Despise valentines day :(

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onmyown1979

Reaction score
For like the last 15 years or so I hated this day. I never had anyone to give anything to and it's a hard day for me. My parents always invite me to eat dinner with them but I'll feel like such a loser so I never go. I do my best to just disappear that day. Now it's so ingrained in me to hate this day that even if I do windup with somebody I might not make it a priority because its always caused me so much pain. Am I silly for thinking this way?

I don't believe in it because I don't think love should be celebrated on one day a year. You're loved should be celebrated everyday, and not by flowers and expensive dinners. It should be celebrated by genuine affection.

For a couple of years now I've contemplated the idea of dressing up in purple, with a nice suit, blazer, hat, some purple-tinted sunglasses, the works. To the point I'd look like a pimp, or the Boss from the Saints Row series (but I repeat myself). I'd become a complete spectacle to behold, and then ask out women with a blinding aura of sheer audacity as my shield.

How can it go wrong?

Bones said:
I always buy my daughter & mother a dozen roses on Valentine's Day.

But you shouldn't do that, your love should be celebrated the whole year round, not just on one day!

painter said:
Bones said:
I always buy my daughter & mother a dozen roses on Valentine's Day.

But you shouldn't do that, your love should be celebrated the whole year round, not just on one day!

I say that's a couples rule. Showing romantic affection. Moms and daughters I think appreciate the extra effort of someone that's not their significant other.

I think Valentine's day is pointless and is just there to make people feel bad. It's evil.

I'm not really fond of any holiday, except maybe halloween. Being alone on most of them just sucks. But valentines day is the one I like the least.

I like Valentine's day. :) You can do something very romantic with your partner, what you wouldn't normally do in daily life. But I agree with Shipster0958, that love should be celebrated everyday, by little but meaningful things.

I have mixed feelings about Valentine's Day, to be honest. I hate the overemphasis on couples and dating, particularly when people make a huge deal about it and use it as an excuse to talk obsessively about their boyfriends/girlfriends. Not to mention I always feel left out to some degree, because I've never dated anyone.

On the other hand, I've found other ways to make the day more pleasant. Every year I go out and buy candy for my friends, and this year, I even bought fresh roses to give to some of my closest (female) friends. They found it really touching, even those who already got gifts from their boyfriends.

So, I guess the key to surviving VD is not to focus too much on yourself, or even on romantic love, per se. It can still be a nice opportunity to show friends and family members that you care for them. While I never get Valentines from others, I've found it's still very satisfying to show others that you care.

Latest posts

Back