Do you sometimes wonder what it would have been like to have started dating young?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
duff said:
annik said:
Hmm I still think 12 or 13 is too young to be dating, but then again I've been called a prude more than once! Actually even when I was that age and people were obsessed with starting to date I thought it was all pretty laughable! I was pretty sensible I guess.

I do hate this rush to grow up. I wish people didn't think about it till 16 / 17. I mean have friends, have fun. Don't worry about relationships. I was so much more confident and together before I'd ever had one.

As for 7? I think some people think its "cute" when kids pair off in the playground and harmless, which it probably is to be fair, still makes me squirm though.

Personally I began at 19 / 20 and even though I've had experiences and boyfriends I wouldn't say I'd had a real relationship until I met my current boyfriend (I was 30). While being that age doesn't bother me the issue is my experience compared to my boyfriends. I'm going through the first exciting throws of love while he has had steady relationships and has two children. I find that hard at times. Though I still don't wish I'd met him at 17 as we wouldn't be the people we are now.

the school prom is getting popular in this country now.

Never had it when I was 16 or 18. I'm glad I wouldn't have gone
I didn't go to mine. I didn't miss much.

Moe said:
duff said:
annik said:
Hmm I still think 12 or 13 is too young to be dating, but then again I've been called a prude more than once! Actually even when I was that age and people were obsessed with starting to date I thought it was all pretty laughable! I was pretty sensible I guess.

I do hate this rush to grow up. I wish people didn't think about it till 16 / 17. I mean have friends, have fun. Don't worry about relationships. I was so much more confident and together before I'd ever had one.

As for 7? I think some people think its "cute" when kids pair off in the playground and harmless, which it probably is to be fair, still makes me squirm though.

Personally I began at 19 / 20 and even though I've had experiences and boyfriends I wouldn't say I'd had a real relationship until I met my current boyfriend (I was 30). While being that age doesn't bother me the issue is my experience compared to my boyfriends. I'm going through the first exciting throws of love while he has had steady relationships and has two children. I find that hard at times. Though I still don't wish I'd met him at 17 as we wouldn't be the people we are now.

they have the photo's in the local paper. All the lads and lasses dressed up. I don't mind it, youngsters dressing up and enjoying themselves, hopefully not getting too drunk. I do think about the ones who don't go though, the lonely ones !

In our society not everybody is going to be accepted. There will always be outcasts !

Personally, I'd rather date as a 20-ish year old. Much more independent, able to go more places, and do more things.

duff said:
Moe said:
duff said:
annik said:

they have the photo's in the local paper. All the lads and lasses dressed up. I don't mind it, youngsters dressing up and enjoying themselves, hopefully not getting too drunk. I do think about the ones who don't go though, the lonely ones !

In our society not everybody is going to be accepted. There will always be outcasts !

Yea. That's true unfortunately.

annik said:
Sorry the last book I read was Carrie so you know...proms! :p

Haha, I love that book (and movie, might I add!)

I went to my prom stag, because I figured my crush would be there...stag as well. I ran into her with her boyfriend...excused myself, and got sick in the bathroom...then went home.

I was probably at my prom for only 30 mins, so...yeah, I don't have a good memory of it. I did love the After Proms, though...I loved playing the games and winning prizes at 3am, plus the social aspect (and I never liked dancing that much.)

I do wonder what it would have been like to date knowing what I know now, what I have learned about myself, who I am now.

I didn't do much in my younger days but it doesn't bother me. Had I done stuff like date more, it might have changed the person I am today for the worst. I think that by not doing things like that, I avoided potential mistakes and heartbreak. Things that could make me unhappy if I thought about it today. Instead, I like to think that by not experiencing relationships in my younger years, I have matured better. I value people more.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
For those over 25 and inexperienced, do you sometimes wonder what it would have been like to have started dating when you were 13? Or have kissed as a young child?

I wonder this. I had a girlfriend when I was in the third grade, but we didn't kiss or anything...and she broke up with me, rather cruelly might I add...I have never had any interest since then, or anything I could act on, so I feel kind of pathetic.

Ego is playing with you. Ego is in the past and telling what if...what if.
It is never late, now is the moment. Recognize you weaknesses, write them down. You thnig you are not attractive, go to gym, dentist ..
You have do not have expirince and do not know what to say? you have internet it is easier then ever to find put what to say...

Always did ok with girls when I was younger. In all honesty I was more interested in music and drink than women.

I don't wish I dated younger but I wish I had of fell in love for the first time when I was younger. I used to use the girls I dated, I never really cared for them, just for myself but then I fell in love when I was in my early 20's and now its completely destroyed my life as I get closer to the 30 mark and worry about all the things I should be doing but wont. I don't ever want to put myself in the situation where I am in love again because it hurt so much. My thinking is maybe if it happened when I was younger, I would have dealt with the pain quicker and more effectively.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
For those over 25 and inexperienced, do you sometimes wonder what it would have been like to have started dating when you were 13? Or have kissed as a young child?

I wonder this. I had a girlfriend when I was in the third grade, but we didn't kiss or anything...and she broke up with me, rather cruelly might I add...I have never had any interest since then, or anything I could act on, so I feel kind of pathetic.

Yes, this happens to me too.

It sucks to see kids half your age making out in the street, it's a crude reminder of the fact that I'm 26 and still never had a gf.

I wasn't allowed, according to my mom, to start dating until I was 16. Although I never gave much of anyone the time of day, simply because I was just never into the whole going out with guys scene. So, no, I don't want to imagine starting to date so young.

Felix said:
Yes, this happens to me too.

It sucks to see kids half your age making out in the street, it's a crude reminder of the fact that I'm 26 and still never had a gf.
I found that not having a gf has helped me focus on my ever improving online gaming skills.

Okay, maybe I was too retarded for my age but I didn't even know anything about dating or even that you are supposed to "take an interest" in girls till I was about 17. I might have been before than that but that's probably when I completely realized. I had a bunch of guy friends and I was busy being a guy, you know, learning stuff. :p

But yes, I do have a regret. I do not regret not dating when I was 3 or even 12 but I regret not having bonded with girls at 17, 18 or even 19. When I felt my first crush, when I could have felt that "puppy love" that a lot of people talk about.

It's just sad. Now I'm too far down the line and I don't think I can ever get out of those regrets. Meh.

I'm 23 but yes, all the time. I just feel like I missed out on learning the ropes that you learn when you're young. It's like jumping from elementary school right to senior year of high school. "Calculus? WTF?"
I just don't know or understand the game. Makes me so apprehensive to try even though it's all I want.

Latest posts

Back