Disability earnings exemption in BC Canada

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xephier102

Reaction score
In BC Canada, it states on the official site, that we're allowed to earn 15k per year without it being clawed back by the government. But there's really absolutely no details regarding that 15k.

For example, is that 15k, net, or gross earnings? And does it include or exclude money gained from tax refunds?

If it does not include money gained from tax refunds, and if the 15k is calculated only by the net earnings, then theoretically, I should be able to have more taken off by my employer to put towards taxes, and collect my total earnings at the end of the year via my tax refund (even if I technically make far more than 15k that year).

It'd be sort of like what the rich do with 'bonuses'. They get some relatively small amount (maybe 50-100k) on their official earnings, then get several million dollars at the end of the year as a 'bonus'.

Although the amount of return on my taxes would end up being closer to 20k, not several million :-( .

I don't live in Canada, but in America it's NEVER based on net. It's always gross. As for the rest, I would think contacting the disability people would get you more reliable answers. People could lie to you.

I don't live in Canada, but in America it's NEVER based on net. It's always gross. As for the rest, I would think contacting the disability people would get you more reliable answers. People could lie to you.
I doubt anyone would go out of their way to lie about such a thing on here. With most people, if they don't know, they just won't say anything.

As for talking to anyone, I'd probably have to sit on hold for 3 hrs just to talk to someone that barely has a grasp of the English language.. That's if the call doesn't just conveniently disconnect at that point..

I hated trying to contact gov/corporations 20 years ago, and the entire situation has only gotten progressively worse over the years..

Latest posts

Back