Dating Sites

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty well done with online dating. I've tried match, eharmony, bbwromance, okcupid, facebook datepad, and chemistry.com. No luck. Not worth the money for the paid ones either.

Believe it or not, e-harmony seems to have worked for me. I didn't think it would. I've never been so happy to be proven wrong!

At this point, I would prefer to be alone.. With each failed relationship and marriage, my standards for relationships grow higher, even tho the opposite should happen because of all my baggage. Relationships just bring unnecessary stresses into my life. I'd rather not deal with most of the bullshit these babbling bitches breath.

Luna said:
"Desperately lonely loser, SWM,32,miserable,apathetic, tired of tv and watching my roomates hair fall out. Seeks depressed, unattractive SWF, 25-32, no sense of humor, for long talks about the macabre.
or
SWM looking for blind female, any race or age. But of course blind people can't read-Fix me up with your friends.
or
Bitter, disillusioned SM recently rejected by longtime fiancee seeks decent, reliable woman, If such a thing exists in this cruel world of hatchet faced witches."
This cracked me up Xd So awesome...
if I'd ever try a dating site, I would most likely write something like that.. I really couldn't be arsed to profile myself as anything else than the cynical couch-potato that I am :p

Luna said:
POF sucks!
Okay, okay...maybe not. *cough* But either way, no luck for me (as you can clearly see). :p

Oh it sure doth suck alright. I spent nearly 2 years on and off that site and the only thing I ended up with was RSI.

Yet I know someone who met the love of her life not even mere weeks into signing up. Doesn't it make you all gooey and warm inside when you actually know people that have success on dating sites even though you don't after years and years of trying?!

*skips off to beddy byes

*Sigh* said:
Anyone tried dating sites? How do you think of them? Bad experiences? Good experiences?

Many long ages ago when the world was young and green and wild poodles roamed the earth I did the match.com thing, and ended up sitting across the table from one married liar after another, interspersed with polyamorous guys all about getting all they could with as many as they could, and numerous other sad cases. Dating became a second job, and devolved into serious drudgery. After a year or so of this I just gave up and settled into my default life which I've learned to adjust to.

Since then my sex drive just left, went away, and never came back. Fine. I'm okay with that, and I really don't want it back either. All it ever really did for me was complicate my life and put me in one miserable situation after another. Bleah! Enough! Mr. Right never surfaced and I really don't think he exists for me, and I'm fine with that now. If I had a couple good friends to do things with now and then I'd be pretty happy.

Working on that.

It has been my personal experience that those dating sites are not all that reliable!
I went over to one (not gonna mention name- but the biggest one)!
Anyways, went over to one, **Just for fun** and took 35 mins to fill out this crazy looong questioner submitted it, waited a few mins- all to be told : "Sorry, we do not have any matches for you at this time"
Wait, WHAT?!?!?!?! this is a dating site, and you do not have even one match?
Made me depressed for the rest of the day!!!

............. )):

TrailerTrish said:
*Sigh* said:
Anyone tried dating sites? How do you think of them? Bad experiences? Good experiences?

Many long ages ago when the world was young and green and wild poodles roamed the earth I did the match.com thing, and ended up sitting across the table from one married liar after another, interspersed with polyamorous guys all about getting all they could with as many as they could, and numerous other sad cases. Dating became a second job, and devolved into serious drudgery. After a year or so of this I just gave up and settled into my default life which I've learned to adjust to.

Since then my sex drive just left, went away, and never came back. Fine. I'm okay with that, and I really don't want it back either. All it ever really did for me was complicate my life and put me in one miserable situation after another. Bleah! Enough! Mr. Right never surfaced and I really don't think he exists for me, and I'm fine with that now. If I had a couple good friends to do things with now and then I'd be pretty happy.

Working on that.

Good luck with that Trish. Meanwhile I can at least be a virtual friend to you if you like :)

I use OkCupid but the closest i got was meeting this chick in another town over but she hooked back up boyfriend the day I met her in person. Everything else has been either trannies saying i am hot or older chicks saying i am hot but too young. I send out a bunch of messages but i never get replies.

I've tried both POF and Zoosk. Total bullshit. Going to take my POF profile down soon. It makes me more depressed to keep on trying.

