Does anyone agree with this? (Society Vs People)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satchel421

Reaction score
I have a very interesting feeling of rejection. I feel like society has rejected me 100%, and that it's a bad thing that only brings out the monsters in people. I don't want to fit in with society because of the horrible way it has treated me.

However, I feel like people have done nothing wrong. I don't tell myself, "I hate people! I just wish everyone would leave me alone!" I want to fit in with people, I want to be accepted by them.

I always tell myself that society is the bad thing, not people. It's so hard to explain, I won't even try, but does anyone see where I am going with this? How society is bad, but people are good? They are the same thing, I know, but I see them so differently.

Yes. Especially when it comes to matters of for example, the media implanting images of what is normality and beautiful.

Satchel421 said:
How society is bad, but people are good? They are the same thing, I know, but I see them so differently.

They're not the same in my opinion. People fit in with society on a level which is not entirely representative of who they are. Someone who loves football will talk to mates about football. He won't talk to them about his interest in quantum electrodynamics because he knows they won't be interested. So he fits in, but is also his own peerson.

That you recognise there is a difference, and don't want to alienate yourself from people just because of societies flaws, is very positive. I wish I had always been so enlightened.

One of my favorite quotes of all time is from the movie Men In Black, of all things. "A person is smart, but people are stupid", agent K said. Absolutely true, unfortunately.

I've thought in similar terms regarding the causes for my loneliness:

BLAME SOCIETY. The capitalist system breeds and encourages a warped system of materialistic values. This marketed construct of normality does little but degrade the worth of the individual and consistently undermines our attempts to achieve empathy and compassion for one another. It distorts the suffering of humanity into a parody of suffering.

BLAME OTHER PEOPLE. It seems that most other individuals in this country have truly been brainwashed into believing the marketed projection of the American Dream. They eat Big Macs, get their hair cut into the latest stupid fashion trends, buy warehouses full of cosmetics, earnestly hope that the Buckeyes will win the latest Tostitos sponsored Rosebowl game, and cruise around in their Lexus to show off how much more they have than I do. They reject and ignore me because I don't look quite "normal," act quite "normal," and I'm not into all their lame conformist forms of entertainment. Other people are full of venom and judgement.

BLAME MYSELF. I'm an ugly stupid coward. I'm alone because I was too afraid to approach others, because I was too weak to make something of myself, because I exude my own shrieking sense of insecurity.

BLAME NO ONE. There are good and bad points to society. It corrupts many people while it forces others to rise above it. There is a wide spectrum of ideas in America. Somewhere (in real waking life) there is a community in which I could belong. I have my own weaknesses and my own strengths. Seek out the lessons of the past but try not to dwell too much within the past. Use my bitterness only as motivation to move forward.

Casting blame for my failures serves as an acknowledgment that those failures are concrete when I know that the future remains malleable.

There's good and bad people everywhere you go.
I've been good and bad myself.
I ve seen beautiful place and ugly places.
I've met a kind person and a mean person.

Ive been LETTING GO of a lot of feelings and thoughts. It's helping me.
Feelings of wanting to be accepted..Feelings of wanting seperations.
Feelings of pains and feelings of joy.
Letting go of blame too.

I'm fully aware of my feelings I don't deny my feelings.
I'm aware that life can be crule and unfair.
I'm also aware life can be beautiful and loving.

Letting go of everything. Not figuring it out so much anymore. Transparent like. It is what it is.

I'm more at peace today. I had a lot of mental and emotional bagages (pains/suffering) I was holding on to.
Just letting go is helping me. It's too simple. I'm a complicate person, btw.
It's working for me. It's not the only way...but it's working me.

I can actaully sit down and play my guitar for a couple of hours and be in the moment today.
Be in the presence. Be in the now.
Some people will term it as being in the presence of god or
I've achived sometype of spiritual enlightenment. Who knows...I don't need to know or want all the answers.

Just being well or at peace thats all....

Funny fact... Let me think of something...
America earned its independence by fighting an opressive colonial society, and still now the right to bear arms exists because of the mistrust of people against any society/high authority. Your ancestors knew that if the USA were becoming opressive as well, the people should be able to throw down this threat. I think the right to bear arms was a kind of deterrent against this risk, but i don't know if it's still relevant nowadays.
Anyhow here is the fact: the well being of the society doesn't mean the well being of the people.
The problem is, as Unacceptance said, medias are the mean to control people for these societies. So people's minds can easily be spoilt.

luciddisconnect said:
BLAME NO ONE. There are good and bad points to society. It corrupts many people while it forces others to rise above it. There is a wide spectrum of ideas in America. Somewhere (in real waking life) there is a community in which I could belong. I have my own weaknesses and my own strengths. Seek out the lessons of the past but try not to dwell too much within the past. Use my bitterness only as motivation to move forward.

Casting blame for my failures serves as an acknowledgment that those failures are concrete when I know that the future remains malleable.
I like the blame no one option. It really can change you for the better.

I really don't have anything to add to this discussion other than to say I am finding each post helpful.

Lonesome Crow, you must have gone through a lot of determined soul searching to finally come up with such wise and insightful observations. Thanks for passing this one along!

Lonesome Crow said:
I'm more at peace today. I had a lot of mental and emotional bagages (pains/suffering) I was holding on to.
Just letting go is helping me. It's too simple. I'm a complicate person, btw.
It's working for me. It's not the only way...but it's working me.

I was just thinking of something similar to this today. I was thinking about how I can do some of the strangest most bizarre things that just make people go WTF and laugh. At those times I'm not the slightest bit self conscious. Then there's times where I'm afraid to act, even if the act is to say a simple, "Hi." I think the key difference between these times is that the anxiety hits me at times when I'm lost in my head. The times I make people laugh are when I'm lost in the moment.

It can be really hard to stay out of my head sometimes.

We, people, created the society and we just get lost in them. Maybe we just need to go back to where it started.

You have the eyes to see the difference. What you have to do is just accept youself and then other people acceptance won't matter anymore.

It's hard for people to accept other what we can do just accept ourselves.

Latest posts

Back