Days in High School

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

that1guy

Reaction score
So today is May 23, 2009 and this friday is my last day of high school forever.Im partly happy because i'm finally gonna get away from all the bs that a loner like myself had to deal with every day but i'm also kinda sad because now it is off into the real world...no more parents support like I used to have and I need to go on with my life. But in all my four years of high school I had so many good and bad times. I have some good memories with the few friends I have. My problem is that I have had more bad times than I would have wanted. My problems are that I am shy, so I could never really get into a real relationship. I always wanted to talk to people but was too shy, so not only was my love life a joke, my social life was an even bigger joke. I never played sports, did any clubs or go to any social things like dances or games or parties. It also doesnt help that i chose to screw around and be a slacker than do homework and study. Im just pissed because I didnt have a "normal" high school experience like the "normal" people have and I feel like I wasted my four years that I could have used to become somebody. Does anyone have similar or even completely different experiences? I would really like to know so please comment if you read this.

Even though I didn't like school, I miss it. I didn't care much to be social or seek out to make friends. I was there to graduate, and that's what I did. I didn't care for whole high school "experience" either. I didn't go to prom. Didn't go to any dances. I didn't go on Senior trip either. I was in choir though. I liked it. Good times. It was my favorite thing to do and be in. My high school finally put more classes like that, and I was able to take Interior Design. It was only for the first half of my Senior year, but it was an awesome class. And I just recently talked to someone who I was really close with in high school. So, those you're close, you'll probably tend to keep in contact.

I think about this almost every day, lately.

I was just like you. I eventually dropped out and got my GED, which is working ok for me, but I still regret not having a 'usual' highschool experience. I have a hard time watching 'high school' movies because of it.

This is exacerbated by my being a part-time school janitor, filling in for the full timers on their vacation or sick leave. I see high schoolers with their friends, working on after school projects, holding hands. They go to their games and their dances. I feel like I missed out on so much; like I was robbed of my childhood. I dreaded every day of school, though like you I also had my relatively 'good' times with my few friends who were just like me.

I wish I could go back and re-do it all. I wish things hadn't turned out like this. I hate having all of these regrets and dealing with the aftermath of having a warped social learning experience in my younger years.

i think about this often too. i barely made it through school. i felt like early on i could see the BS that public shcools are here. its like they are ran more like a business than how a school should be run. i didnt have many friends either and i didnt go to any dances including prom. i went to a school that was far away from where i lived so no one that i knew really lived near me. i had people i talked to but none that i hung out with outside of school. i feel like i have missed out on a lot in life and one of the biggest things is not having the "normal" childhood and high school experiences and i think that has messed me up in my head and its something that my mind wont let go of.

Sounds like you did have a 'normal' high school experience. I think the problem is so many of the people who don't fit into the norm, don't talk to each other, and don't realise there are quite a few of them! I was in the outcast group in high school, we didn't really have much in common other than the fact that we didn't fit in anywhere else. Now that I'm out of high school I realise that really there was no normal high school experience. Those people who did fit in annoyed me anyway, so I'm glad I wasn't one of them.

Hey that1guy, if you are going to college then I'm sure you will definitely have a life changing experience. There are many clubs to join and a lot more people around you so you never know what can happen. I am a senior in college right now and about to graduate. Although I personally didn't develop any really close friends, I did meet a lot of people and had some experiences I would never have had otherwise. I have a lot of mixed feelings about my college life, but I am still glad I went and did the things that I did. High school is a small world, there are a lot bigger things out there. Once you get out there, you will see a lot.

Brian said:
I think about this almost every day, lately.

I was just like you. I eventually dropped out and got my GED, which is working ok for me, but I still regret not having a 'usual' highschool experience. I have a hard time watching 'high school' movies because of it.

This is exacerbated by my being a part-time school janitor, filling in for the full timers on their vacation or sick leave. I see high schoolers with their friends, working on after school projects, holding hands. They go to their games and their dances. I feel like I missed out on so much; like I was robbed of my childhood. I dreaded every day of school, though like you I also had my relatively 'good' times with my few friends who were just like me.

I wish I could go back and re-do it all. I wish things hadn't turned out like this. I hate having all of these regrets and dealing with the aftermath of having a warped social learning experience in my younger years.

Yeah i am worried that same thing could happen to me. I really dont want that to happen. I hate seeing high school related things in the media too. Thanks for posting bud.

beatz said:
Hey that1guy, if you are going to college then I'm sure you will definitely have a life changing experience. There are many clubs to join and a lot more people around you so you never know what can happen. I am a senior in college right now and about to graduate. Although I personally didn't develop any really close friends, I did meet a lot of people and had some experiences I would never have had otherwise. I have a lot of mixed feelings about my college life, but I am still glad I went and did the things that I did. High school is a small world, there are a lot bigger things out there. Once you get out there, you will see a lot.

I'm actually trying to join the Marines so I hopefully will get a new start and try to make up for what I missed out on with new experiences.

I don't think that there is a "normal" high school experience.

Remember that life isn't like the movies; very rarely do you get a happy, family-loving, involved, busy and excellent student that maintains a perfect grade and plays sports and joins every club possible. That sort of existence just isn't very realistic...

...so just listening to all of you, I'd say that you're in the majority as far as what you've experienced during your times in high school. *shrug*

I enjoyed high school though i skipped out a lot and was also suspended a number of times. I rarely did homework. I would read stray text books that i found on the shelf in the class room rather than the text for whatever subject they were trying to teach me. I spent a fair amount of time at the high school across town and on occasion would even sit in on a class at that school even though i was not enrolled in that school.

I would go to many of the dances but that was just to hear the bands, which would be little local groups. For a while i would go to the football games, but had so little interest in the game that i wouldn't even know who won. I just went because i was slightly social at the time and went to see who was there. At that time i even knew a person or maybe two.

I never felt like i was a part of the school. Never belonged to any club or organization, wouldn't get my picture taken for the yearbook, didn't go to prom and didn't bother to go to graduation.

I don't have any regrets over the things that i skipped out of. If i could do it again, i don't think i could do it any better. There are a few things that have me wondering how i could be so blind, but those are a different matter.

I'm still IN high school, though at the end of it, and I already feel like I've wasted my four years. I guess everyone has their own different perspectives on what a "good high school experience" is, and this experience becomes your personal high school memory, whether it's good or bad.

High school.

9th grade was great. I worked so hard I got on the honor roll twice and my English teacher told me I should be in the honors english instead of regular English.

10th Grade. I was in Honors English. Got on the honor roll. Got into the National Society of High School Scholars. Went into Student Council. I got voted on.

11th Grade. No honor roll. I stopped caring about school.

12th Grade. I transferred to a deaf boarding school. Joined the Academic Bowl there (which is like a knowledge competition between teams) We won 3rd place in the atlantic division out of 16 teams. It was pretty cool. I also got into the National Honor Society that year.

High School was alright I think.

I didnt really like high school while I was there. I always had something better to do. I always got really good grades, and I was in some advanced classes...but my friends were the "bad crowd" so there were mixed reviews. I lived on the west virginia border in the country, and good ol' boys often looked afraid of us. I managed to get though 4 years of hillbilly high as an openly practicing bisexual. They sure do like them homophobic slurs, them good ol boys....well, that was high school.

I really miss high school. I had a lot of really good times with some great friends.

Latest posts

Back