I mean, I've gotten dates from it but they were either awful or I'd never hear back from the woman after a date or two.

Suicide would be more pleasant.

I never get a response, ever. I'm not even bad looking, according to various girls on the net. Maybe so, but it's not enough for the female gender. Every day I'm still the friendless, never-had-anybody loser.

and you say I should not feel "forced" out.

i rarely if ever get a response too. It is only the chick that contact m e first and say i am cute that i ever have some sort of conversation with and that is maybe 1-2 a year. I tell them i like something similar that they wrote in their profile or i say i am looking for friendship too.

Hello I am [my name]. Pretty lame but I enjoy romantic comedies as well; Netflix is pretty good for obscure Indie movies in that genre. Also being a 6 foot redhead makes you pretty intriguing, if I say so myself. I don't want you to get the wrong impression that I am only messaging for a hook up. I usaully make a pretty good friend and that is where I would like to start.

That is a sample message I sent a chick and I never send girls stuff like lets have sex or you have nice friends. If any girl here knows where i went wrong tell me.

What's wrong is obvious. The dating scene and the attraction process is totally rigged against us as males. Just looking at gender roles alone proves that. But it is so much more. Online dating struggles is a symptom of the issue.

I've seen a few of these sites. I'm sure they work for some people. I just don't trust them, and I don't believe in shopping catalogue romance. It doesn't fit my character.

I've tried OKCupid briefly. The women who messaged me on there were too confident/happy. I didn't message them back, because it would just end badly. I have social anxiety, and I'm attracted to shy women. I recently had my friend try it out to help him move on from a recent breakup, but I doubt anything serious can come out of using OKCupid.

Been to 2. match.com and tagged(well it's sorta a dating site).

Match.com had one woman out of all of them, that caught my interest. Her eyes especially.. but I never sent a message.

for tagged, all of them cept one were bad news, and the one I was interested in, gave up the same day I signed up, because no guys were interested in her.

I wont try anymore.

Anten said:
Hello I am [my name]. Pretty lame but I enjoy romantic comedies as well; Netflix is pretty good for obscure Indie movies in that genre. Also being a 6 foot redhead makes you pretty intriguing, if I say so myself. I don't want you to get the wrong impression that I am only messaging for a hook up. I usaully make a pretty good friend and that is where I would like to start.

That is a sample message I sent a chick and I never send girls stuff like lets have sex or you have nice friends. If any girl here knows where i went wrong tell me.

Not a girl, but that is waaay to formal, sounds almost like a paper add. Don't explicitly say why you are messaging. There's no need to state that you are not looking for a hook up. Saying things like that will make a person wary. If you're saying things which make you feel like you need to add the explanation that you are not looking for a hook up, probably means that you are saying the wrong things to begin with.
I wouldn't say "where I would like to start" either, that shows intent. And while that might be the goal of a dating site, it could come over as smothering from someone who doesn't know her besides whatever the profile says. Your mails, especially the first ones, should be very casual and if there's a certain e-spark it'll naturally evolve and take direction.
If you do want to flirt and show interest, do it again, casually. Say she looks cute or something, no more. Also end with open dialogue so you give her incentive to answer afterwards.

Hello I am [my name]. I enjoy romantic comedies as well; Netflix is pretty good for obscure Indie movies in that genre. What are your favourite movies? (assuming she didn't put that up her profile :p if not.. be original) Nice to meet you!

Short, simple and straight forward. That's my 5 cents.

Thanks I am horrible at trying to come up with a first message. I will use your revision as a template for furture messages.

I found that the initial e-mail to someone was the easiest thing to do. The hard part was just finding a female that would write stuff about herself in her profile.
My profile was a humorous sales pitch that people enjoyed reading and sometimes got people to write me.

Once the initial e-mail was sent, it was the horrible waiting period of finding out if they would respond. If the person responded, then there was the adrenaline rush of happiness. I am an expert at having conversations in e-mail. Unfortunately most female HATE having conversations.
The worst part is once the e-mails would take a break. Once the female took a break of even 1 day from writing me, it was over. They would oddly always become "busy". The best way to know if things were going to end suddenly is if we actually met in person. Meeting in person is the death nail to a relationship.

Latest posts

Back