i have been trying to learn some martial arts for some time .... but always postponing ...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnylife33

Reaction score
i am from India ...
i am 38 years old ...

i have been trying to learn martial arts for some time now

i wanted to learn something simple and practical ...

there was many limitations when trying to learn it ... i live in a place where i don't have much schools to choose from ...

i wanted to learn Judo but no schools anywhere near ... second choice was muay thai ... same issues ... no schools anywhere near ....

there is a only a karate school and a taekwondo school and a kung fu school near me ...

i don't feel like learning a lot of fancy moves .. i don't think i have that much time to practice like that ....

I think that kung fu styles are great and rich in their theories of attack and defense and they have tons of different techniques; because of this, it will take longer to master kung fu than kickboxing. Too many kung fu schools have bad teachers and thus their students cannot really fight, but if you find a kung fu school whose students practice force training and sparring, and perhaps have very few students, then it’s likely a good school.

Kickboxing, on the other hand, is way more simplistic than kung fu, which means it’s much easier to get good at it. Kickboxers practice a smaller set of techniques so they can become more proficient quickly.

If your goal is to be able to fight competitively, go for kickboxing. If you want to pursue martial arts as a lifelong passion or hobby, go for kung fu (but be careful with which school you choose).

Kickboxing, on the other hand, is way more simplistic than kung fu, which means it’s much easier to get good at it. Kickboxers practice a smaller set of techniques so they can become more proficient quickly.

after reading that post ...

following that advice would be a better idea ... :)

Have you thought about yoga or Aikido?. Both yoga and martial arts are modes of self healing that aim to dissolve stress and increase awareness. Both practices strive to awaken energy, or chi, within the body. Like yogis, martial arts practitioners learn how not to think, how to go beyond thinking to samadhi. Aikido, one of the newer forms of martial arts, embodies principles remarkably similar to the yoga tenets of moving from the body’s centre, relaxing under pressure, and extending chi.

If you just want to beat people up I'd suggest boxing.

Have you thought about yoga or Aikido?. Both yoga and martial arts are modes of self healing that aim to dissolve stress and increase awareness. Both practices strive to awaken energy, or chi, within the body. Like yogis, martial arts practitioners learn how not to think, how to go beyond thinking to samadhi. Aikido, one of the newer forms of martial arts, embodies principles remarkably similar to the yoga tenets of moving from the body’s centre, relaxing under pressure, and extending chi.

If you just want to beat people up I'd suggest boxing.

Sorry for the late reply ...

I have read some yoga books .... from what i understand from it ... i think it was mostly about breathing techniques and some stretching ... i have not done much deep reading about it ...

but here we see yoga related articles in newspapers most of the time ... so we can get some yoga related information and lessons like that ...

yes to some extent yoga can be helpful in refreshing the mind and keeping it calm ....

but i don't know much about the deeper techniques it teaches ....

as for aikido , i have actually learnt a martial art similar to that when i was a kid ... that was at least 20 years ago ...

but i could not practice it for too long to be effective in it ...

this is a bit like a second attempt at it ...

i think i have a plan this time ...

i think i am going to start with kick boxing type of martial arts .... going to practice it for a while ...

then learn something for the knife related fights and defense too ...

i think a combination of those two would be really practical in real life situations ...

What are your thoughts on MMA? It's a mixture of many styles.

i really don't know much about MMA , except that it is a type of cage fight where you use boxing , kickboxing , muay thai and god knows what else is in it :)

Last edited:
Struggling to manage multiple tasks or responsibilities can be due to various factors, including:

1. Overload: You might simply have too much on your plate, whether it's work-related tasks, personal commitments, or other responsibilities. When you have too many things to juggle, it can become overwhelming and difficult to prioritize effectively.
  2. Lack of Prioritization: If you're not clear on what tasks are most important or urgent, you may find yourself jumping from one thing to another without making meaningful progress on any of them. Learning to prioritize tasks based on their importance and deadlines can help you focus your efforts more effectively.
  3. Poor Time Management Skills: Effective time management involves planning, organizing, and allocating your time in a way that allows you to accomplish your goals efficiently. If you struggle with managing your time effectively, you may find yourself wasting time on unimportant tasks or getting bogged down by distractions.
  4. Difficulty Saying No: Sometimes, the inability to say no to new tasks or commitments can lead to over commitment and feeling overwhelmed. Learning to set boundaries and politely decline requests that you don't have the capacity to take on can help prevent this.
  5. Perfectionism: Striving for perfection in everything you do can lead to paralysis and inefficiency. It's important to recognize that perfection is often unattainable and that sometimes good enough is indeed good enough.
  6. Lack of Delegation: If you're trying to do everything yourself without delegating tasks to others who are capable of helping, you may find yourself stretched thin. Learning to delegate effectively can lighten your workload and free up time for more important tasks.
  7. Stress and Burnout: Feeling overwhelmed by multiple responsibilities can lead to stress and eventually burnout if not managed properly. It's important to prioritize self-care, set boundaries, and seek support when needed to prevent burnout.
  8. Lack of Organization: Disorganization can make it difficult to keep track of tasks, deadlines, and commitments, leading to feelings of overwhelm. Developing organizational systems and habits, such as to-do lists, calendars, and project management tools, can help you stay on top of things more effectively.
If you're struggling to manage multiple things, it might be helpful to reflect on which of these factors resonate with you and take steps to address them. This might involve learning new skills, setting boundaries, seeking support, or making changes to your workload or commitments.

i am from India ...
i am 38 years old ...

i have been trying to learn martial arts for some time now

i wanted to learn something simple and practical ...

there was many limitations when trying to learn it ... i live in a place where i don't have much schools to choose from ...

i wanted to learn Judo but no schools anywhere near ... second choice was muay thai ... same issues ... no schools anywhere near ....

there is a only a karate school and a taekwondo school and a kung fu school near me ...

i don't feel like learning a lot of fancy moves .. i don't think i have that much time to practice like that ....

after reading that post ...

following that advice would be a better idea ... :)
Hello, I grew up on a martial arts life. My father was an instructor and student. I was forced into this life. From ages as young as 5.
I would recommend the kung fu, then the taekwondo or karate. Having experience in all. Forget kick boxing. Go for more orthodox techniques. But I had the opportunity to be taught by very authentic instructors. I would chose kung fu because it take you closer to the fight. Build confidence better.

Thanks for your advice ...

Why did you say to forget kick boxing ?

i like kung fu too ... but the classes near lacks a bit of quality

and i think its going to take long time to be good at kung fu ...

if i had that sort of time

i would have seriously chosen kung fu ..

after reading your post , maybe i will try kung fu

here , the person offering kung fu classes are giving training at very affordable price too compared to the kick boxing classes ...

sometimes i think in martial arts like kick boxing , they focus on heavy impact and damage ...

that should not be the only aim in a particular martial art

i think , we should be able to lightly defend too :)

I think you could ask yourself why you want to do this..kick boxing is a great way to get fit, but it's a fighting style. It's not an Art, kung fu is. Look it up.
Is your choice, watch a few classes before participating, see what's the benefit, the value for money in it. Talk to some students..
Depending what you want out of it determines the time it takes to get anywhere, it's your coordination and ability that takes time, some people are natural too the movements, and your confidence helps too.
Knowing how to protect yourself in this era is important, you can avoid being robbed, assaulted if you apply the right defence. Kung fu will show you graples, defensive techniques etc, kick boxing won't, it'll show you how to kick and punch. Getting into a street fight isn't about that, it's about moving out of the way of harm, kung fu should show you that.

Kung fu will show you graples, defensive techniques etc, kick boxing won't, it'll show you how to kick and punch. Getting into a street fight isn't about that, it's about moving out of the way of harm, kung fu should show you that.

Yes , i like a martial art where there are more moves than kicking and punching ..
i think learning some grappling techniques too are very important ...

my main aim in a fight is not to punch or beat someone to death

i like steven seagal like moves more in a martial art .... :)

Do you know any good kung fu related books ?

this is the only good book i have read about kung fu ..

Wing Chun Kung-Fu_0000.jpg

:)

Technical Beginner's Guide To Kickboxing

I thought it would be really good if i can be at least good with few kicks and punches ...

sddefault.jpg

So i will probably start learning this ...

The rest can wait ... :)

Latest posts

Back