Dating websites

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okonkwo said:
If you're a man and you're not getting any replies on dating site, chances are your profile makes you come across as dull and boring. Most men put things like "I'm a nice guy" or "I like to play video games" or "I enjoy reading" in their profile. Things like that just scream boring and weak. If your profile has things like that then you're not going to be getting any replies. Here is an example of a proper male profile:

wQQL2.png

HW4Xz.png

he sounds like a wanker but typical of a person who uses dating sites and gets as many women as he wants.
There is no point in lying about yourself, you have to be honest. My profile is then considered to be boring. But I find 99% of the women on these sites to be as dull as fresia as well, so it's no loss !

So, where can one buy some love around here, again?
Or can I at least buy a hug? lol

I highly recommend this site. Check it out:

http://www.datingadviceguy.com/

Of all of the blather and self-serving bromides too often found on dating advice websites, online forums, etc., this site really offers solid advice and realistic advice for people who are dealing with loneliness and other related issues. He also goes into details about the websites that you'll initially end up trying. Brad offers the single best piece of dating advice I've ever heard: there's someone out there looking for someone like you, warts and all. Don't give up. That means a lot to me.

I went to the Misstravel site, funny there is no generous female/attractive male option, I thought we were in the 21st century

Sounds like you have a golden business opportunity then Peaches! Time to start up a company that fills that high in demand service of wealthy woman to attractive male demographic. :D

I definitely agree with being honest. I was on a dating site for a while and a guy sent me a message telling me what he wanted to do with me. It was disgusting, but I'm really glad he let me know right from the start what an idiot what he was. Otherwise, we could have been messaging for weeks before I found out. Or found out when I met him.

But I can see why he does it. It saves time and increases his chances of finding the kind of girl he wants to meet.

I like the boring-sounding guys best.

I think the best way to use a dating site is to decide what you are looking for. D yu really want a relationship, and just need a new venue to present yourself and find that special someone? Then be honest about what you want and what you are. If you try to be something you aren't, then you won't find someone who likes you for you.

If, however, you want to find hookups, then look up some pick up artist tips. But guys like that are not attractive.

I know I prefer people who come across as genuine.

When it comes to dating websites, I find that most women are not really there to find a date. I never really understood why but it seems to be common for women to sign up but never want to meet.

Then last night I saw one that created an account with a profile explaining the issue. She put that she wanted to be honest off the bat. She is not on the site to date. She compared it to house buying. She likes to go on realtor websites and browse the houses just to see what is out there. She has no intentions of buying a house but likes to dream about what it would be like to have one. She said to her, dating websites are the same way. She said she put that in her profile because she was getting a lot of guys contacting her for dates.

Too bad all the women were not that up front about it as it would make it easier to weed through the profiles.

It seems to me that they sign up to just get an ego boost or gain more self confidence. They have no intention of meeting anyone. I was on tagged the other day and this girl said yes to me on the meet me part of the page and I said yes to her. So I added her as a friend and sent her a message. She accept the friend request but will just not reply to my messages. I said to her why did you add me if you wont even reply to me. I still got no reply...

Dear-_-Tragedy said:
It seems to me that they sign up to just get an ego boost or gain more self confidence. They have no intention of meeting anyone. I was on tagged the other day and this girl said yes to me on the meet me part of the page and I said yes to her. So I added her as a friend and sent her a message. She accept the friend request but will just not reply to my messages. I said to her why did you add me if you wont even reply to me. I still got no reply...

I had someone do something like that on Match except when I sent her a message after she added me as a favorite, she went off on me wanting to know why I would dare send her a message.

Yes, stuff like that is common on dating sites. A good portion of the singles out there are still looking for prince charming - a boytoy of unrealistic expectations. So just because they're not interested in you, doesn't mean they wouldn't be interested in one of the guys in "Celebrities you find attractive" thread.

kamya said:
Nerdygirl do you ever go out of your way to message a guy first? If so what kinds of stuff do you tend to put in the first message? Honestly I find it hard writing to someone you don't even know while trying to be interesting enough to get a reply. Some of the members here have proof of that from me. >>

Or should I say, "What is something that is worth reading?"

Yes, I've written guys first. I almost always send a full paragraph. I introduce myself and make at least one reference to something in particular I like about his profile. Asking questions is helpful, because it allows for a flow of conversation. For example, if I wrote the OP, I would say something like:

"Hi. My name is Nerdygirl. I enjoyed reading your profile. It sounds like you have a real passion for creativity. What kind of music do you play/ write? The only music I don't really like is bluegrass and polka. I do a little voice work as a side job. This includes singing backup for demos and things. It can be a lot of fun, but some customers can be a real pain! Do you record with your computer? If so, I'd love to get a recommendation on an introductory microphone. I've been relying on my headset for a while, but the quality is sub-par."

See, that took me all of three minutes to think up. It doesn't push, "Hey, let's hook up" but it's friendly and provides him with an opportunity to discuss something he is familiar with and will feel comfortable discussing.

perfanoff said:
Oh come on dude, you know if she feels generous she will even take a look at your profile, just like she is so generous to respond to this thread.

I believe there's a point up to which respecting others transforms into sucking up to them, writing a personalized message to people that you KNOW will treat you just like she will treat you.. well, that IS insulting and degrading.

You should be ashamed of yourself. I've never given anybody just cause to suggest I'm merely deigning to respond in threads.

I stand by what I said 100%. It is generous to look over the profile of somebody who couldn't be bothered to write more than, "Hey. I saw your profile and thought you seemed cool." Half of the people who say that didn't even read the freaking profile!

This isn't like approaching somebody in person. You don't have to rush to think of something to say before the person leaves and the moment passes. When you respond to a dating profile, you have time. There's time to comment on specific things; time to ask questions. By refusing to take advantage of that time, you're basically saying, "You're not worth a real investment of my time, but you're cute, so here's a sentence that requires almost zero effort."

nerdygirl said:
perfanoff said:
Oh come on dude, you know if she feels generous she will even take a look at your profile, just like she is so generous to respond to this thread.

I believe there's a point up to which respecting others transforms into sucking up to them, writing a personalized message to people that you KNOW will treat you just like she will treat you.. well, that IS insulting and degrading.

You should be ashamed of yourself. I've never given anybody just cause to suggest I'm merely deigning to respond in threads.

I stand by what I said 100%. It is generous to look over the profile of somebody who couldn't be bothered to write more than, "Hey. I saw your profile and thought you seemed cool." Half of the people who say that didn't even read the freaking profile!

This isn't like approaching somebody in person. You don't have to rush to think of something to say before the person leaves and the moment passes. When you respond to a dating profile, you have time. There's time to comment on specific things; time to ask questions. By refusing to take advantage of that time, you're basically saying, "You're not worth a real investment of my time, but you're cute, so here's a sentence that requires almost zero effort."

If I took the time to find you, look at your profile, and write two sentences that relate somehow to your profile, it's still more than the zero you have done that far, it would be at least a courtesy to look at their profile. But if you expect somebody to take 15 minutes on you writing a witty message in addition to the time taken for finding you and reading your profile, well.. you must think you're a very special grape.

Latest posts

Back