nonsense. Sure, if it is necessary for one person to meet his or her partner in the flesh, then that's what he or she needs to do if they ever want to have a fulfilling relationship. But it doesn't mean that's the case for all people. Again - the ones who write the rules in each relationship are the people involved. Nobody else.

Personally though - I've had both on line and "real life" relationships and valued and respected both types of relationships equally. There are sometimes when I want physical contact in a relationship and sometimes when I simply don't. I'd like to say to anyone who says you "NEED" to meet your potential lovers in person that I have had very successful long distance relationships over the internet and no, I feel you do not need to interact in-person to fulfill a relationship. I will say, though, that when sharing personal things with anyone online, please be sure to know that the person you're sharing these things with is who they say they are (and not a predator or your run-of-the-mill creep).

That is my view on the subject.

Oh, y'know, like the creeps who follow you around to give you a hard way to go everywhere you pop a squat since they have nothing else going on in their lives. Or the ones who want nudes. :rolleyes:

Good post there, Rabbit.

Doubt The Rabbit said:
Again - the ones who write the rules in each relationship are the people involved. Nobody else.

This - is what I definitely agree with and would stress on. At the end of the day, it's your decision and your judgement because each situation is different from the other. People would give you what they know from experience but that experience may not necessarily apply.

Doubt The Rabbit said:
Oh, y'know, like the creeps who follow you around to give you a hard way to go everywhere you pop a squat since they have nothing else going on in their lives. Or the ones who want nudes. :rolleyes:

Good to know. Next time I am about to say hi to a girl I might want to talk to, I won't, and I will wait for her to talk to me. And then if she likes my attention too much, she will be my personal creep :rolleyes:

I think I will just go ahead and ignore you, most of your posts around here just leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

Not for me to judge, but it seems like online dating would most likely occur in the absence rather than a substitute for in-person contact for those who are desperate for some - any - form of company.

perfanoff said:
Doubt The Rabbit said:

I think I will just go ahead and ignore you, most of your posts around here just leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

As opposed to your posts condoning "logical" revenge, naturally. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back